Author Topic: no one can see my server whats w/ that  (Read 11923 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: no one can see my server whats w/ that
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »
ok. you can't just type your ipchicken address into the address bar of your browser. the only way that might work is if you were running a web server, but that's a different story.

so let me detail the 3 IPs you said you had.
  • - one from IP Chicken: also called your "external" IP, this is the one that should show up on the dp serverlist, and thus anyone outside your house will use this one to connect to your server. this one will look similar to: nothing, really. the numbers seem pretty random.
  • - "one from computer": if this is referring to your internal IP, this is the one that any other computers in your house would connect to. this will look similar to: 192.168.0.100
  • - one from your dad: since you said it got you to your router, your dad isn't crazy after all. but all this is good for is changing your router's settings (for port forwarding and the like). this one will look similar to: 192.168.0.1

if your external IP changed, i'm GUESSING (somebody correct me if necessary) that the dp serverlist would automatically detect the new IP by the heartbeats sent from your server.
if your internal IP changed, your router might now be forwarding that port to the wrong place. the ideal thing to do would be to give your serving computer a static "internal" IP so that it wouldn't be a problem in the future. because otherwise, it would very likely be a problem.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »
Correct the new "external" IP would automatically be detected.

The router should still forward to the same place even if the "internal" IP changed.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »
i thought that when you set up port forwarding on a router, that it will forward a certain port to a certain LAN IP. is that not correct?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 03:10:25 AM »
No the port is forwarded on the computer therefore it shouldn't mattere what the LAN IP is.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
forwarded on the computer? huh? doesn't make sense..
the whole LAN is represented by only one "external" IP, that of the broadband modem. traffic that comes on a certain port goes through that to the router, so then how else would the router know which computer on the LAN to send everything coming in on that port to?
it's not like the computer communicates with the router and says hey, gimme everything coming in on port xxxxx. how would it be possible do that anyway?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »
Mac addresses, and computer names?

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2007, 09:41:30 AM »
how would you port-forward using those?

Ocentrix

• PGP
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2007, 01:53:48 PM »
can i run a server on my psp
On your psp....were you serious?

MortalFear

• PGP
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »
first of all i am realy confused(i think if i read of it all about 5 more times i may get it but right now i am confused) 2 Ocentrix do u think i was not serious it has internet i was thinking if i could downgrade it i could get the programs i need on it

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2007, 07:29:15 PM »
It has internet, yes. It can probably run Linux too. You could start a server on it, if you really wanted to- but the server would be absolutely unplayable for anyone trying to join the server. It really wouldn't work.

MortalFear

• PGP
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2007, 06:13:23 PM »
wow i got my server running not sure y it dident work but a realy smart dude did it for me so it works now:D thanks for evry one who helped

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
when i first out up a sever it said success too but didnt show. I had to go to my control panel and setup my internet to allow gaming servers. Its hard to find but it might be the problem

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 06:19:45 PM »
first of all i am realy confused(i think if i read of it all about 5 more times i may get it but right now i am confused) 2 Ocentrix do u think i was not serious it has internet i was thinking if i could downgrade it i could get the programs i need on it
why would you downgrade? if anything, upgrade to get more features.

MortalFear

• PGP
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2007, 07:43:25 PM »
ok btw fullmetal if u know anything about psp downgrading makes it were u can do more stuff

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2007, 07:46:21 PM »
i think it says update honestly..at least my psp...unless u have a "special" one

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »
@ MortalFear:
... and that's called upgrading, not downgrading. downgrading means older or worse, and upgrading means newer or better.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »
exactly

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2007, 10:22:30 PM »
ace did ur sig get hacked? lol at least it looks like it or something.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2007, 10:33:08 PM »
I don't know squat about PSPs, but I know that you used to should, or still should, DOWNGRADE the firmware to reduce software restrictions. A lot of devices are like that, because newer versions prevent homebrew software from running.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2007, 10:48:55 PM »
oh, so like revert to an older version of the official firmware? then ya downgrade would be right..