Author Topic: Change of gameplay possible?  (Read 4788 times)

tyromaniac

• PGP
Change of gameplay possible?
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
I was fooling around the other day trying to make a map, when it hit me that maybe it could was possible to add yet another game mode to Paintball, using very little tweaking.
If you've ever played battlefield, then you'll know about the conquest mode (a mode in which you take over enemy bases and may then respawn there as you wish).  There are probably a bunch of others with the same style, but this is just an example. So i saw that the entities for world spawning and such had keys which you could program to do certain things. One in particular was the "time" or "wait" function. If used correctly, I think we may be able to tie the world spawn entity to a flag or other strategic object, and whoever gains control via the wait/time key, Will be able to spawn there ( a key for switching between what team had possesion would also be included). The wait key will also decide when the enemy will have taken over the base  if they decide to try and take it back, using the set amount of time. I wonder if this makes sense to anyone, and if it is possible. It seems logical to me. Any suggestions?

TinMan

• Autococker
Re: Change of gameplay possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:37:29 PM »
I'm down, that game mode is in almost all great war games, why not paintball? Jits, please look into adding this.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
That would be a lot of work.  It would be more than just modifying entities.  You'd have to have provisions for selecting spawn points, etc.  I'm also hesitant to rush in and add new game modes considering how much advantage has been taken of the last game mode additions.  Also, conquest style gameplay is designed for large maps with high player counts (16-64 players), whereas paintball2 tends to favor small maps and low player counts (4-8).  I have considered it, but I just don't think the gameplay would quite work out very well.  Players would end up spraying the spawn points like they do on no-elim servers, and it just ends up being really boring or frustrating, depending on what team you're on.

I think a better idea would be to take the KOTH mode entities and create multiple points.  Your team would then have to keep the enemy off of all the points in order to score.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:00:27 PM »
tyro, do you play tremulous by any chance?

tyromaniac

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:17:01 PM »
that alien game? I used to...for like three days XD

But couldn't you configure it to automatically select the farthest spawn point? Say if "point1=capture, point2=no capture, and point3=capture, select point 3?

We could easily have a huge game day, like the pickup game every 8 days.....

Also, spraying wouldn't be a problem because, people do it in pretty much every other game like that. None the less, with machine guns! So paintballs would probably have less total spawn kill effect.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:54:34 PM »
Also, spraying wouldn't be a problem because, people do it in pretty much every other game like that. None the less, with machine guns! So paintballs would probably have less total spawn kill effect.

dont forget that in pball its one-hit kill, not when your health hits zero. you could get hit a few times in the other games and still stay live, but not here.

tyromaniac

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »
True....but at the same, there could be a set time where the player would not be affected by paintballs...like in many games when they flash rapidly when they collide with a bad guy...but I definitely see your point...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 11:54:50 PM »
like in many games when they flash rapidly when they collide with a bad guy

...what?

Anyway, the only thing I'd maybe like to try out is have paintballs not be a one-hit kill. Maybe 3/5. I'd just like to see how it changes gameplay.

[bd]imalamp

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 01:19:18 AM »
all i have to say is bf/2 is the best game in the world i cam back to dp fro maping and if you can make me feel at home with conquest GO FOR IT

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 12:58:43 AM »
This is not "bf/2", nor will it ever be. We don't want to imitate them, this game is it's own.

Stop it.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 08:35:24 AM »
Anyway, the only thing I'd maybe like to try out is have paintballs not be a one-hit kill. Maybe 3/5. I'd just like to see how it changes gameplay.

but then spawn killing roommates wouldnt be as fun!

tyromaniac

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:22:58 PM »
Sorry to revive a rather dead topic, but I also have a suggestion of a "kill the man with the ball" style theme, or for those of you who play games like Halo; Juggernaut. For those of you who are unfamiliar with either of these two, one person is designated as the "target" in which everyone works together or not together to eliminates the target. Whoever eliminates the target, becomes the target. You want to be the target, and eliminate people while you are the target to earn points. Another way of earning points could be "who is the juggernaut the longest" (somewhat oddball). This may also be possible with simple modding of the flag entity......or maybe another possible game mode. I understand that Jitspoe gets a lot of people who constantly tell him to do a butt load of stuff, and he's only one person, nonetheless the one who should decide what goes into his game. So I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this annoyingly long post.  ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 12:14:56 AM »
You would have to design maps specifically for that, like KOTH. And we've all seen how well KOTH has done. On a side note, I suggested that, but slightly differently. There's one autococker on the map. Everyone else has a low gun, maybe a pgp. Only kills with the cocker count, and maybe killing the guy with it.

tyromaniac

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
If you ask me, I think everyone should have the same chance at having a good gun, so you don't constantly have the juggernaut the same person the entire game, as well as ending the game with him/her as the juggernaut. Also, I'm assuming once you kill the juggernaut you have to pick up the autococker to become the juggernaut? Well, sometimes the auto cocker might fly into an area that no one can get to......but very unlikely.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »
or how about this: one player is chosen at random at the beginning of the match to be the "hunter" who looks for the randomly chosen "target". the only way to get points would be to be the hunter and kill the target (5pts.), to be the target and kill the hunter (5pts.), or to be neither the hunted nor the target and kill the hunter (1pt.). to become the hunter you would have to kill him. and a new target is chosen once he is killed by the hunter.

tyromaniac

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 05:13:07 PM »
Very interesting concept, but how would everyone know who the hunter and hunted is? Would they have there names somewhere on your screen? or would they be lit up when you are within seeing distance? This may require alot of work, as well as a lot of thinking.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 08:01:37 PM »
the hunter and target could have an icon over their heads, or better yet: the hunter has a red jersey, the target has a blue jersey, and the rest a yellow jersey. that sounds like it would be hard to implement though. what do you think?

tyromaniac

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 08:17:09 PM »
Well, it would be weird as people would constantly be changing colors....as well as altering some of the configurations.....

I also had another idea that is more likely possible without modifying the game itself.

A red and blue base would have shields (transparent or solid, depending upon author) that only the team could pass through. Using a trigger entity or by directly hitting the shield which will have a set health, if you destroy a switch or the shield, you may now get into the enemy's base and take the flag. Defending the shield would be just as important as taking out the enemies shield. If the shield has health and only "opens" (like a door) only for the specified team, I think it could be very possible.

(shoot me for saying all this, but I'm just trying to see if it is possible to change the game play without changing the game, as well as a deviation from what is normally played daily.)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 09:47:40 PM »
that would be a good idea too. i need to start learning how to make maps, and get off my lazy butt.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 10:49:07 PM »
Well, it would be weird as people would constantly be changing colors....as well as altering some of the configurations.....

I also had another idea that is more likely possible without modifying the game itself.

A red and blue base would have shields (transparent or solid, depending upon author) that only the team could pass through. Using a trigger entity or by directly hitting the shield which will have a set health, if you destroy a switch or the shield, you may now get into the enemy's base and take the flag. Defending the shield would be just as important as taking out the enemies shield. If the shield has health and only "opens" (like a door) only for the specified team, I think it could be very possible.

(shoot me for saying all this, but I'm just trying to see if it is possible to change the game play without changing the game, as well as a deviation from what is normally played daily.)

All we need to accomplish that-
team based doors.
entities that reset every round.