Author Topic: Official Feature Vote of 2007  (Read 229792 times)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Official Feature Vote of 2007
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
1.) Sharp turns
2.) Wall-jumping
3.) dashing

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2007, 01:52:10 PM »
lmao go play warsow.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »
or DeFRaG.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Kill Cam would be a really neat feature. that's definetly my #1 vote.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2007, 04:56:51 PM »

How about this. Record each kill as a temporary demo that can be viewed and/or saved when the game ends? That way if the elim time is at 1 or nonexistent, you can still see the Kill Cam. Kinda like in the game Burnout, where at the end of each race you could watch your crashes and save them if you wanted to.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
nah just a waste of space

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2007, 08:35:02 PM »
yeah that would be a waste of space, just make it optional whether you want it to be displayed or not kinda like the jail toggle...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2007, 08:40:37 PM »

How about this. Record each kill as a temporary demo that can be viewed and/or saved when the game ends? That way if the elim time is at 1 or nonexistent, you can still see the Kill Cam. Kinda like in the game Burnout, where at the end of each race you could watch your crashes and save them if you wanted to.
The thing is, it can't go back in time and start recording before you get the kill, so it'd have to record the whole game, then cut the demo. I don't think it's worth the work it would take.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2007, 08:48:32 PM »
Thats why i thought it would be a better idea for build 18 or 19.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2007, 06:53:46 PM »
After getting yelled at for bad recon, ::) because i had to scroll through 9 players, it would be nice if there was a feature to only scroll through the other team/s while dead.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »
I have a request for feature removal: map voting.

Map voting has caused the same 3, horrible, maps to be played over and over again in pub: shazam33, barrels, and seigecastle. I can join a pub at almost any time of the day and one of these three maps will be playing. If it isn't playing one of them than surely the next map will be one of them.

Now this problem isn't entirely jitspoe's fault. I agree that in theory map voting seems like a good idea. However, we could not predict that Superman would create a 32 person server (incredibly bad idea for this sort of game) and start a trend which GT and OTB picked up on. These 32 person servers fill up with funname newbies that vote for one of these same three maps over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Apparently camping the flag on siegecastle, spraying the high jump on shazam33 and tossing grenades on barrels are enjoyable activities to these newbies. Since the advent of 32 person servers, I don't believe whatever map i've voted for has ever gone through.

As odd as it sounds, I would rather put maplist control in the hands of Snipen than allow 12 year old Germans to decide what map I play when I'm playing pub. While the quality of maps would probably not increase, at least there would be more of a variety of maps.

So please, for the sake of the sanity of people who play pub and also have half a brain, either remove map voting or make it so servers can only have 12 people in them at a time.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
make it so servers can only have 12 people in them at a time.
I do agree with dt in this part...there is no map at this game that can support 32 players without ruin the all gamplay...

Anarchy

• Stingray
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
make people not be able to talk in matches so they cant spam "NOOB", "HACKS" and so on when they die.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2007, 04:47:51 PM »
actually, I believe DirtyTaco does not see the correct reason for the endless loop of these maps.  I think that those maps are being played over and over simply because they are the ones with the mapinfo set for such large teams. I'm not even sure if those newbies "vote" for any map, they might just click that annoying window away as I do when it pops up, without voting for anything.
I guess there are 2 ways to solve that problem:  get rid of those large servers (thus creating smaller teams which will allow more maps to get into rotation) or modify the mapinfo-files.

Uncle

• PGP
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2007, 06:00:13 PM »
My apologies if this has already come up...

There seems to be a great deal of focus on kill ratio as a determination of a player's skill. How about adding a column to the kill/death/grab table that calculates a player's performance based on a combination of metrics? For example, one point for a kill, minus one for a death, five for a grab...

Could even get fancy and add a factor based on the gun used (e.g. 5 points for a PGP kill, 3 points for a Trracer etc.) Or, the score could be expressed divided by time so those joining pub games part way through could still get to the top of the board if they play well while there.

The table could then be presented in order of overall performance score as opposed to number of kills.

If a system can be developed, it might be a way of tracking overall player standings, assessing improvement etc.

Thoughts?

*edit*

Just realized there is another thread relating to stats - sorry... Still might be some useful ideas in here regarding in-game skill calculation?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
DT: The way the voting works doesn't usually allow the same map to be played over and over again.  Every map change, each map gets an automatic vote, which counts for 1 point.  Each player vote counts for 5 points.  These points accumulate until the map is selected for rotation.  Map rotation also takes into account the number of players on the server, so it won't load some tiny box map when there are lots of active players, and it won't load some massive map when only a couple people are on.  The player limits are determined by the mapinfo files.

Originally, maps lacking mapinfo files meant the map defaulted to 0-8 players.  I later removed that limitation for the sake of the beta testing server and because several new maps being made at the time (ie: carpathian) were larger-scale maps and it wouldn't make sense to have them set in rotation for lower player counts than other, smaller maps.  It looks as if neither barrels nor shazam33 have mapinfo files included in build 16.  They were either overlooked or made at a later date.  As a result, there is no player limit for these maps and they tend to pop up in rotation on highly populated servers.  Situations like this are the reason I placed a vote for a centralized mapinfo repository that wouldn't depend on new server releases to be updated for new maps.  It could also allow for global tweaking for maps that tend to become too overloaded or desolate.

On the subject of voting, there's a handy little feature that you might not be aware of -- the ability to vote maps into rotation.  The maps you vote in will not receive automatic votes and will have to be voted to the top based on popularity, but if you're on a crowded server with lots of small maps in rotation, and you vote for a big map, it might get played simply due to the player limits.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2007, 07:08:55 PM »
ingame mic.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »
1. Remove the ability to follow the other team period in match play, as much of an old custom it has become in DP, it should seriously be considered for removal.

2. Global ID and screenshot system, before each map a screenshot is taken with models/environments including the user ID and uploaded  for dispute resolution or clarification.

***3. A wide screen option in the video resolution list, as wide screen monitors are becoming more and more prevalent this will be a hand feature. I realize this one might be real tough though.

4. New game : Spider paint - add the lithium/osp +hook feature for server-side toggle. This would be way off paintball, but ridiculously fun as well. One of my favorite things about quake2, haha

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 09:13:19 PM by ch40s »

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2007, 07:02:42 AM »
1. Remove the ability to follow the other team period in match play, as much of an old custom it has become in DP, it should seriously be considered for removal.
OMG...plz dont

l1g

• Stingray
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
Vote:

Faster in game downloads. New gun models. New player models. If possible a way to detect player modification, everyone argues about that anyway. For build 18, have a map-pack built in, so it coems with all the maps. High resolution textures.

I think the killcam is a great idea, I vote for that as well. <-- Nice work Nightryder.

Here is a thoguht, I don't nkow if it has been brought up yet.
When connecting to a server, it lists the Server, the map, amount of people and the ping.  If possible it would be nice to have a screen shot of the map, so people can view the map before entering the game. <--Do you understand?  You could make it just a link, or have a thumbnail, just something that gives people an idea of what the map looks like.