Author Topic: Paint Grenades  (Read 11535 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Paint Grenades
« on: April 15, 2004, 01:53:13 AM »
Since several people have different opinions on whether or not grenades should explode on impact, I have a couple propositions:

a) Have two different types of grenades.  One explodes on impact, the other is timed.
b) Continue to have one type of grenade, but two different tossing modes, like "tossgren timed."

punkkid

• PGP
Re: Paint Grenades
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 06:17:28 AM »
I think that it is better gameplay for grenades not to explode on impact.  But, as I'm sure Jit knows, the Tippmann paint grenade that the paint grenades were obviously modeled after explode on imact.  So if you're going for realism...

http://store.yahoo.com/shire/tippaingren.html
Squadbuster grenade contains non-toxic paint that is held under pressure by a heat crimp in the tubes. When the grenade hits the ground the crimps break and a huge amount of paint is sprayed everywhere.

But, is this game really realistic?  No.  Is it wierd to answer your own questions?  Yes.  But anyway, I like the current system of making it a server variable.  Personaly I like timed.

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 07:59:22 AM »
The impact grens are too easy to use, if you angle them up slightly to a wall it creates a tube of death like 30 ft long.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 11:26:02 AM »
well, if you put it in so that you need to time it. IE you need push say the f key to prime it, time goes 1....2....3...(etc.) then the f key again to toss it (at any time during th count down), that could make using the grenades a bit more challenging to use, and on top of this you could maybe change the size of explosion????. I mean i can see fourthX's point, you can get a good spread by doing this. im not sure, maybe i just dont like being able to instantly toss them, just IMO.  But putting a primer on them and using the non instant grenade explosion might make them...not as deadly???? IDK, im confusing my self now =P

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 11:59:42 AM »
Its not about which is more realistic or not, or which is easier to use or not, its about which makes gameplay more balanced and fun to play on a public server and competitive in a match.

So if you think about it that way, its obvious the impact grenades are the better choice.  I understand what people say about just being able to throw a grenade against he wall and take out 4 people without needing to aim... but you gotta understand that that only happens if you are playing a super poor small map or the players suck and all jumble together, so thats not even a serious issue.

Whereas non-impact grendes can be just luck.  Someone can just pick up a grenade, randomly toss it in the general area of the other team, and then run and pick up another grenade and randomly toss it in the general area of the other team again.  Someone from the other team could turn a corner and then get hit by a random grenade.  Theres absolutely no skill or strategy at all in that.  So what happens is you get grenade tossing spray, so to speak.

Maybe if you could prime it before tossing it or something.  The longer you hold the grenade before tossing it, the longer it will last before exploding.  Otherwise you could just toss it righta way and it will explode on impact.

Or you could just make them however it was during the beta days, cuz then not as many people will complain....  Most people cant handle innovation  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 12:03:36 PM by RoyalBlood »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 12:45:29 PM »
I think you guys are missing the point of this post.  I'm not trying to revive the impact vs. timed argument, but rather offer a compromise.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 01:05:45 PM »
I like the idea of charging up the grenade, the way most games do it. The longer you hold the button, the faster it'll detonate, but also the greater the chance it'll go off in your hand. Adds a bit of skill while giving both timed and instant grenades a place in the game.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 01:18:59 PM »
your right, i totally missed the point, i suck =), none the less, i Think option B would be my choice in that case being that is kinda what i was getting at in my last post, with the timer etc.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »
my choice is B but i would also add that the longer you hold the gren the farther it will go (limit on how far) and the longer it will take to explode (limit that too) so say reg grens (impact) goes 10 feet (sake of agument) but if you hold the gren for 10 secs (lets say thats the max before it goes off in your hand) if will go 15 feet (crosshairs in the same place as the first gren) and will take say 5 secs before it blows.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 09:46:58 PM »
Actually, that's kind of backwards.  The longer you prime a grenade, the sooner it explodes.  That and about 3 rounds will go by in 10 seconds. ;)

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 11:55:38 PM »
depends on the map pbcub yes brainstorm no

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 05:51:16 AM »
I like the grens we have now.. But B sounds like an ok option to have.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 07:00:01 AM »
Well, the thing is, different server admins use different settings for the grens.  I'd like to find a way to compromise and be consistent.

punkkid

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 07:19:40 AM »
Ok, I missed the point too.  I understand what you're getting at now.  I prefer option B.  Just to be clear.  "tossgren timed" and "tossgren explode" would be seperate commands.  Players could set up binds for each and use them in seperate intances?  Even though most people, including myself, would just replace the "tossgren" bind with which ever they prefer.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2004, 12:19:50 AM »
ahh.. nice, that sounds really cool, letting us choose =]

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 01:31:20 AM »
Ok, I'll make it so "tossgren impact" makes the grenade explode on impact, "tossgren timed" is timed (like the old grenades), and "tossgren" uses whatever the server setting is.  That's a lot easier than making a new type of grenade. :)

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 09:33:48 AM »

So if you think about it that way, its obvious the impact grenades are the better choice.

It's not obvious at all, actually. Either grenade style "can be just luck." However you CAN use bouncable grenades strategically, where as the primariy use of an impact grenade is to eliminate something within perimeter and throwable proximity (why not just.. shoot them? Ah, I know why..). I agree with the fact that if large, open maps dominated the public and match scence, then the effectiveness of impact grenades would be sufficiently muted. "Obviously" though, this isn't the case.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2004, 11:02:09 AM »
Well Blitz, I think the game is alot more fun with them in the game. I loved the er33t servers.. but you shoulda put grens on! You guys didnt even add the bouncable ones if I remeber correctly..

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2004, 02:41:11 PM »
The bounceable ones were out for a period of time because of a "bug" created by the developers which made ALL grenades essentially explode on impact.

I'm really liking the priming scheme Fryth has mentioned.  Here's how I would implement it:
- Hold 'tossgren' to prime the grenade.  While holding 'tossgren' the player can not fire shots(reducing defensive spray+grenade spam).  OR A simple keypress launches a 3(or whatever) second timed grenade.
- Timing for the grenade decreases proportionally to the time to hold 'tossgren'.
- After 3(or whatever) seconds of priming the grenade becomes explode on impact style.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2004, 07:46:33 PM »
no, sometimes you need nades at the press of a button...not after 3 seconds. i like fryth's way too, but impact nades are really helpful.