Poll

Are you planning on, Or have you been in any of the Armed Forces?

Yes
No
Im scared of RL without Respawn

Author Topic: Would you serve your country?  (Read 11857 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Would you serve your country?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 01:56:56 PM »
Well said, S8N.

I'm not too excited about serving my country to clean up the streets after the USA "re-allocated" their Afganistan-based forces... but with respect to Canada fighting for its freedoms, I'd strap on my skis and serve in a heart-beat.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:25 PM »
I was kind of with you there S8N, until you said communism was an unfree form of government. That's kind of just any American patriot's anti-communism thing. I don't really know why it still exists, that kind of should have ended when the Cold War died down.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 09:25:47 PM »
Communism is a great idea...it's just never works out like it's supposed to.  :P
You can say that about all governments though.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »
...which is why my opinion on his opinion turned sour when he said that.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 09:38:44 PM »
yeah whatever...I notice you are always the skeptic no matter what on these forums.

Read to the point and stop knit picking for christs sake darn

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 11:22:39 PM »
The point I see in this case is something along the lines of "aaaaaaaaaaaaaah pseudo-blind patriotism", due to two main points you make.

First, the insulting other governments thing. Dictatorship: meh, theocracy: depends on the religion, communism: not at all. Already covered that.

Second is the 'we are completely free' bit. Mainly this part:
We are free to make our own living. And MORE SO, to decide our own living, and what to do with that which we earn. You wish to buy crack and sexually promiscuous persons with your earnings, go right ahead. It's your freedom of choice.
Uh, you do know there are laws against prostitution and drug use, right? Those kind of limit our freedom. Blah blah blah, social contract, give up some rights in exchange for protection and such, blah blah blah. We are not entirely free. That's more of an anarchy, which has yet to work as a government, or even be attempted as far as I know.

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 12:11:01 AM »
I really appriciate everyones honestly. Im going to the Marines for 12 years active and 8 inactive So i figured i would see what everyone thought about it. Surprised that there  has not been alot of flaming

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 12:16:10 AM »
oh of course we all urge you to go die or get wounded fighting a pointless war. best of luck to you though, i just hope you don't see some of the things my uncle saw, like little kids running up to cars to kill themselves and one or 2 soldiers. You should never get hit by enemy fire from what i hear too, my uncle said the iraqis actually hold their guns like the terrorists in CS, and fire into the air "as if they were firing magical boomsticks" gotta love my uncle but he is going through post tramatic stress syndrome and it's kinda sad how he withdraws from everyone at times

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 09:47:52 AM »
I really dont know if I would join the army. I don't like the idea of killing a man for just a bunch of bs that has happened. Alot of what terists do is worng, but I dont belive killing someone will do any good. Maybe when I get older I will have different views on this, but for now, I wouldn't

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
Now that I think of it, if we kill people that kill people (terrorists), then why do we say that killing is wrong? We are just killing more people, thats why I think that war is wrong. On the other hand, the airforce looks pretty fun, lol.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »
Now that I think of it, if we kill people that kill people (terrorists), then why do we say that killing is wrong? We are just killing more people, thats why I think that war is wrong.

THIS MAN IS A GENIUS. HE IS THE GREATEST THINKER OF THE CENTURY.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 10:03:57 PM »
war is never a necessity in my opinion, if we get nuked by a muslim (or any other extremist group for that matter) what gives us the RIGHT now declare war on their country??! Did that country raise those extremists to hate us, no, they were taught by other extremists which is a small percentage of the population of the country. Did iraq send terrorists to hijack planes and destroy our world trade centers? no. they were doing it in the name of their extremist views, trying to "purify the world"

now sadam hussein did need to be taken out of power, but we didnt need to bombard baghdad to achieve that, we could have simply used a lone sniper who was never seen or heard to finish the job silently under the radar of the rest of the world. but by invading iraq, look how many young kids we are "killing" because their extremist friends/mentors are telling them to kill the americans. We are taking the lives of so many people each day by driving around their city, holding road blocks and traffic gates. because this war was started hundreds, possibly thousands young adults and children have lost their lives trying to drive us out.

Oh and lastly, look how far this country is in debt. So much that it won't be paid back in our lifetimes, our childrens lifetimes or even their childrens. the total debt is in the trillians, and most of that came from the war, of course there are other economic problems causing it too, like importing more then exporting.

that is my 2cents in this whole thing, sorry for the long read ;P

BLONDIE

• Stingray
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
The sad thing is if the bill gets passed to pull all the soldiers out of Iraq by August 2008...they are just going to send them all to Iran.

