Author Topic: New Map - Tunnels  (Read 13144 times)

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: New Map - Tunnels
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »
ETA=Estimated Time of Arrival

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
err i dounno :P

buttt, i do know that i have another beta!!!

yay! :):)

Linky!

http://www.savefile.com/files/673079

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »
Haha, so the ETA is right now :P

Thanks

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
You start with a Carbine, and at the  top of the grass/wood ramp, there is a Spyder.  In my experience a Carbine has always been better than a Spyder... Perhaps put a better gun? I believe Automag and Autococker are the only better ones...

But I like it, although the jumps are pretty tough and the lighting could be better in the holes that you fall down.

Nice work Silly

Cheers,
y00tz

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 04:16:48 PM »
Well, some of the show off's like to go PGP, well they can go Spyder now!! hehe naw, i just made that up. I just put it there too have an option.

The lighting in the holes, i think arent that bad but if anyone else wants it too be better than ill change it.

:p yeah some of the jumps are tough, its proably going to be real good for match play because of its speed and all the shortcuts you can take

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 04:21:20 PM »
The lighting in the holes, i think arent that bad

It's not bad, but maybe you could make the entire tunnel dark, or just the bottom? Right now it's the middle that is dark, which is odd.

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:46 PM »
Well, i dont know how that happend :P ill fix it in the next beta

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »
You really need to find some way to balance the path lengths out a bit.  Somebody could probably be in your base and back before you got to theirs taking the low tunnel (man, that thing is massive, haha).  I've uploaded the map to the beta server if you want to test it online.

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 05:22:02 AM »
hehe yeah! the low tunnel is HUGE! but, it is also a decision. If you want to go the route, were most people arent, and you have the flag AND you have enough skill to make that jump, then the bottom route would be faster.

The top route would be faster in the beginning  , but it would be like shazam33, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of getting shot on the bridge IF you go to the top way. its pretty much the same idea with this map too

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 04:42:35 PM »
Well, i fixed the lighting, the tunnel on the other side is sapose to be dark, if your blue/red you will not be able to see the enemy as well. Reason why the other is lighted, is because if you make the other jump, it is more of a reward, make the jump, dont get killed as easily (if someone on the other team jumps in it when ur halfway up). In this case, if  u dont make the jump, you simply look down and shoot if there is a guy below you.

New beta linky
http://www.savefile.com/files/676038

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »
I was going to post yesterday after I finally downloaded and played b4.

What I noticed:
-The shadows/lighting in the tunnels is different for each.
-I punched my monitor because I always miss the jump to the top of the tunnel, resulting in an ER visit.
-It's not really worthwhile to run up the long ramp, except as a last resort in a defensive situation.

Lookin' good though

Cheers,
y00tz

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2007, 01:14:03 PM »
I did some timings:

14s - main path through tunnels
21s - high path, dropping down to the flag
25s - low tunnel, short ladder
28s - low tunnel, long pole ladder

As you can see, it takes twice as long to take the low path.  If you ended up on this path, somebody could do an entire flag run through the main path in the same time it took just to get to theirs.  You need to balance that out a bit more or else everybody will always take 1 path.  My suggestion would be this:

Split the map up into 2 paths.  One that goes to the low tunnel (basically what you have currently), and another that wraps around (maybe you could make use of the ramp to the spyder) and goes to the high tunnel path.  I've attached a really crappy sketch to point out what I mean.  Hope you can follow it (man, I hate ball mice).

Also, you need to work on making the walls look more natural.  Throwing in a couple extra brushes and using clipping planes at various angles can do wonders for making the level a little more convincing.  Take a look at bombsaway, for example.

Also, I'd suggest using sun lighting instead of light fixtures.  It's a day time sky, and in some areas, I can see the sun, but it's pitch black (second shot).

As usual, the map is up on the beta server for play testing.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »
please may i have that crosshair

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
It comes with the build 17 update.

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2007, 03:18:39 PM »
ehh, jits i cant follow that picture :P but i think i understand what u are saying.

the ramp infront of the base flag should have an opening that wraps around the map. But, i think that it would take longer to go through there. Unless i made another fast tunnel. Do you think i should make the wrap around tunnel to the other base, or do you think i should make the opening where the big popsicle tree's usto be

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
The time taken to walk up the ramp would balance out the time taken to climb the ladders from the lower tunnel.  If you pulled it off correctly, the times would be about equal.  You don't have to use the ramp.  That was just a suggestion.  You could just make a path that goes around.  Whatever you do, you basically have to make it take twice as long as it does now.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »
Why not make the sweet red and blue tunnels longer by having them curve multiple times..

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2007, 02:21:01 PM »
if i were to do that, i would have to reconstruct the whole upper level. Perhaps in a later version of Tunnels. i think i will do what Jits was suggesting

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
Yeah I'll admit that it was 50% real suggestion and 50% showing off to Jitspoe how much more time I have :P

Silly

• 68 Carbine
Im back.. Again... With a new map!
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »
haha, yea i got a new map. Sorry for saying i was back, then i left again:P.

Anyway, heres one of my favorite maps...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:36:25 PM by Silly »