Author Topic: makeing maps  (Read 4533 times)

yo_79

• PGP
makeing maps
« on: February 15, 2004, 03:42:01 PM »
hi again and you guys probably think im an annoying retard by now but if oyu know me in the gmae, ([ck]shizza)  then you would think im cool.  anyway how do you guys make maps?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
Re: makeing maps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 08:48:35 PM »
well first thing is first you need a program i use gtkradiant. http://www.map-center.com/  go there and see what you can find that might work best for you. then just come back here and get the newest upgrade thing so you can add paintball guns and other things only in paintball (if you want to make a paintball map).  

if im forgetting somthing say so fourthx?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 12:32:23 AM »
I really need to get the documentation pages done. :P

snipperdag

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 02:04:29 AM »
Get the documentation done and a pb.def file cos there is a couple kicking round here and its all a bit messy :)

I'll make ya some maps if it becomes less muddy, I done one or two over the years for different games. It'll give me time to fully understand the weps while u do it, I have a tendency to get the nearest and off I go :D

Snipperdag

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 02:55:58 PM »
There are 3 map editors that seem to stand out for DP.
BSP, WorldCraft, and QuArK.

BSP is the most used by the mappers of the community.
WorldCraft - DirtyTaco uses this.
QuArK - Me and FourthX use this.

Google em up, check them out, and pick one accordingly to your preference. Then you should be set =]

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 03:35:16 PM »
i use radient for q3 is there a radient for pb? if so i would love to make maps for pb.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 04:24:19 PM »
You can use radiant to make q2 maps.

snipperdag

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 04:32:31 PM »
Do I smell, it took ages for me to get a reply ;)

Quark = Nasty Nasty NO NO! - Too many discrepancies for me when you compile (messed up coordinate system)
The other's i'll take a look at but I just about got a version of radiant to work which is my overall favourite.
Gtk refused to load textures without a crash and q3r isnt really q2 minded so I bodged one together from bits here and there.

As im using the standalone version, can this game be run in software rendered or can I optimise for opengl?? (ie:- custom compile options)

Plus is there anyone who wants to run through wep placement with me when i made somethin :)

Snipperdag

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 06:43:47 PM »
Quark works fine for me  ;D

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 08:03:05 PM »
i got q3 radiant where can i get q2 radiant? http://www.qeradiant.com/ i can get it there but i dont know what one works with paintball. is all the stuff ready for me to make a pbmap entrees?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 10:15:01 PM by Excalibur »

IronFist

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004, 07:28:24 AM »
Does anybody know how to select multiple brushes without 3d-window clicking them? I need to grab all the brushes from the right side of my map, and extend, so the center can be longer... I tried doing this in quark, and went to see how hard it'd be to convert the map back to BSP's format, but it looked like I would most likely fail. Besides,  programming/scripting just makes me want to go play some CS these days.
btw, I'm chopping trespasser into 3-4 "sectors"..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 07:29:06 AM by IronFist »

snipperdag

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2004, 08:50:01 AM »
If this is Radiant we're talkin about then possibly.

Drag a big brush over the area you want selected and click the Select Inside button somewhere at the top to the left of CSG Subtract (dependant on radiant version)

Snipperdag

Darkphyre

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 12:22:57 PM »
WorldCraft is likely the most intuitive of the editors but BSP is more powerful in terms of some of the editing functions... and just stay away from Quark unless you really know what the hell you're doing. lol.

Xile

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2004, 01:49:37 PM »
Yeah, i know what the hell im doing =]

snipperdag

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2004, 05:14:22 PM »
I hear quark now has a fixed coordinate system which is great news :)

But while Im back in rad is there anyone who fancies advicing me on weapon/spawn placement on the map I knocked up this morning??

My icq is 312803051 if any long term players want to suggest stuff. Its my frst map so probly fair bit of advice needed.

Snipperdag :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2004, 05:36:05 PM »
http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/v2/docs/ents.html

That's the old entity descriptions.  I'd optimize for opengl.  The standalone doesn't support software anymore.

IronFist: in BSP, just shift+click and drag.  You'll select everything in the box.

I think any radiant editor should work.  Don't quake2 and quake3 use the same .map format (aside from patches)?

I used to use WorldCraft.  It's more newbie friendly, but it can destroy your maps.  It uses floating point values natively, then converts them to integers before compiling, causing lots of little gaps and misaligned brushes all over the map.

Oh, and you don't have to have an editor that supports jpegs.  I have all the textures in .wal format with the BSP download on the files page.

snipperdag

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 04:46:43 AM »
Right i've made me first effort and emailed it to jitspoe. If it doesnt totally suck I might have another go and make biiiiig maps. Just lemme know what u think :)

Snipperdag

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 04:24:45 PM »
Yay!  Someone knows how to use clip brushes! *sheds a tear*

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2004, 03:22:19 PM »
just so i can make better maps that are better than YardSpeed...(http://www.freewebs.com/eri3ch/Stuff/YardSpeed.bsp)

what is the height of a player?
what is the height a player can jump?
what is the longest a player can jump?(at top speed?)
how big is a player when he crouches?

all in "units", plese
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 05:59:44 PM by eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2004, 10:03:45 PM »
Players are 56 units tall, 32 wide.  With a high framerate, they can jump up to ~62 units (but don't rely on that).  Longest distance really depends.  If you have something like ice, players can build up speed to 200+mph and go really far.  Crouched players are really short, like 21 units.  I'm probably going to increase that or something, so don't rely on that, either.  32 units should be safe.