Author Topic: Paint Grenades  (Read 11531 times)

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
Re: Paint Grenades
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2004, 10:28:11 PM »
Yea, they're too helpful. If you need it at 'the press of a button' then shooting should be sufficient...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 09:38:21 AM »
well, if there are a lot of people, or someone's on the other side of a wall...you might need a grenade fast.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 06:49:24 AM »
Not if your Blitz!

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 12:25:59 PM »
PLEASE don't put in two types of grenade fire; that's silly. There are enough binds already; you don't need two different grenade buttons to worry about.

Instant grenades are cheap and random. Priming adds strategy! C'mon... I'm surprised more people don't see it this way...

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2004, 12:38:51 PM »
" Instant grenades are cheap and random." How are they random if they explode instantly?? You aim, you fire, they die. Random is throwing it over the barrels on PBcup, waiting a couple of seconds and relizing no one was actuly there.

How does priming add strategy? People keep saying it does, but I havent seen anyone say WHY it adds this strategy. IN WHAT WAY IS STRATEGY ADDED? Other then the fact no one will want to use grens anymore because you cant even fire for three seconds. How big of a pain in the ass is it to refill your co2 for 4 seconds?? Alot happens in that ammount of time, especialy on smaller maps.

TWO MORE BINDS?!?! OMG! Actuly no, youll like one style more then the other and probaly only use one of them. I enjoy both though, so I dont mind the extra two binds.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2004, 12:43:05 PM »
Let me add one more then, if you people really want strategy, why dont you turn on FFire?? Hmm =]?

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »
You still think timed grenades are random? Let's compare the two grenade types: Let's say I rush in Arctic and toss a grenade over the barrels.

INSTANT: Boom, everyone advancing on you is dead. They had no warning. Nothing. They just die, out of the blue, dead.

TIMED: They at least have the chance to see the grenade flying through the air, bouncing on the wall, and failing that, sticking out of the ground. Yeah, everyone might miss it and just suddenly die, but surely, this scenario is better than the instant one.

Instant grenades are ALWAYS cheap. Timed ones are only sometimes cheap.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 12:53:37 PM »
BUT.. what about the grenades we have now?? Whats wrong with those, they are certainly not instant UNLESS you hit someone with it. Why do you want to replace that type with your idea? Its basicaly the same thing, only now you dont want to allow me to use my gun anymore.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2004, 12:55:13 PM »
Well, if you time it right, you can make the primed grens go off in mid-air. That's cool.

The not-using-your-gun thing isn't really a major issue for me.

btw, jits, consider the debate revived :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 12:56:35 PM by admin »

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 12:58:01 PM »
well, if there are a lot of people, or someone's on the other side of a wall...you might need a grenade fast.

I would imagine that it's quite difficult to get an explode-on-impact grenade *around* a wall. If there's "a lot of people" around you, then you should have to deal with the obvious disadvantage (and not pummel a grenade at your feet, killing anyone within proximity..  ;))

On a related note, I also favor Fryth's 'priming' scheme. By holding the key down, you could effectively prime an explode-on-impact grenade. Also, this would present a new strategic value, whereas the player is able to partially-prime a grenade creating a more potent version of the current fixed-time grenades. The time needed to prime an instant-impact grenade would (hopefully) harness their overly-powerful attributes.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2004, 12:59:03 PM »
Thats because you dont use your gun when you have it <G>. Granted having a gren go off in mid air is a neat idea, I had not thought of that. And I would agree to this option IF I could throw the grenade at any point in time. I dont want to HAVE to hold it for the full three seconds unless I want to.

Ok another Added note, sorry Jit.. You reading all these? =]

What if I decided to hold it until it exploded?? Would that cause death to anyone around me?? Suicide bombing people would be fun.. Id like to say doing that would cause me to die as well, therefore when doing that you take your chances. And if you die before it goes off.. well it still goes off?? I mean it is a live grenade after all. You dieing doesnt stop it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 01:14:44 PM by Anrkist »

mr_slacker

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2004, 02:15:35 PM »
Ok this may not or may be in the same line as what you guys are talking about ... but i always liked to see it be random? let the comp decide the time wether it be instant or up to like 10 secs.....
??? just an idea

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2004, 07:26:10 PM »
You still think timed grenades are random? Let's compare the two grenade types: Let's say I rush in Arctic and toss a grenade over the barrels...

Your logic is flawed in using Arctic as an example. ;)

Here's my stance on grenades.  They're GRENADES.  They're designed for taking out LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE.  That's why you can only hold ONE.  Timed grenades are so ineffective that they only eliminate maybe 1 person for every 10 grenades thrown, and half the time those are direct hits.  If you want direct hits, you can just shoot people -- considerably more effective!

If the Quake2 physics weren't so fast, they'd be pretty effective, but the way it is now, the only way to get hit by a grenade is to either stand around in one spot for a long time, be completely oblivious to an incoming grenade, and/or run into an area where a grenade is already sitting.  These seem more like lack of skill or bad luck on the part of the opponent than skill on the part of  the thrower.

I think calling impact grenades cheap is like calling the paintball markers cheap because it only takes 1 shot to kill someone.  If someone throws a grenade at your feet and he's standing right in front of you, it's your own fault for not shooting him first!  I mean, he's standing right in front of you; it only takes one shot!

So the way I see it:
Impact grenades:  Powerful weapon for taking out groups of opposing forces.

Timed grenades: mostly useless; depend entirely on luck.

I also think grenade ffire should always be on -- people won't throw grenades at their feet if they keep eliminating themselves. :)

Another thing to think about: newbies.  I think a lot of people dislike impact grenades because they don't like being eliminated by newbies.  I'd like for this community to grow, and the only way to do that is through more newbies.  If it's impossible for them to get any kills, they probably won't want to keep playing.

On the subject of priming grenades, my idea is like this:
+tossgren starts the priming
-tossgren throws the grenade.
So you'd do something like, "bind g +tossgren" and pressing G would start the prime, releasing it throws it.

Another possibility would be to make it so you have to switch to the grenade to use it -- like the hand grenades in Quake2.  I think impact grenades would be more justified then, since you couldn't just throw them at the ground in the middle of a fire fight.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2004, 07:47:41 PM »
i think reg grens (impact) are great right now but there should only be 2-3 per map per side. i also like the priming part of the gren. it should be the longer you hold a gren the fast it will explode so holding it for 3 secs makes it blow on impact put just throwing it when you see a guy hoping to kill him it will be delayed.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2004, 09:41:57 AM »
gah, back to my first statement. if you delay a grenade, it'll be just sheer luck. toss it over a wall where everyone is. in 3 seconds they won't be there. in 2 seconds they won't be there. by the time you've primed it for 1 second, they won't be there. what i'm saying is, it accually takes some skill to take out 3 people with a grenade. i like the current grenades, but the current timed ones are nice too, to set a short trap when people are 2 sec away.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2004, 01:52:20 PM »
whats good about timed ones are to throw the gren and when the ants go running away to hide from the paint you jump out and get in enemy base when they are all hiding for that all improtant flag grab then kill them all in the back :D

ASDA

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2004, 03:26:27 PM »
THAT GREN WAS COOL I WANT ONE :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(l

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2004, 05:19:42 PM »
okay, this guy's getting on my nerves. someone give him...a warning or something. jits?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2004, 06:39:06 PM »
yea i told him not to use that glow on all his post.

ASDA

• PGP
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2004, 08:28:52 PM »
SQUADBUSTER IS THE BEST