Author Topic: Textures and Texture Requests  (Read 2679 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Textures and Texture Requests
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
I don't know if these will be any use to mappers but I thought I'd take a few pictures to use as sources for textures. I'm no good at texture editing, so these are the plain photos. I'm sorry for the glare in some of them. If anyone wants any more, then I'll be happy to re-photo them at different angles or lighting. There's tons of variety around my house so if you want some textures I'll see what i can find. Also, the website I've set up needs more people so if you want to help out then just register (to cut spam and bots, you have to be admin approved). You can find the site at:
http://www.viciouz.co.uk/cpg148/
(I'll get a free domain soon)

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
Re: Textures and Texture Requests
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »
they look nice, i don't think textures is a problem, but more textures couldn't hurt 8^)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »
ViciouZ, what kind of camera are you using? those pics look good, but there is some perspective in them. You would correct this by standing further away and zooming in on what you want to use as a texture. I'm not sure if a digital zoom will correct this, but I think it should.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:21:51 PM »
Some textures (http://www.viciouz.co.uk/cpg148/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=0) would look really horrible textured, in this case because of the reflection of the flash. Try to keep things like that to a minimum.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:08:55 PM »
I can't get that page to load, but I'll share some things I've learned when photo sourcing textures:
1) Take the time to line up your shots at a perfect angle.  It takes seconds to adjust the camera alignment, but sometimes hours to tweak a poorly aligned shots in photoshop.
2) Zoom in (if you have optical zoom) to minimize distortion.  Use something like a brick wall to find the "sweet spot" on your camera where things aren't distorted.  The bricks should line up perfectly along the edge of the view finder or LCD screen.  If they are bent or warped at all, it's almost impossible to fix in the editing stage.
3) Get the right lighting, or don't bother.  In most cases, some good sun light is required, otherwise the textures will come out looking bland.  If there are shadows from trees or other objects, you might as well not bother taking the photograph as those types of things can't be edited out easily.  Indoor lighting is also bad, unless you want a gradient of lighting on your texture surfaces.  Using the flash indoors can compensate for this so long as the object is fairly close and is not glossy.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
ViciouZ, what kind of camera are you using? those pics look good, but there is some perspective in them. You would correct this by standing further away and zooming in on what you want to use as a texture. I'm not sure if a digital zoom will correct this, but I think it should.

I'm using a standard digital camera with effective pixelcount of 3.4 megapixels. I've got an SLR upstairs somewhere though. I'll take some more with that. Any requests, mappers?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:22:06 AM by P!nk »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 03:16:52 PM »
Couldn't find any wallpaper sadly.
I need to get a new camera, under £100 ($190/150E), any reccomendations?
I got some simple whitewashed wall
http://www.viciouz.co.uk/cpg148/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-11
and some Artex style textured ceiling
http://www.viciouz.co.uk/cpg148/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-12

We don't have any wallpaper here. Any more requests?

Edit: Fixed link 2.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:42:11 PM by ViciouZ »

magalhaes

• Autococker

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 05:19:07 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:22:03 AM by P!nk »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »
I realize this is a few months old.

but I'd like to request (and for anyone with a digital camera)

-Dirt
-Leaves on the ground
-Shingles
-metal siding (like a shed)
-head on views of all sides on an air conditioning unit
-front and side views of computer towers
-black metal fence textures
-wood floors (lots of them)
-wood textures
-tile floors
-sidewalks

Thanks,
y00tz

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »
I have a bunch of those, but it'd take me a while to dig through all my digital photos to find them.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »
I think I might have some pretty decent texture-material around...

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 08:50:14 PM »
I have a bunch of those, but it'd take me a while to dig through all my digital photos to find them.
I think I might have some pretty decent texture-material around...

:D :D :D Pretty please guys?

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 07:53:38 AM »
I'll try to find you them if I don't by the end of the coming week I probably forgot :P