Author Topic: New Map -Razzle Dazzle  (Read 4293 times)

ch40s

• VM-68
New Map -Razzle Dazzle
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »
*Edit

This is the link to the final razzle.zip

http://upload.arena-zone.com/943618

Im copying to info from planetsuper. Ive lowered the lighting and changed/fixed the textures. I used quark for this map, and plan on switching to BSP or Worldcraft after running into multiple compiling/texture/relative easiness issues.

Here are a few shots of the finale compile

RAZZLE DAZZLE - Here's my first map ever. It's small, I wanted to make a fun and fast 2v2 or 3v3 map. Two paths high and low. Low seemed a bit too fast so I added a speed breaker, unless u can do the jump over it. Main is simple and relatively open leaving you with no where to hide in some places.  This is out of beta I willl be working on a new map, thanks for your feedback ahead of time.

File is here http://upload.arena-zone.com/982306
razzle.bsp 1.8 mb

Teams are yellow and blue

Flag

Inside base, from low entrance

Outside main exit

Main to mid

Mid high to mid low visible from mid high sshot

Main to main entrance

Low exit from base (I just noticed that light coming from the ceiling rofl)

Mid low to mid high visible from mid low sshot

Mid low

Low to base

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:06:19 PM by ch40s »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New Map -Razzle Dazzle
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:46:12 PM »
It's not bad for a first map.  I like how you have several paths available - something most maps lack.  You need to release your maps as a beta first, though for testing and review.  There are a lot of things that still need tweaking.  I've put together a little demo so you can review them (attached zip -- unzip to your pball/demos directory and move the map to pball/maps/beta).

I'm also putting it up on the beta server.  I'll PM you the details.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »
Quark is having a real tough time aligning some of the textures, i got most of the boxes alligned in-game, for some reason ALL of them are alligned in quark 3d view making it incredibly confusing. I added roof supports, although the roof still has dirt visible there are 3 beams accross the middle. Also, I made the spindles thinner, and replaced the trees with a few boxes. The invisible ledges to low will remain there, for various reasons including my desire to camp rofl.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
I wasn't sure if the invisible ledge was intentional or a glitch.  It's not the same on both sides, though.  One of the bases doesn't have it on the right side.

Sounds like quark has some issues with texture alignment.  Clipz was having problems with it, too.  There is potential that it's because of the compiler as well.  Which compiler are you using?

A couple things I forgot to point out in the demo:
- There is grass texture inside of the fort, where those little window areas jet out.
- The ladders in the underground area all have the same texture alignment making a rather noticeable repeating pattern (Quark must texture lock by default).  It might be nice to throw some variation in there, though it's not really a big deal.  Also, in that same area, I'd use dirt on the sides of the hole instead of grass.  Grass doesn't grow on vertical surfaces very well. :)

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:43:14 PM »
Ok fixed those grass walls and added a brick floor in those window areas. I will compile, upload, and change the link in the beginning of the topic.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »
good job...i like it :)
i just dont like ur trees...they seem a bit unnatural :(

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »
Yeah I removed the trees as mention previously

ch40s

• VM-68
New Map - Razzle Dazzle - Final
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »
Ok Links here to download the final compile. I will not be working on this map anymore! http://upload.arena-zone.com/333201

Heres a couple SSs

Fixed window rooms and box textures

Modified ladder texture and added wood support beams in middle low. I didn't add them on entrance in order to ensure free movement along the ceiling when jumping into low from base.

Discarded poopie trees and replaced with boxes, as well as thinned the spindles

This map is done, please upload to servers!

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map - Razzle Dazzle - Final
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »
congratulations

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »
It's uploaded to ch1ll servers :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »
Oy!  Don't be in such a rush!  There are still more things that need fixing.  Read this: http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=New+Map+Release+Procedure

razzle_base.jpg - still some crate alignment issues on the top.  Also, the wood grain needs to be consistent for the side and top of the platform.  Wood with grain in two different directions really sticks out as unnatural.  Also, the support posts are scaled really funky-like (arrows), and they use a plank texture.  It wouldn't make sense to make a support post out of planks...

razzle_barrel.jpg - the texture needs to be aligned or the barrel made smaller.  I think it would look better with smaller barrels, personally.  The barrels in general are slightly off on the texture alignment.  The top and bottom rims don't always show.  When high-res textures are done for these, it could end up looking really bad.  See http://dplogin.com/forums/attachments/barrelalignment.jpg for how barrel alignment should look.

razzle_crates1.jpg, razzle_crates2.jpg - more crate alignment issues.

razzle_supportalign.jpg - wood texture needs to be rotated to so that the grain goes along the length of the boards.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »
One more, since not all attachments fit:

Edit: I just merged the topics since it's not quite final yet.  Also a little nitpick in this last screenshot -- the brick on the "ceiling" of the doorway (where the wood supports are touching) should probably be rotated 90 degrees so they match the bricks on the wall above it.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 09:26:15 PM »
Sweet ok, ill up the next beta soon, almost done.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 04:22:37 AM »
-Angled wood textures on support beams for both entrances
-All barrels have top and bottom rims
-All barrels have aligned top/bottom
-All crates have correctly aligned/scaled textures
-Area in low where u could get stuck as been fixed (put a box so u can jump out)
-Wood grain is consistent in all areas
-"Ceiling" of brick doorways rotated matching the bricks

Heres the link to the zip, includes razzle.bsp + razzle.txt
http://upload.arena-zone.com/943618

THIS IS FINAL - Please feel free to critique, but understand I deleted quark because It makes me want to slit my wrists. (I know what your thinking, do us all a favor right?)

BoJanglez

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 06:17:19 AM »
Good job. I thought it was a good map. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »
Haha, well, it looks like you got most of the stuff fixed.  You need to grab BSP. :)

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
Considering I HAD to have it in order to use the lightscale you posted before due to disgusting lighting in quark compiles. So, Ive been reading all the tutorials in forums on BSP as well as Worldcraft. Thanks again Jit, next map will be exponentially greater =]

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
Don't use WC.  It can mess up your brushes/textures, too.  It also has no 3D clipping plane, which is critical for advanced mapping techniques.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »
Don't use WC.  It can mess up your brushes/textures, too.  It also has no 3D clipping plane, which is critical for advanced mapping techniques.

My textures have never been messed up.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »
If it does have problems with brushes/textures I might just have to use BSP. That was the worst part of quark, I'm sure being inexperienced did not help but I spent 80% of my time correcting alignment issues, and compiling over and over again. The textures in "face-view" (which I liked alot) would show textures perfectly aligned and scaled but when I compiled they were way off. To the point where I had to guess which way I had to un-align it in quark to correct itself, and when I finished compiled, it opened a very old version DP and the textures were hardly recognizable. This could have been easily avoided if I had the ability to open the .map from quark in BSP, but couldn't. For the most part making this map a tiresome nightmare. -noob