1 (2.5%)
Dalnet
0 (0%)
irc.gg-center.net
19 (47.5%)
GameSurge
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: New Server?  (Read 11859 times)

Money

• PGP
New Server?
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:40:29 PM »
There has been a new server going around but I'm not sure how it will work out or even if we need to use a new server.
 So i think we should take a vote to where we should go

Smokey

• Autococker
Re: New Server?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 06:49:44 PM »
There has been a new server going around but I'm not sure how it will work out or even if we need to use a new server.
 So i think we should take a vote to where we should go
What a stupid poll, clearly we're going to use gg-center.

nobody wants to use qnet or efnet or dalnet even.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 06:50:42 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:32:31 PM by IronFist »

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 06:52:40 PM »
Not a whole lot wrong with the server that we've used for so long unless your an idiot that likes causing trouble and taking over channels.   I do wish they had Nickserv and Memoserv options though.  They also need to finish up their Chanserv code.  To date I still don't think they've fixed their !members command.  I used to love DALnet but I think they've fallin apart since those days.  If the community does decide to move I'll of course follow.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:00:34 PM »
I chose EFnet because its mere existence as an option is a joke.  :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »
IronFist: I edited the poll and added GameSurge.  By the way, if GameSurge is the 2nd largest, what's the largest?

Heh, we used to be on EFNet -- that place was crazy.  Splits, channel takeovers, etc.  It was basically every man for himself.  That's definitely out.

I don't know about irc.gg-center.net.  It's too new to tell.  It could be another rigamer.  Great for a while, but never really achieving mainstream popularity until it finally dies a slow and quiet death.  If we moved, I'd like for it to be a bigger network where people could access channels liked without having to connect to multiple servers.

Moving is a pain, too, and I'd rather not do it without a compelling reason.  We always end up losing about half of the channel population.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 07:46:11 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:32:28 PM by IronFist »

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 08:14:59 PM »
IronFist: I edited the poll and added GameSurge.  By the way, if GameSurge is the 2nd largest, what's the largest?

I guess I could say largest primarily North-American based network :D

quakenet is pretty farking big, so it takes the cake, even though there's a ton of foreign people on it (mostly european):

...121,818 invisible on 35 servers

Vs. GameSurge:

...27,534 invisible on 23 servers

The only negative to quakenet is that it is a bit efnet-ish; it is so old that they should probably be switching services, but there is really no way to do it without massive uproar and chaos. The L/Q services are quite...scary.

With GSurge, you're dealing with a largely canada/america gaming base, most mods are located there (although foreign stuff ends up at quakenet), and the services (SRVX) are well-developed and quickly popular with most other small networks (like GGC). GS uses auth-based logins, rather than nickname-based logins, so you can't keep a nickname, but you also don't have the annoying problem of people regging every good nickname out there.

Leet-o graph:
http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/top10graphs.php

edit: One reason people are advocating a GGC move is because...certain people... probably stand a better chance at getting helper status or something that makes your e-penis  huge. I don't think GGC is internally stable enough to warrant moving any channel of size >30 over there. I mean that both staff- and server-wise (too many servers at FDC). I also have plenty of reasons to be speaking overly optimistic of them, so don't think I'm just being a uber-hater.

OMG I WANT 2 B A IRC HELPER

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
I think if we switch to any server it should be gamesurge, I think if we did switch to gamesurge it would open up the game more to other communities.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 01:08:40 PM »
yeah lets move to game surge the SPAM CENTER OF THE WORLD. seriously, have you ever held a real conversation on that network? no. its almost impossible with all the spam bots and cs adds. 

When GGC first opened to the public I did ask some people to check it out and possibly move there...once that failed I sort of just sat back and didn't really care anymore.  But now that some people are, yet again, fed up with our current network they realize there is a good alternative. Sure you can go to quake net (full of non-us gamers (which is good for the Germans)) or even to game surge (with like 20 billon adds spamming everywhere (ie: 5v5 your de_dust cali++++ pmnow!!!!!!)) or you take it to a smaller network with the same services as game surge, that doesn't have the spam or the splits of the other two networks mentioned.  GGC is totally willing and able to support our game on their network, its just an alternative to ETG, considering half of our active community is glined.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 01:57:16 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised to see that EFNet has almost the most stable graph on there.  I also didn't realize QuakeNet was larger than EFNet.

