Author Topic: To thwart hackers in matches  (Read 2677 times)

ch40s

• VM-68
To thwart hackers in matches
« on: February 27, 2007, 03:44:06 AM »
OK I'm playing a match and inadvertently think I get called a hacker after acing with a grab someone says something to the tune of "yeah right, sure." First thing I do, start fraps and begin recording. The demo ended up being 2.5 gigs, and I really didn't even get called a hacker. Regardless, a thought crossed my mind which most likely isn't original but I haven't heard it from anyone personally, except in CSS. Before every match, have each player take a screen shot of both teams and scoreboard. I'm not familiar with hacks (because I've never used them) but, I would assume that you cannot turn them on and off in-game (can anyone back me up?) If anyone leaves and comes back, or new players come in, the same has to be done (maybe in observer?). Maybe you could set up a thread just for the purpose of uploading these screen shots and validating the players abilities, as well as the credibility of the clan matching. This way, if a team refuses to do so, they would obviously have something to hide and most likely would not get asked to match anymore. Just a thought....

***Edit

Someone just informed me that its easy to turn hacks on and off in DP. Scratch that I guess? At least it would deter spiking, and it seems that Jitspoe has a good handle on wallhacks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:36:11 AM by ch40s »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: To thwart hackers in matches
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
First thing I do, start fraps and begin recording. The demo ended up being 2.5 gigs

Easier way: Record a demo. It doesn't take up nearly that much space.
Code: (In the console) [Select]
record thedemoname

After that you can record with fraps only the parts you want.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
I have never hacked Quake2, yet I still understand the concept of the quake2 demo, while genius in that its very space efficient and low memory intensive, demo-ing proves absolutely nothing. You might as well not even fraps a demo. If I were a cheater, Id simply record a demo in hacked DP (regardless whether its hacked, the demo is just the core world information), open the demo in a freshly installed version of DP or any quake2 engine-based game that you hacked and fraps from there.  I know I have only a few posts, but Ive been playing quake games for over 6 years and know the demo command. Also, match servers automatically record demos for you! Thats why the real-time, in-game screenshot with no disconnecting validates a players models/textures because of the fact that every map the textures and models are loaded only once. Hence, the fact that I stated in match "Did anyone see me leave? Im recording fraps right now" Honestly, I could have easily just took a screenshot of that, and not even wasted the 440 frames I lost every second lol. Can anyone explain the workings of the demo code in quake2? Or did I explain it correctly?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
Wouldn't Fraps bog down your system?  Some people like consistent framerates...

Thats why the real-time, in-game screenshot with no disconnecting validates a players models/textures because of the fact that every map the textures and models are loaded only once. Hence, the fact that I stated in match "Did anyone see me leave? Im recording fraps right now" Honestly, I could have easily just took a screenshot of that, and not even wasted the 440 frames I lost every second lol.

Sorry but it's still possible to enable/disable hacked models rather easily without disconnecting, using any sort of modified binary or other fancy hooks, memory scanners, etc.  This would either make your Fraps suggestion irrelevant.

Can anyone explain the workings of the demo code in quake2? Or did I explain it correctly?

Demos record all the data that is sent to the client from the server for the period which it is recording.  It records it in a format very similar to how the netcode delivers this information to the client.  The Q2 demo format is relatively open (with regards to encryption/compression) and can be modified by the keygrip2 program pretty extensively.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Fraps did bog me down, the max frame rate you can record is 60 fps, which like I said wasted 440 precious frames (I know they're not all noticeable but still =] ) And gave me some good packet loss. OK so no go on the screen shots, still think it wouldn't be a bad idea just to ask for a screen shot in-game especially if your going to have the audacity to call someone a hacker while they're taking their free time to match you heh. Not talking about anyone in particular but I'm sure we've all seen or experienced it.   

l1g

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:21:03 PM »
Ch4os I think this is a good idea.  That way everyone knows it is a clean game.  Except for the hack thing, but I trust Jitspoe has that under control.  The only other thing is people could just use old Screen Shots, which would ruin this idea.  But I agree with Ch4os something like this should be put in place, Good idea.

ch40s

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:49 PM »
take a screenshot of both teams (at least one model of each) while holding the "show scores" button.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »
my wallhacks are built into my video card, good luck with catching me! BWHAHAHAHAA!!!111111111111

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
atleast tinman is honest... he has yet to be caught

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
=D

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 12:04:10 PM »
Isn't build 17 suppose to take a random screen shot or something along those lines while you are in game play?  Or wasn't that a feature being discussed for it or something like that?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »
It was discussed, the problem was lag with some people since there are dial-up users...I don't know how that discussion ended.