Author Topic: How do i do this??  (Read 2031 times)

brad16

• PGP
How do i do this??
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:12:27 AM »
ok, im a noob to dp, and i was wondering how can i make a server that my friends can connect to..

i made a new game, then i gave my friend my ip address then he typed in connect 'my ip addy' but it wont connect?? how do i set this up?

any help would be great..

brad

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: How do i do this??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 10:00:06 AM »
That's the correct way to do it.  Perhaps you have a firewall that's blocking connections?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:19:19 AM »
*If you have windows xp it comes with a firewall try turning that off.
*If you have a router you will need to take it off and get a direct connection from your modem to your computer

brad16

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 11:53:36 AM »
ok, thanks, i forgot to turn the xp firewall off on my usb modem, i had it turned off for my eithernet network, but forgot about the cable modem..

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 10:48:09 AM »
That's not true at all Excalibur. brad, if you're using a Linksys Router, connect to "192.168.1.1" in your internet browser. On the login window that comes up, type "admin" ass the password, with the login name box empty. From there, go to Advanced, then Forwarding. Forward the port '27910'(or whatever port you're using for your server), to your internal IP address. For any other router manufacturer, read the manual on how to log into the router and how to access port forwarding.

brad16

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 11:23:35 AM »
my router dont have port forwarding... all i am using is a hub with a firewall on every pc... so, all of my ip's are 192.168.0.x, my modem is 192.168.0.1, and my pc's are .2,.3,etc.. so i cant do that, all i can do is connect my dsl modem directly to my pc..

at the time i started the thread i was at my g'mas w/ cable internet....

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 03:52:06 PM »
So your modem is hooked directly into the hub?  One thing you could do is put two ethernet cards in a single computer, hook the modem to the computer with one, and the computer to the hub with the other.  Enable internet connection sharing on that computer, and there's some advanced options that will let you set the port forwarding, or, if that's the computer you plan to run the server on, you won't need to do any port forwarding.  That's how I run my networks usually -- one potential drawback is that it requires the one computer to be running for any of the others to have internet access, but I leave mine running all the time anyway.

brad16

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 03:50:56 PM »
i dont like doing that intenet connection sharing thing, i have always had problems with it... i set my dsl modem to where it is a gateway,plug it into my hub, and i set my laptop(wich is what i play dpb on) to the actual IP address, and i set the others to the 192.168.0.x ip's.. that always seems to work fine that way..

<EDIT>
i usually leave my desktop running all of the time, but it's too slow to run DPB, or at least my video card it is too outdated, so i have to play on my laptop, i am gonna buy the crap and gut out my compaq as soon as i buy my paintball crap, and that's gonna be like $500 on it's own... so it'll be a while before i can do that.. my desktop is a Compaq presario 800MHz AMD Duron, 8MB nVidia Vanta LT, 256MB Ram, and 40GB Hard Drive, Upgraded to Windows XP from Windows ME, i have been meaning to re-build it for about two years, but never got to it, im so ashamed of it...lol
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 03:55:09 PM by brad16 »

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 07:40:14 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:04:32 PM by IronFist »

brad16

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 07:55:39 AM »
i think my router does support port forwarding, but the problem is, i have to use it like a hub because when i plug my modem into the "wan" port on the back of my router, it acts like it's not plugged in.. i have a 3COM Home Ethernet Gateway, i think i need to reset it or something, but i dunno how to do that unless i go and buy a serial cable and go into terminal and re set it that way.. i was running linux on my desktop, it was connectiva linux, but the problem was that i needed windows on it, so i couldnt keep it on there, i think i might have enough parts to build a pII system in my closet, so i just might build a gateway out of that...

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 08:48:06 AM »
What do you mean by "acts like it's not plugged in"? Does the light on the router for the WAN connection turn on? You will probably have to go into your router setup (look in your manual for instructions) and look at your settings for the WAN connection. Try releasing and renewing the IP address (there should be Release and Renew buttons). If your IP address starts with 169.254.* then you will probably have to call your ISP and tell them what's up. Some ISP's have to update their database when you switch MAC addresses (interfaces that the modem is plugged into).

brad16

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 07:24:40 PM »
yea, i know all of that, i need to reset my router, i let someone borrow it a while back, and they screwed up the settings in it, so i need to reset it... but in order to do that, i need to go out and buy a null modem cable.. i am gonna do it in a couple of weeks..

now what i meant by "it acts like it's not plugged in":
My router's Wan light dont come on, and on my modem, the ethernet light doesnt come on, so they wont make a connection, i think they are incompatible...

I Have a 3COM Home Ethernet Gateway with a SpeedStream 5360 Ethernet DSL Modem that i got from SBC when i got their DSL.. and no, i can swich my MAC addy any time i want to... my ip starts with 68.254.*, it releases and renews daily, my modem does all of that though..

mabye u can get something out of these screenshots i took of my modem setup.. i dont get anything from here, mabye you can sift through this and see what is making it incompatable.. this is my modem set up..

http://home.insight.rr.com/brad16/screen/screen1.jpg
http://home.insight.rr.com/brad16/screen/screen2.jpg
http://home.insight.rr.com/brad16/screen/screen3.jpg
http://home.insight.rr.com/brad16/screen/screen4.jpg
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 07:31:14 PM by brad16 »