1 (2.5%)
Dalnet
0 (0%)
irc.gg-center.net
19 (47.5%)
GameSurge
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: New Server?  (Read 11860 times)

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 11:05:36 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:31:18 PM by IronFist »

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Server?
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2006, 12:29:54 AM »
ETG
+ We're already there.  It's been pretty tried and true.  Probably the best of the 3 or 4 different networks we've been on.
+ Fairly large and developed, but not so large that it's all chaotic.
+ Admins are fairly active in enforcing the rules.

ETG
-It takes 2 to 3 hours to get a channel registered, if your lucky. If your not, anywhere from a day to a week.
-The services arent even developed, how long has !set members been being upgraded for? Months.

And also:
Quote from: kismet
<kismet> i wish you wouldn't
<kismet> ggc isn't going to last long, there are less than 300 max users ever.........

You have to keep in mind that GGC is mostly former-etg admins/helpers that saw that etg was going no where and decided to leave. I would bet that if it was any other server that we were moving to kismet would not care as much, I formerly advertised game surge in one of my clans topics. Today I put in #team_Redemption's topic "We moved to irc.gg-center.net #team_Redemption", RIGHT after I put that in there kismet joined saying "you have to take that down!" i said "okay", and then after i said okay i was glined till december. Kind of rediculous? I think so.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 09:39:21 AM »
Now that is hilarious!!

You're very correct with the 2 ETG downfall points you make.  It seems to me that ETG needs to view this as a wakeup call.  Not all those who are moving to GGC were trouble makers on ETG.

I'm not personally ready to make any kind of move but plan to be wherever the majority of the community is.  I hope GGC gets more servers and can maintain a large user base ect...

If I were to move I would probably listen to Ironfist's statements about GS.  He seems to have a strong knowledge about Networks and GS seems to have well established service.

If I were ETG and I knew there was a risk of losing a large base of users, I would get busy and tidy things up a bit around the house.

- Complete the Chanserv script especially a common command like !set members and !members
- Either light a fire under the present list of opers or recruit new opers who can be there to help the patrons of ETG.  I'm positive that the DP Community isn't the only community that is tired of having to wait for hours, days, weeks on end for help with a problem.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »
I only registered a channel once on ETG and I don't remember it being that big of a deal.  It's not like it's something you have to do very often.  I don't think this has much to do with services, though.  It seems like it's just an excuse to me.  Here's what I think the true reasoning is:

Smokey:
Banned from ETG.

Tom:
Banned from ETG.

bitmate (or was it b00nlander?):
Banned from ETG.

JOE:
Feels the above are critical to the community, plus bain had left ETG to get away from the immaturity, so ch1ll was basically already on that network (which joe took advantage of to push people over, "ch1ll match script has moved!  Everybody else needs to move, too!").

This small group of people, along with their friends/clanmates has been trying to convince everybody that this other network is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that everybody needs to move over there.  Several people went from being g-lined to being ops/half-ops.  Why wouldn't they want people to move over?  I really don't feel this is a legitimate reason for moving, especially to a small, underdeveloped network that hasn't even launched yet.  I don't feel like repeating gamesurge and rigamer.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2006, 02:30:02 PM »
"I don't feel like repeating gamesurge and rigamer."

I've never been on either so I can't really make a fair and impartial comparison.  I came from many years on DALnet and had a blast there before I came to ETG...  Now that I'm at ETG, I'm comfortable with it however, I really wish they would take the downfalls people are mentioning and get them taken care of.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
They only have 3 servers and you expect them to be able to hold a huge user load?  All you need is one script kiddy to attack it and the whole thing's going down in the blink of an eye.

I talked to bain since I was curious why the ch1ll/pbcup stuff had relocated.  He said he was not happy at all that the dp community was switching over.  Apparently he left ETG to get away from some of the immaturity, and then he ended up getting stuck with all the people even ETG rejected.

I was about to bring this up when i read this post. Don't take this as meaning everyone, but it seems to me that the whole reason for the switch is that a few bad apples couldn't get away with their behaviour on etg, so decided to try and move the whole community.

