Author Topic: Menu Background  (Read 3924 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Menu Background
« on: April 18, 2004, 08:52:37 PM »
Since I've gotten so many complaints about the menus being laggy, I guess I need to do something that takes a little less fillrate.  Any ideas on what would make a cool background?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
Re: Menu Background
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:15:40 PM »
moving bg or non moving bg?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 03:54:26 AM »
I'd like to have some kind of effect going on there -- obviously something that uses fewer layers than the current one.

punkkid

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 06:53:01 AM »
I've noticed that just one of the backgrounds really laggs for me.  The others are fine.  I think, like you said, not having so many layers.  The ones that don't slow me down, are the simpler looking ones.  Although, I think they still look great.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 07:46:24 AM »
Um... there's only one background... what are you talking about?

punkkid

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 11:06:59 AM »
Do I come up with the stupidest stuff or what?  I swear that sometimes when I start, the background has all of those layers moving and it's laggy.  Then sometimes it doesn't have as many layers and it's not as laggy.  I swear!  I'm sure you know about the things that you made.  But I swear it.  I'll check when I get home tonight.

Maybe I have double vision... That's why I miss people I swear I hit...  Hmmm...

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 12:41:48 PM »
i was thinking the same thing THERE IS MORE THEN ONE BG? anyways how about a simple like shooting gallery movie you can have like a player pop up and then another one pops up (3d stuff) and shoots it like your behind a guy at a shooting gallery thats using paintball guns and paintball player models? i dont know im just thinking out of the blue i will prob come up with somthing better later.

KeV

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 04:17:25 PM »
Can you just compress is? What program did you use to make it...Flash?

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 04:52:01 PM »
I dont really find the background laggy.  Maybe those people just need to upgrade their computer.  Mines a few years behind as it is, so its not like you need a beast of a computer.  Just something better than a pentium 2 and voodoo3  :)

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 07:24:41 PM »
its not the need for people to upgrade their machines, my system specs look something like this:
1.4ghz AMD
1024 MB of ram
Geforce4 TI4200
etc
It lags for me, so its not a matter of people upgrading their machines, i think maybe an option in the menu for one animated and one non-amimated option. It doesnt matter what either look like, if people dont want it animated then they can just disable it, and not worry about it.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 08:09:20 PM »
bg are not that big of a deal to me its just a bg but i can see peeps not liking the laggy ones.

I GOT IT! a slide show of screen shots. sshot of pbcub that slides out of the way making room for a sshot of castle sliding away for a sshot of sandtrap and so on and so on.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 06:30:29 PM by Excalibur »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 07:14:27 PM »
i'd like a slide show of sshots, or mabe a little lo-rez demo of some sort. that you could record over. something like that.

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 08:57:17 PM »
that would be cool having a demo that you can record over so you can have like the best game you have played, as your bg

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 04:23:05 AM »
Demos take too long to load.

meat: I'm amazed it lags with those specs.  That's not right... what framerate are you getting? (type cl_drawfps 1).

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 08:42:41 AM »
When i have the console down/menu open. it sits right around 25 fps when im not doing something, if im monkeying around in the menu its all over the place, generally lower.  I have the res set to 1280x960, which is generally what i play most games at, the refresh rate is set to 75 as well.  I can tolerate it, but if you want/are going to change it, im not going to say no =).  BTW, in game my framerate stays at 72 consistantly, no slowdowns, which is why I posed the question in the first place.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 09:19:54 AM »
That seems really slow for your system specs.  Do you have the latest drivers installed?  Hit up http://www.nvidia.com/ and grab the most recent drivers.  You might also need to use driver cleaner to make sure you get rid of the old drivers completely.  I'm using a geforce1 with a 400mhz celeron and getting like 40fps in the menu (though not at that high res).  The consistent framerate of 72 is due to vsync, since your refresh rate is at 75.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 06:44:07 PM »
heh, yeah, ive used the driver cleaner once or twice now, and have tried the latest drivers.  When I use the latest drivers, I lose the tv-out functionality along with the entire nvidia properties area, where i can customize my refresh rates and such.  So I've been leary to try this again.  Although, maybe ill give it another try, hopefully it will work.

QtipDOG

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 03:36:31 PM »
I think when the game starts and the menu comes up, a bunch of paint splats appear in the background. Like your being shot at.
-----------------------------------------------
Never get an HP Pavilion.
RAM: 63Mb(supposed to be 64Mb)
Intel Celeron: ?MHz