Author Topic: Is an orgy scene in your latest map really the impression you want to make?  (Read 20867 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
We already had some complaints about language used.

Now the latest hyped  map has an orgy scene in it. And people routinely play with names like Penis, or a million variants on the them, girl thingy face, etc. (I notice the word is even blocked here.)

It is ridiculous.

This is not the way to build the community. Unless of course you want more of  the freakish folks who hang out in the server  and talk about how they just touched their balls and the smell is turning them on, some random discussion of a girl endorsing  prostate milking, etc...actual conversation last night on Super's server. (When Super was on he discouraged it. I tried to get the guy to drop it  later too, and eventually he just sat there in observer mode and was fairly quiet).

You already had one kid rumored to have been told he couldn't play because he dad saw someone comparing the match to anal rape.

Jitspoe keeps saying he is worried about poor looking graphics in maps. Well this to me is a much  bigger problem. No one will take this game seriously when we do this.

Come on folks. This is not a good thing for the game.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:08:50 AM by m7feettall »

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's a free online multiplayer FPS game thats almost 10 years old. Who cares.

James

• 68 Carbine
You are officially the most insecure player in DP. Jitspoe will return for his crown someday.

IronFist

• Autococker
I'm working on making the Ultimate Weener (tm) for DT's new map, Boobieland. The only way to have fun these days is to celebrate immaturity and weeners.

Luckily, I have the attention span to make a good, solid weener. It will probably be spinning around, so you can watch the weener spin and laugh at it. I should be able to finish it before DT's new map.

bug

• 68 Carbine
It's a few frickin' blue and red blocks in the shape of stickmen... if you have a problem with these "orgy scenes" you are not in any way obligated to play a map you don't like. Deal with it.

Spook

• Autococker
they are a good camping spot too, especially in crimethink. !SNIPED!

m7feettall

• Autococker
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's a free online multiplayer FPS game thats almost 10 years old. Who cares.

While the game is old it still has potential, is still being developed and could still draw a respectable community who enjoy it. But most of the first impressions are poor.

Jitspoe seems to be putting effort into promotion, so why include things that turn people off?

For all I know Jitspoe thinks it is fine.  I don't know either way. But if he is concerned about marketing then this is a poor choice. You please a few and turn off many.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
AAHHH, JACK THOMPSON PLAYS DP NOW?

Eiii

• Autococker
Oh, thanks for linking that. Jach Thompson is so unknown on the internet. :P

More on-topic, I don't think it's that bad. It's not really graphic...

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
i have to agree with m7feettall it just shows how immature the community is and we wont be able to get new members till some of us grow up.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
Re: Is an orgy scene in your latest map really the impression you want to make?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 11:05:13 AM »
wow, as if you all didnt know that DT's signature on most of his maps is some sort of sex scene...look at carpathian, crimething, the unibonger map.  Its not like this is a 'new' thing for him to do in a map, and it provides a bit of comin relief.  Not to mention that he is undoubtedly the best active map maker around for match maps, so give it a rest kid.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 11:22:58 AM »
If you dont like it, dont play it.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »
I wish I could bring my maturity level up to that of Excalibur's.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 12:23:34 PM »
wow, as if you all didnt know that DT's signature on most of his maps is some sort of sex scene...look at carpathian, crimething, the unibonger map.  Its not like this is a 'new' thing for him to do in a map, and it provides a bit of comin relief.  Not to mention that he is undoubtedly the best active map maker around for match maps, so give it a rest kid.

A. Previous instances of poor choices do not excuse current ones. No I was not  aware of the other scenes. That hardly makes me think this one is alright.

B. If the best mapper in the community were a pedaphile who was using the game to hunt down kiddies would you still think we should avoid offending him because of  his skills? You either have standards or you don't. It doesn't matter if he is the best mapper or not.  If anything your best mapper should be the one most wanting this game to go forward, because more people will enjoy his creations if the game prospers.

C. The issue again is how people will view this community. It only takes a few comments  to stop certain folks from downloading the game who might otherwise enjoy it. I have seen these types of comments before for games on download sites.

D. Here in your own words is what we don't want people thinking of the community:

http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=3295.msg38912#msg38912

Quote from: Joe
The problem with this community is simply that EVERYONE (yes that means you) is immature.  I dont care if you're 45 or if you're 12, I can probubly pull up Logs from IRC that show you acting like a child.  The servers are not a problem, they are there, they get used, any complains are handled by server admins reletivley quickly.  I believe to fix this community would be an extremley difficult task.  People tend to bash on dp because of our immature nature.  If people would just act their age and learn to speak to each other in a respectful manner, everything would get solved.  I'm not trying to ound like a hyprocrit (sp?) here because I too act like a crying 10yr old at times as well.

This game attracts players with such a vide range in age, if everyone would just act more mature there would be no problems in the community.  Even if the older players (people who have been playing for a long time -or- people who are lets say 18+) should really just act like respectable people and I'm sure the community will improve. 

This is just one more symptom. The fighting, flaming, hacking, swearing and constant references to sexual acts will turn off people who just want a fun game to play.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:46:39 PM by m7feettall »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 12:52:31 PM »
I don't find DT's sex scenes appropriate, and I think I've said once before that they keep his maps from being included in any official releases.  I have a bit of a compromise for this map, though.  I let DT have his middle school mentality fun and added a setting in the next version to remove it if server admins find it inappropriate.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
How does it do that jitspoe?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »
what i would do tom is bring the map up on bsp take the scene out then write a script (me write a script yea right) that if the script is there it pulls out the map with out the scene. but then again we all know I'm not smart. and DT i wish you could bring it up to my level too. I'm not saying there are times when I'm not immature we all are at tI'mes. what I'm saying is A) im not like that all the time and B) i would never make a map that shows that I'm immature every time its played.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 02:11:01 PM »
Well, bob ironfist, tom, spook, joe, smokey, bug, myself, and far more members of the community: I guess we're all on the level of middle schoolers for finding stickmen sex scenes funny.

Since considerably more people in the community find the scenes funny than don't (add the fact that these aren't pub newbies) I guess the majority of the community is stuck in middle school still. It's too bad a game of such heights and depths could attract so many middle schoolers </sarcasm>.

True Excal: any map you made would probably have one path and all autocockers + steel barrels; a mapping style that exhumes maturity. In fact, your excellent spelling grammar skills are a testament to you being a pillar of maturity.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 02:16:03 PM »
keep in mind that the majority or the community is still in their early teen years. how mature do you actually expect them to be. i don't see anything wrong for the older players to act immature every now and then. i mean if you were mature 24/7 365 what kind of life you would have? I'd say that is pretty boring in my own opinion. i agree with this topic but its a free online game and without filters and other stuff there is not much we can really do about it.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 02:19:09 PM »
"i mean if you were mature 24/7 365 what kind of life you would have?" <-- jitspoe's.