The only problems I ever had with ETG is, and not to name any names (Smokey, Tom Vendetta, etc), is that a few guys seemed to think they could act like an ass to other people. As it goes, I like ETG even better now.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2006, 10:45:59 PM »
User temp banned for this post
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 11:47:37 PM by Olbaid »

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2006, 11:37:59 PM »
well, i got glined too from etg. for asking why kismet is banning everyone. then standing up for dp in #etg. they were talking about how the dp community is dumb. and i spoke my mind. so i am now glined.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I was g-lined from ETG for 1 week for a legitimate reason. During that time I stayed on irc.gg-center.net, over the course of that week my experiences on irc were 10times better. All the cool people from ETG (minus geom and a few other helpdeskers who i miss :'( ) were on ggc. The services were pretty sweet. At first the NickServ thing was kinda confusing, however I understood it rather quickly. The staff were very friendly and talkative in #globalgamers, unlike ETG staff.

I planned on going to GGC for a week and coming back to ETG. I decided that I wasn't going to go back to ETG, cause I liked GGC 10 times better. I went onto ETG and put in our topic "We moved to irc.gg-center.net in #team_redemption!", this wasnt advertising intentionally, it was just letting people know that we relocated, I mean, you dont move and then not inform friends and family, do you?

Anyway, after I put that in the topic IMMEDIATELY, like, not even 5 seconds later kismet joined our channel saying "Remove that immediately!". I said "why?" then "okay." After I said okay I was glined for a month for advertising. Ridiculous? I think so. It is obvious that they are trying to stifle the voice of the dp community by glining us and giving us no option but to stay on etg. Oh, by the way, we requested a !scrim feature like on ETG, they started working on it that night. Would take ETG years.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2006, 12:55:07 AM »

This small group of people, along with their friends/clanmates has been trying to convince everybody that this other network is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that everybody needs to move over there.

if by 'small group of people' you mean the majority of ACTIVE DP CLANS, then you'd be correct.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »
Then go.

Splinter off and do what you need to do.  So there are some nice added features with the other networks. That's great. Go for it. 

For ALL of the years I have been here ( from the beginning) I never once have had problems getting an admin, or had problems reg'ing a chan or getting help on anything.

We rarely have netsplits anymore ( unlike the early days - RIDE THE WAVE) and 999 out of 1000 times have no problems connecting.

Just quit your bellyaching and go! Then you can all talk behind the backs off all the people that stayed behind.

There is no reason to move.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
along with their friends/clanmates

In other words, 3 or 4 people got banned/fed up and pushed their whole clan to move over.  Some of that was pressured by moving the match scripts, etc., too.

That said, though, I'm not pleased with the way ETG has handled the situation.  Instead of providing us with incentive to stay, they've been g-lining people/locking channels for "advertising" gg-center.  If we do move, I guess I won't be able to inform people where...

I really hate to jump ship and pile into a dingy, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about sticking with ETG.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2006, 02:23:28 PM »
i think bitmate says it best "ETG controls us, GGC encourages us"

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »
It does seem like they just gave up taking care of ETG.  I visited their website http://www.enterthegame.com/ and the last time the news was updated was clear back in July 06'.

It's becoming more and more clear that ETG doesn't much care whether the DP community stays or not.  It will be interesting to see where everyone winds up or if this ends of dividing the DP community.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2006, 04:43:28 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:30:44 PM by IronFist »

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2006, 05:59:08 PM »
Woohoo!! LOL 

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2006, 08:47:12 PM »
Just one last thing regarding GGC's Servers:

Apeiron/Helba (2 of their 3 servers) Can hold 5000 users each

I was also informed that they have some 'spiffy' DDOS protection.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:56 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:30:12 PM by IronFist »

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2006, 11:57:07 PM »
if im not mistaken, isn't the GGC cookayz (US) server a former enter the game server (ca.enterthegame.com)?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2006, 11:24:33 AM »
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/dpballircnetwork/

Even though i already think that we're there to stay..