BLONDIE

• Stingray
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 07:12:59 AM »
spook watches too much 24

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 08:26:02 AM »
To me arguing politics is pointless. I think my way, you think yours. You are not going to change my correct way of thinking, and I should think I won't change your incorrect way of thinking.

Quote from: Nitroboy on Yesterday at 08:37:59 PM
Now that I think of it, if we kill people that kill people (terrorists), then why do we say that killing is wrong? We are just killing more people, thats why I think that war is wrong.

THIS MAN IS A GENIUS. HE IS THE GREATEST THINKER OF THE CENTURY.
Like most liberals, you just don't get it, or you get it, but think some democratic solution will solve it.

Ever watch Terminator, the first one?
Reese: "Listen and understand! That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop-EVER, until you are dead."
THAT'S exactly these terrorists. So what do we do? Close our borders? We can do that (addressed that in previous post). Or do we hunt the terrorists, and whoever harbors them, down and eliminate them. I say we hunt them down. Sorry, just the way I feel about it. I don't like the idea of sealing our country off from the rest of the world when my family came to this free open boarder country legally and reaped the rewards of opportunity found here. I think this countries borders should remain open at all costs so others may legally come and go and enjoy the benefits and opportunities our country offers..

war is never a necessity in my opinion, if we get nuked by a muslim (or any other extremist group for that matter) what gives us the RIGHT now declare war on their country??! Did that country raise those extremists to hate us, no, they were taught by other extremists which is a small percentage of the population of the country. Did iraq send terrorists to hijack planes and destroy our world trade centers? no. they were doing it in the name of their extremist views, trying to "purify the world"
I feel differently about war. Although I don't necessarily feel war in a necessity, I feel, as selfish human being, of which we all are in some respect, be it religious or otherwise, war is inevitable. As we are different, we will clash. Nations will clash, religions will clash, there will always be conflict. Utopia cannot not exist because we are what we are, inherently selfish, all of us.

now sadam hussein did need to be taken out of power, but we didnt need to bombard baghdad to achieve that, we could have simply used a lone sniper who was never seen or heard to finish the job silently under the radar of the rest of the world.
You could not just remove Saddam. The entire regime, government, and infrastructure had to be removed. If you don't understand why you should research it.

but by invading iraq, look how many young kids we are "killing" because their extremist friends/mentors are telling them to kill the americans. We are taking the lives of so many people each day by driving around their city, holding road blocks and traffic gates. because this war was started hundreds, possibly thousands young adults and children have lost their lives trying to drive us out.
The USA, and it's allies, always fight with strict rules as compared to the enemies they face. We have spent great money and research developing weapons that can pinpoint a weapons factory while leaving a hospital right next door untouched. And, btw, we didn't "bombard" anything. We use precision strike weapons. There's a huge difference. Civilian casualties have been extremely low as compared to other wars, and certainly as compared to the around the clock carpet bombings that have been done by both enemy and ally in previous conflicts. Do we make mistakes with our precision weapons, sure we do, we are human and therefore imperfect. But we do a lot better than in the past.

Humans are selfish and greedy animals. Each believes what he/she believe is the way to believe. Each will, and often do, fight for their own agenda. Humans have always waged war, and will always wage war. This is a fact of humanity. Some will not agree with the circumstances under which these wars are waged. In the US we have the freedom of speech and the power of vote to help the majority put the people in the positions to make the decisions that the majority agree with.

Stop crying and go vote. Otherwise, be quiet!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 01:39:41 PM »
You are not going to change my correct way of thinking, and I should think I won't change your incorrect way of thinking.

Haha, that's right up there with, "You're entitled to your wrong opinion."

There's a lot of truth to that, though.  It seems when it comes to politics and religion, everybody thinks they're right, and those who disagree are wrong, no matter how much evidence or logic is used to prove otherwise.  I don't think I've ever seen a debate change somebody's way of thinking on those subjects, so I tend to not even bother anymore.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 02:35:21 PM »
hahahahahahahahhaahahhahahhahahahahahhaha... you have got to be one of the most spineless people i now know.

I have my reasons, the main one just seeing how traumatized my uncle was after serving only 6 months in iraq. Hearing about little kids getting blown to pieces really didn't help my thought of the war either

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
War doesn't solve problems, it is the problem, and that's it as far as war goes.
Terrorist threat = war, already happening, been happening, more war just keeps making it a higher threat
Racism = war, ended by more war? nope, just smothered a bit
'nuff said.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:18:01 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 09:19:30 PM »
Stop crying and go vote. Otherwise, be quiet!

Yea, umm....I'm not old enough to vote. I need to wait 5 years or something.