Author Topic: Illegible server message  (Read 5171 times)

scoolap

Illegible server message
« on: August 30, 2004, 11:53:08 AM »
When I'm playing I often get disconnected with an error: "cl_parseservermessage ... illegible server message"  I updated to v1.51 with no help and no one else seems to have this problem.  How do I fix this?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Illegible server message
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 01:45:12 PM »
Updated?  1.51 is several years old now...

What server were you playing on?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:13:20 PM »
Hm, there were some illegible server messages caused with the build 11 release -- I'm pretty sure that's all fixed up now, though.  Are you still having problems?

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 04:24:14 PM »
I Do Cause Quake2... And I Run The Newest Version For Quake2 Digital Paint

but A New Vision Would Be Nice That Allows New Skins And Better Textures And FunNames

Please And Thank You

-Termin8oR

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:39:57 PM »
Do you have any idea what causes them?

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 10:20:33 AM »
Illegible Server Message Is Coused by Many Users Player On The Servers With The Newest Alpha Version, And Users On The Quake2 Version Are Botherd by This Because When We Press "F1" for scoreboard, it kicks us from server and causes us to reconnect because of many users using numerous colors in thier funnames..... There needs to be a new patch or something that allows Quake2 Users to not be affected by this.

Please And Thank You
-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 07:05:27 PM »
ok jits this is it my ONLY LEGIT complaint .........i was told by several admins its the color and or size of fonts ....not q2 compatable....example above post
if i want to check myscore i can do so by pressing f2 or x the dault binds for q2  ...if there is some on loged in to server with a funny name that is huge (font size) or the color of the font is causing this server side error ........thanks termi for voiceing this concern  .......jits i have had this problem for the last year at least and quite frankly i am suprised you have not goten more complaints ..at first i thought it was a server admin using a new gib (4th ,mut, snipen..having fun with me) ..but then i noticed it only occured when playing with funny names that are longer then the q2 default name allowence  ...i dont have the stand alone so i dont know what said fonts are all about ..with that in mind i was told by several admins that it is the colors of the fonts that are the root causes of said errors

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 09:05:21 PM »
one addition to termi's last post ...it takes just one player on server to cause error

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 12:58:31 PM »
So your only legit complaint about the standalone is that you're not using it? :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:58:44 PM by jitspoe »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 05:06:06 PM »
Yes True, But Could You Please Make A New Quake2 Pball Mod Ver. Upgrade Patch That Allows New Funnames And The Better Textures And The New Skins.... They Look Better And Would Help Others Play And Realize Paintball is FUN :D

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 08:44:20 PM »
lol ouch  
good ole jits ....man have a heart....yes that is my complaint ;)
alpha is backwards compatable as far as everything you could imagine (very good job sir) but is not backwards compatable when it comes to not the fonts persay but specifically the players font stucture in the score box !!!!! ....(with the last few releases)

help several old players like my self ...be able to check the scoreboard once in a while with out getting the boot ...or get rid of the offending fonts :)

they serve no purpose :) ...for the most part the older players and most of the new ones will turn off said fonts when asked ,why because the dont wont anythign to get in the way of a clean match .....if that does not work all and i mean all older players like my self will badger (which is a shame) the offending newb ..worse yet it gets to the point where the person who has said fonts on and doesnt care and will result spam on the message board from every telling himor her to please (and not so nicely to turn said fonts off)...but worst of all ...because of the various conditions described above the offending player will get either a temp ban ....or will get a bad reputation as an "SOMEONE USING A KNOWN BUG TO HIS OR HER ADVANTAGE" ....hmmm sounds like something i read and was written by a very nice person not so long ago  ...

sorry for the rant but i got a good cause ...and again thank you for your hard work  

Loial  

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 10:02:43 PM »
So your argument is that I should disable features of the new version because you're using the old version?  Why don't you just update?

As for the illegible server messages, does anybody have an example name config that causes it?

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 05:46:21 PM »
jitspoe,

any name config that has the new alpha funnames with any color in the funnames causes the quake2 users to be kicked from server with Illegible Server Message..
Any Color = Kick ( Illegible Server Message )
Only The New Alpha FunNames Cause Illegible Server Message

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 07:06:11 PM »
1st thank you for not shutting down this topic and at least listening

i will get a a couple of screen shots ..if not sharon , 4th, termi or one of the admins can help me post an example ..i can take a screen shot but posting it ..i dunno will the .tgf  post? any workaround if not ?

please note
.having q2 dp forward compatable allows gamespy user to play your game ....
in allowing gamespy players access to your mod this increases your product awareness and accessability. ..sorry for the sales pitch  but I love this game and directing  people to gamespy arcade is easier for me ...for i do that often ....at work or online with friends

Thanks L

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 12:05:54 PM »
I Can Take Screen Shots But I Currently Do Not Have Login

I Hopefully will get my Login back and i will be able to controll what needs to be monitered....

Loial i need to learn how to use these forums better other then typing and topics... like inserting screenshots right into the forum like IronFist does..... Please give me some time and i will have the screen shots posted of a hacker / any thing that needs to be posted.....

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 05:11:15 PM »
thanks buddy

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 07:19:08 PM »
No Problem Buddy! :D

-Termin8oR

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2004, 08:56:09 PM »
You can still use gamespy and ASE with the standalone -- just gotta change the settings to point to paintball2.exe instead of quake2.exe.  But with the in-game browser on the standalone version, there's not rarely a need to use either.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 07:45:35 PM »
can i zip the standalone to my gig stick and take on the fly and play with out installing ?   this is critical
thanks for your time

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2004, 12:00:46 PM »
loial you have the dumbest question alive! and you dont make sense!!!

-Termin8oR