Author Topic: Depression... what to me to do?  (Read 4421 times)

AnjelikaM

• PGP
Depression... what to me to do?
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:01:55 AM »
In September has suddenly died my aunt, and it was to me as native mother.
 I have not uttered any teardrop though it there was a greater loss! Also has begun: the FEAR is has started to operate me, instead of me. There are no forces - ABSOLUTELY! I should sit, stand, something to do. I feel constant weariness. Contrary to to all I WISH to live, I do not wish to be the madwoman!
What to me to do?

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Depression... what to me to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
see a counselor

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:29:20 AM »
what in gods name

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
see a counselor

and learn english. im not exactly sure what you said.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 02:06:33 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:24:41 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
...I think s/he forgot to ask for donations at the end.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 03:27:41 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:29:57 PM by IronFist »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 03:56:23 AM »
In September has suddenly died my aunt, and it was to me as native mother.
 I have not uttered any teardrop though it there was a greater loss! Also has begun: the FEAR is has started to operate me, instead of me. There are no forces - ABSOLUTELY! I should sit, stand, something to do. I feel constant weariness. Contrary to to all I WISH to live, I do not wish to be the madwoman!
What to me to do?

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

The real question is how to move past the feelings that you are dealing with.  There is a natural grieving process. And there is no real way around that. However, sometimes grieving goes beyond just sadness and causes us to shut down, and to think on things all the time. While this can be expected for a few days, weeks etc. after several months as you describe it might be a problem.

Do you feel any responsibility over her death? Any guilt?

This is of course not easy. We cannot just decide to not be sad. It is an emotion. And we can't order our emotions, but only try to lessen their effect.

However, since emotions are the results of circumstances, and grow out of actions, etc. we do have a way to have some effect on our feelings.

Here are some steps I would suggest.

1. Sit down and make a schedule of things to do the next day.  When depression sets it can be hard to do the normal things that you need to. Include such simple things as

a. get up
b. shower
c. eat
d. clean house

Right now if you allow yourself to sit and think all day you will go deeper into your thoughts of grief.  Out of control emotions that are fed get worse, not better.

2. Agree right now that you will not continue to dwell on thoughts of your aunt's loss. Now simply NOT thinking of something is difficult. It is best to have something positive to think about.  Are there others in your life who need your help? Family? Friends?  Trying to be social at this time not only builds new relationships which you need for support, but temporarily takes your mind off of things. I realize you may have to FORCE yourself to go places where people are. That is alright. Force yourself. After you go you will likely find it was better than sitting at home.

Some ideas for socializing:

a. Be around family if you have others to lean on.
b. volunteer somewhere in the community
c . take on a part time job if you are not working
d. go to community events

3. If you are religious you might see your priest, pastor, rabbi, etc. Prayer is also helpful.

If you are not a counselor might be a good idea.

The main thing that you have to realize is that the only control you have over your feelings is your actions and your will. Feeling loss is natural. And you should not feel bad about grieving.But you have a choice on what you dwell on, what you think about, during the day. You need to intentionally refuse to think about these things constantly, and find new things to get you active until you can get back to a more normal state.

If you like you can send me a personal message on the forums to talk more about this.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 04:08:17 AM »
I don't want to point u in a direction but getting help anywhere is a start! Good luck!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 04:22:27 AM »
If you google exactly what s/he said, you'll see the hundreds of other places this has been spammed. Really, you shouldn't take it seriously.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 05:51:26 AM »
If you google exactly what s/he said, you'll see the hundreds of other places this has been spammed. Really, you shouldn't take it seriously.

If it is not serious, that is fine.  It was only a small amount of time that I took to type it out. And perhaps someone else who is actually depressed might benefit from it. and if it is true then it is not something to take lightly.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 06:52:52 AM »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 04:46:42 PM »
Oh my god, that's the best response ever. Also the best place to ask for that kind of advice.

BTW: Sorry guys, I think I've found a new, BETTER community to be in. This is probably my last post here, I'm moving.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:29:52 PM by IronFist »

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 04:56:55 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:24:28 AM by P!nk »

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:29:47 PM by IronFist »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
$.99 per post.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 05:20:09 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:24:25 AM by P!nk »

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 05:20:40 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:29:43 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 10:57:34 PM »
the FEAR is has started to operate me, instead of me.
I'd recommend the assault rifle as a starting weapon.  It has a good balance for close range and distance combat.  Remember to aim for the head as it does 1.5x's the damage.  Also get a good feel for the melee attacks as they provide instant kills.  Good proximity mine placement can also be very helpful if you can lure unsuspecting enemies to them while they're focused on combat.

If you prefer the single player, I'd suggest getting the FEAR Extraction Point expansion.  It's a bit short, but a lot of fun.

Your first problem is: Don't ask for therapeutic advice on a forum that I reside on.
Fixed.

I always find it funny that spam tends to make it to the appropriate forum.  I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of the spam is, though.  Looks almost like it was translated from Chinese.