I really don't see much of a reason to move.  All the networks seem to have their pros and cons, and none of them seem to be much better off than ETG.  The only reason I see this even coming up at all is because 3 or 4 people did something stupid and got banned, so now they're like, "Let's get everybod to move to this other network where we're not banned."  Say we do move.  How long before somebody does something stupid on the new network and gets banned and the cycle continues?  We've moved the channel, what, 3 times?  4 times?  The grass is always greener on the other side.  It's not worth moving the whole community just to accommodate for 4 or 5 people.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 02:07:16 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised to see that EFNet has almost the most stable graph on there.  I also didn't realize QuakeNet was larger than EFNet.

I really don't see much of a reason to move.  All the networks seem to have their pros and cons, and none of them seem to be much better off than ETG.  The only reason I see this even coming up at all is because 3 or 4 people did something stupid and got banned, so now they're like, "Let's get everybod to move to this other network where we're not banned."  Say we do move.  How long before somebody does something stupid on the new network and gets banned and the cycle continues?  We've moved the channel, what, 3 times?  4 times?  The grass is always greener on the other side.  It's not worth moving the whole community just to accommodate for 4 or 5 people.
No, etg admins are stupid. It takes more than 3 days sometimes to get an admin/helper to help you out, hostmask's arnt hidden, the services blow.., they have so many bullexcrement rules that you have to follow, its horrid.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 06:24:33 AM »
I talked to kismet briefly about this.

<jitspoe> some people are trying to convince me to move to gg-center...
<kismet> i wish you wouldn't :(
<kismet> ggc isn't going to last long, there are less than 300 max users ever.........
<kismet> and those who are wanting you to move are those who have been removed from this network because they continually break the rules

Doesn't seem she has the hatred for us that JOE tried to depict earlier, and said basically the exact same thing I did about motives for moving.

So let's put together some pros/cons on the top 3 networks voted for:

gg-center
+ More services
- Small, might be a bust and die shortly.
- It hasn't even launched yet.  We have no idea how well it's going to handle large user loads once it does.  The network might fall apart and become split city.

ETG
+ We're already there.  It's been pretty tried and true.  Probably the best of the 3 or 4 different networks we've been on.
+ Fairly large and developed, but not so large that it's all chaotic.
+ Admins are fairly active in enforcing the rules.

GameSurge
+ More services (same as gg-center?)
+ Very large and developed.
- Prone to spam.

frozi

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »
to stay in etg would be the easiest way. in my opinion

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 10:05:05 AM »
we are already transfering over... might as well follow us, or be left behind.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 10:58:40 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:31:40 PM by IronFist »

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 01:15:17 PM »
rofl, i never asked for any of that iron, it was just simply given to me...you can ask butta if you wish.  Oh yeah and iron, Im on GS all the time....in 4 channels and they are nothing but spam. period. hell they arent even cs chans and its still cs spam or server company spam its all spam.

Jitspoe: I never said there was a hatred towards our community but rather a dislike dating back many years.  And GGC just wants us there.  As for the services, yes they're the same as GS with many more user modifications. 

As far as i can see the active portion of th dp community likes GGC for its custom fakehosts and their services. 

So let's put together some pros/cons on the top 3 networks voted for:

gg-center
+ More services
- Small, might be a bust and die shortly.
- It hasn't even launched yet.  We have no idea how well it's going to handle large user loads once it does.  The network might fall apart and become split city.

ETG
+ We're already there.  It's been pretty tried and true.  Probably the best of the 3 or 4 different networks we've been on.
+ Fairly large and developed, but not so large that it's all chaotic.
+ Admins are fairly active in enforcing the rules.

GameSurge
+ More services (same as gg-center?)
+ Very large and developed.
- Prone to spam.

GGC has Improved Services compared to GS and ETG
GGC has a smaller userbase, but will eventually become a top runner in irc networks
GGC offers the ability to register your own channels, rather than waiting til an admin is available, or waiting in line in #registration
GGC wants us to be there, whereas ETG could really care less (as kismet has said to me before)

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 01:22:51 PM »
I think GG-C is probably the best choice. DP already makes up a large portion of their network. Their admins are always on, its easy to reg a chan, they provide fake hosts and more. I'm sure it will do fine after its launch, dont see any reason why it wouldnt.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 01:24:51 PM »
In addition to J0E's remark, I'd say, that GGC's admins are much gentler compared to those on ETG, including the availability of them. There are always like 3 admins present at every time of the day, compared to waiting for 4 days until you receive a mail from ETG's "service team".

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 01:28:45 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with ETG, we are already there why move?  It doesn't really matter to me though except my computer is all messed up so i cant register a nick on ggc.