Author Topic: Build 012 Feedback  (Read 1745 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Build 012 Feedback
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:16:28 AM »
Hopefully all the major bugs in build 11 are fixed here.  There's a new bug I've noticed that's been in there since build 10 or so due to joysticks.  I've got the code set up to send a packet immidiately upon movement input.  Joysticks have almost a continuous stream of input coming in, causing it to flood out packets.  I'll need to fix that.

Anyway, as usual, post any bugs you find here.  Currently there are only a couple servers running the new version -- the YBox test and Apex Test servers.  I'd recommend playing on those since they're the most likely places that bugs will show up.

meat

• VM-68
Re: Build 012 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 04:47:45 PM »
For starters, the menu in-game = fantastic, nice work sir.  Also, i'm not sure why you got rid of the crazy moving console back, but thats ok, I don't mind.  The only thing that i noticed that was wrong was that in the ingame server browser, all servers show up properly, but with a 999 ping, im not sure if this is my machine or a bug, I have tried restarting/shutting all other apps off, and nothing worked.  I could, however, connect to servers properly, so i'm kinda stumped.  Otherwise, keep up the good work!!

p.s. double clicking is much appreciated.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 05:09:40 PM »
upon further review, it only happens when you click on update, not on refresh, so if you dont feel like fixing it, i dont blame ya =)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 01:46:51 PM »
The reason for the 999 ping is that some of the servers use DNS names rather than straight IP's.  The first time you update/refresh the server list, it has to look up those names and often takes a second or two to do so, after that, though, windows caches them and they refresh faster.  I plan to resolve the issue by making the serverlist refreshes multithreaded but haven't gotten to it yet.  Maybe for build 13.  The pings displayed are almost always higher than what the in-game pings will be.

As for the console background, a lot of people were complaining that it was too slow.  The console script is still there if you open up pball/scripts/console.txt -- I think just renaming "console2" to "console" and the first "console" to something else will do the trick.  I plan to add support for background image selection at some point so you can have fancy binary numbers or something else.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 02:41:21 PM »
Awesome, sounds like a good plan to me!