Author Topic: New Map: Anubis  (Read 27842 times)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Anubis
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 09:41:43 PM »
map looks very well done.
i have played the UT2003 version and its okay, but yours runs smooth and is nice.
great job for your first map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:00:33 PM »
Here is a new beta:
ftp://85.214.56.218/pub/Maps/beta/anubis_b8.bsp

I think for the final version left just 2 things:

1. I know now, where the r_speeds (i love the colours in b17) are rough, if reflectivewater is on, but what i have to do for lower wpoly?

2. After i deleted the "warp"-setting and the "slime"-setting of the flames of the torches, the flowing is very fast. How could i change it back, that the flowing is slower again?
New beta looks pretty good.

To reduce wpoly, you need to have fewer polygons visible.  The problem with these water areas is that you have a clear view all the way to the other side of the map, so it has to draw everything, then you have reflective water, which draws everything again, effectively doubling your polygon count.  Another useful tool for seeing where the polygons go is gl_showtris.  You have to be using this off line with deathmatch disable in order to see this:

set deathmatch 0
set gl_showtris 1
map beta/anubis_b8

The flowing I think is determined by the texture scale.  Larger scale, faster flowing.  I could be wrong though.  Are you sure you don't have fast flowing enabled?  It looks like the torches flow faster than the water fountains.  I thought the faster flowing looked better -- it was less obvious that it was just a flowing texture.  It would be nice to have a real flame texture on there, though, and with r_scripts it could be animated to look like the ones in Quake3.  We need something like this: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/269076/SID/269101/blFP/1 -- wonder if there's a GPL compatible one anywhere.

The white flag doesn't work with this settings
You need to run the map in whiteflag mode (ctfmode 1).  Also, a mapinfo file will allow the map to cycle between modes.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 11:29:41 AM »
It would be nice to have a real flame texture on there, though, and with r_scripts it could be animated to look like the ones in Quake3.  We need something like this: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/269076/SID/269101/blFP/1 -- wonder if there's a GPL compatible one anywhere.

Maybe i don't understand you right, but can i realy do it with the latest bsp?

I have fixed a few things and added new gamemodes and create a mapinfo file. Now this gamemodes work: ctf (normal), 1flag, dm, elim, pong, koth

Beta 9: ftp://85.214.56.218/pub/Maps/beta/anubis_b9.bsp

Is this map now ready for final or have i to change something else?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »
The flambeaus are to fast and i'm god. I don't die, although I burn :P

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 12:56:16 PM »
The flambeaus are to fast and i'm god. I don't die, although I burn :P

I can't set it slower after delete "warp".

Maybe you have godmode, haha. I deleted also the "paint"/"slime".

I could do these settings again, but jitspoe told that this wouldn't be useful for framerates, i think.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »
idk, but with that paint/slime its more realistic.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »
Here's something for you to play with.  Extract the zip file to your paintball2 directory, and your flames should appear like the attached screenshot.  It could look really nice if we had a better texture.  It should be fairly obvious what you can do to adjust the script.  I'd remove the scale parameter and scale it up in the editor, personally -- that way the script has to do fewer things.  You might play with the scroll speed as well.

To make sure people download the file if it's available on the server, you need to add "requiredfiles" to your worldspawn.  For the final version, it will be "requiredfiles" "scripts/maps/anubis.txt"

Also, you can't use r_metal1 anywhere else, or it will look like the flames.

Tip: To select all the flame textures, you can do Edit|Select|Texture in BSP and put in pball/r_metal1 and it will select all of them.  Then you can scale the texture in the surface parameters and hit apply brush to apply it to all of them at once.

I didn't really get the chance to do a full run around the map -- only thing I noticed, though, was the ramp to the flag in the base -- I'd use just a plain wood texture for that, not one with planks.  It doesn't make sense to have a single board made of planks.

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
its like thirst arena but upped a bit

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
Thx for the script. Someone (kongo :)) searched some flametextures for me.

http://www.noctua-graphics.de/deutsch/Tex/feuer.htm

Are this textures ok? Could i use one of them?
If yes, how could i use them (import in bsp?) and wich one looks best?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 11:08:20 AM »
I'm not sure what the license on those are, so I don't know if you can use them or not.  Lava1 probably looks the best, but I think I could make something that looks better with filterforge.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »
you have to make a .wal file of every texture (use a program named wally - just open a .jpg then export it as .wal). And just transport them to your bsp textures folder.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »
I'm not sure what the license on those are, so I don't know if you can use them or not.  Lava1 probably looks the best, but I think I could make something that looks better with filterforge.
Yeah, would be nice if you can do one for me, i have no good programs for pictures.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »
Ok, here's what I whipped up:

Unzip flame1a_paintball2.zip to your paintball2 directory (c:\Games\Paintball2 by default).
Unzip flame1a_bsp.zip to your bsp directory (c:\bsp by default).

Open _flametest.map and compile it.  It should look like the attached screenshot.  I'll probably just include these with build 18 for simplicity's sake.

Oh, and note that you need highres textures enabled.  I didn't create a lowres version yet.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »
Looks fantastic ;)

Is there a possibility to copy it into my mapfile? I saw that every face have other settings.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
That's why I made the sample map.  You should be able to copy/paste from it.  Make sure to lock the textures, though (Alt-L).

A quick explanation of the flags set on the faces:
- trans33 or trans66 are set so it has the proper draw order.
- Mist is set so you can walk through it (It also causes the faces to be drawn on both sides, which is needed here.
- Nodraw is set so certain faces aren't drawn.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 07:23:01 PM »
:o I think I need to start playing with scripts! That looks awesome Jits!

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2007, 08:37:34 AM »
maybe you should put it in buld 17 when the full version comes out!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »
Uhh, maybe you should download the texture and rscript files because build 17 might be a while!

EDIT: The next build, rather.

Wolf Man

• Stingray
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
i did download it, i just suggested that because not all players use the forums * let alone would they read one thread out of hundreds

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2007, 12:00:54 PM »
If the servers have the texture, then the clients can download it.