Author Topic: Have link for vent 2.14 in file section  (Read 1084 times)

loial21

• Autococker
Have link for vent 2.14 in file section
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
that.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Have link for vent 2.14 in file section
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:59:54 PM »
Or have a link to Ventrilo 2.1.4 on GT's site. Or even have GT update their server to 2.3.0.  Ventrilo 2.1.4 is from 2003.

The fact that Ventrilo calls 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 a Mandatory Client/Server Update and removed the old download links, means they probably don't want people running around distributing older versions of their software.

I think we should let the Files section focus on downloads specific for PB2.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:02:18 AM »
Some people use Ventrilo, as well, which I think has much better sound quality, personally.  It also text-to-speeches player names instead of the generic "player left" messages teamspeak has.  The new version restricts the number of people that can connect to a server, so you have to grab an old one.  There's a copy here:

http://digitalpaint.org/test/Ventrilo.zip

Servers to connect to are: 216.127.68.86 (or dplogin.com) and 69.93.11.66 (if GT still has theirs up with that version).  I think more people use the teamspeak server, though.
Thats why I asked. Searching for that was a pain in the butt. No where was there liablities for not updating that I could find. TS / Vent either way these clients need to be used. Just like IRC.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:50:59 AM »
Considering a number of other sites have been forced to remove the old versions of ventrilo (example: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=ventrilo), I don't want to mess with any legal issues of linking it.  The new version of ventrilo limits servers to 8 people (unless something has changed recently), so they obviously don't want people running around with the old version with free unlimited client connections while they're trying to sell servers with higher client counts.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 05:56:41 AM »
I don't know why anyone is worrying about it now...  The newer version which allows only 8 people to connect unless you buy it has been around for what.... about 3 years now??  We've been running 2.14 the entire time.  We still have the file on the GRaFFiTi server and if anyone wants it send me an email and I'll get it to you.  I keep a copy on my PC as well.