Author Topic: File Diff/Patch Program?  (Read 1705 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
File Diff/Patch Program?
« on: February 28, 2007, 01:14:06 AM »
A while back, somebody (Bain, maybe?) made a patch for a new version of paintball2.  I figure it's probably time to start again with a new patch for build 16 and on.  I think most everybody has build 16 by now.  What's a good tool for comparing two directories and just selecting files that are new or different?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: File Diff/Patch Program?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:24:29 AM »
Yeah, 'twas me.  There was a good reason for that too -- I was on dial-up and was dying to play it, but didn't want to wait an hour to download 20MB of everything when only a few hundred KBs had changed.  Fortunately I had access to a shell on the eR33t.com box, so I used some built-in switches on command-line tar or zip to make an archive with the differential then.

We should maybe explore additional uses of CVS (or maybe even use SVN ;)) and start tracking assets (i.e. game files) on their too.  Making release and patch archives would be trivial with a little project automation doing some of its magic behind the scenes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:54:50 PM »
Yeah, I've been meaning to set something like that up -- particularly for the high-res textures since there's still a lot of development going on with those.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »
I vote for svn.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 08:37:11 PM »
i have never really been sure of the difference between svn/cvs, what sets the two apart?

TinMan

• Autococker

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 06:22:37 PM »
I see tar has a --diff, but it doesn't really go into depth on what it does.  Is that what you used?  Did you do some stuff manually or is there a magical switch to just build an archive out of the different files?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »
I believe TortoiseSVN has Diff and Patch features, but since the source is in CVS idk, Perhaps TortoiseCVS?