Author Topic: Catapults  (Read 1230 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Catapults
« on: February 27, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Add a giant ancient trebuchet in there somewhere too lol

This is completely off-topic, so I'm starting another thread for my reply.  For some reason, this made me think of my science class back in middle school.  One of the projects was to build a catapult that would launch a ping pong ball (or something like that).

I remember some people made these super elaborite contraptions with all kinds of springs, pullies, hinges, and whatnot.  Of course the never ended up working right.  Me?  I had a football and a small board with a cup stuck on one end.  I'd just put a ball in the cup, stomp on the other end, and send it flying.

The first test was accuracy -- we had to try to land the ball in a bucket.  I ended up stomping too hard and sent the ball way off.  The funny thing, though, is that the stick flipped end over end and landed in the bucket.

Then we had to go for distance.   I figured I had it made with my quick little contraption.  Stomped it good -- the ball ended up bouncing back off the ceiling or something.  The catapult, however, went flying.  It nearly smacked my teacher in the face.

Ahh, good times.  I miss that school.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Catapults
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:05:42 PM »
Hmm. How about inertia and stuff in paintball? You know, so we can build catapults that work some. And so that jumping on something that's moving doesn't throw you off.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
Put it in the feature vote list. :P

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »
But, would you be able to implement it? The 'physics' themselves haven't been changed much, as far as I can tell.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:22:49 AM by P!nk »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 07:54:32 PM »
All I got to do in high school was watch boring videos of cells, or some other weird thing I've never heard of and never will hear of again. But, then again, I never got to physics class. Decided not to take it my senior year. They ride down the halls on a mini hovercraft thing and go to six flags.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
Well since I have been in high school we haven't had the chance to do anything like that, but when I was in middle school we had to make and egg roll down a 5ft. piece of wood in some sort of contraption that would not let it get a scratch on it when it hit the cinder block.  It ended up being a lot harder then some could imagine.  I put it in a cup with toilet paper to provide cushioning. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:56:24 AM »
There was a competition called Science Olympiad, I believe, that had something similar to that.  It was called the "egg drop".  You had to create a device to place the egg in to prevent it from breaking and it would get dropped like 15 feet straight down.  I think you had to try to hit a target, too, so things like parachutes would drift too much.

Killswitch

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:35:34 AM »
my best was grade 12 physics class were each group of two had to design and make a egg drop contraption(2 eggs 1 spare)

and we had to drop it from  5 heights: 1) 3 feet 2) 6 feet 3) 7 feet(from the ceiling) 4) 10 + feet )top of the stairs)
5) ceiling (teacher took all the contraptions to the roof and tossed them off.
My design was a box filled with cotton balls, surrounded by air filled balloons

My contraption only lost 1 egg during the 7 foot drop because the eggs touched eachother..