Author Topic: A plea to Graffiti Paint Match Server Owners  (Read 9565 times)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
Re: A plea to Graffiti Paint Match Server Owners
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »
wow calm down, i just wanted to know why you would leave obs blackout off on one of the servers we LIKE to use for matches instead of the crappy guntemp ones. I think i have a right to know why that was the choice.

?? Is it that complicated ??  I've explained everything I've done all the way through Spook, and in easy to understand detail, then you come back with the crap you did??...

Reread the thread and if you don't understand that then get an education...

Calm down??

I adjusted 3 of 4 servers to your liking and you complain about the ONE I leave for those who don't like what you like??

Get a clue kid!!  As you can see I'm in no mood for such selfishness!

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »
Instead of observer blackout you could put force team chase cam on. I think that would server pretty much the same purpose as the obs blackout.

People don't like team chase cam, because they still want to recon the other team while they're dead.   They do like observer blackout because observers can't recon the other team on voice chat programs.

Rent it out??? Kid, are you on crack??!!  I've yet to receive payment from you as far as "RENT" is concerned so STOP trying to show your A$$.

I first heard the term 'rent a server' from the Europeans.  It's interchangeable with reserve, acquire, use, etc.  It's kinda weird because every definition of rent involves payment.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »
Regardless, The servers cost NOONE except those who are paying and we're NOT "RENTING" so the point is mute....   I hope that made sense...

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 05:41:06 AM »
..I think i have a right to know why that was the choice

Well, the truth of the matter is you only have 3 choices:

1. Play on the GT servers.
2. Don't play on the GT servers.
3. Go get your own servers.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
We know what rent means Bain, remember thats the "English" language you're using. But yeah, rent is a weird choice of word to use :/

PiCasSSo, just to clear up, i think most people like the classic settings + blackout on. Thats no guntemp, obs blackout, no flag cap ends round and no only cap when flag is at base.

Not sure who likes the match settings, im pretty sure most people only use them cos they NEED a server and there are no classics left.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 08:41:17 AM »
haha :)
I bet the word "rent" came into use by a link on my website which was labeled "rent it" and pointed to the server registration page :D that link is long gone, but still funny that anyone would even pick on the use of that word: of course nobody pays for the use of your servers, Picasso, but you know what he meant to say, don't you? Also, "acquire" and "use" would be inappropriate as well, as it basically is a reservation for a certain period of time which can only be overwritten by admins with rcon access

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »
PiCasSSo, just to clear up, i think most people like the classic settings + blackout on. Thats no guntemp, obs blackout, no flag cap ends round and no only cap when flag is at base.

Not sure who likes the match settings, im pretty sure most people only use them cos they NEED a server and there are no classics left.

Precisely why I created 2 "Classic" Match servers which have all the old school settings and 2 regular Match servers that have the newer settings like guntemp, flagcapendsround and flagmustbeatbase.

The idea is to give clans a choice of how they want to play by offering variety.   If you don't like guntemp, flagcapendsround and flagmustbeatbase then use the "CLASSIC" Match servers. 

If you prefer guntemp, flagcapendsround and flagmustbeatbase then Match 1 & 2 should be your choice.

And NOW ALL the servers have the noobserverblackout setting turned ON except "CLASSIC Match 1"

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 11:39:05 AM »
i know picasso, your argument wasn't with me :/

All i'm saying is i don't no anyone who likes the match settings, and only use those as a last resort when all classic servers are taken.

ugh im all confused, so are you saying that in all but one server you cant obs? if so then please make that one server a match server, not a classic.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:17:40 AM by Dirty_Taco »

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 02:18:15 PM »
+1 for lekky & DT
Picasso, wouldn't it be a possible compromise to change one of the servers with new settings to a server with classic settings? I seriously doubt that anyone ever plays on the non-classic servers when a classic server is available :)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 02:49:50 PM »
We used to have a No-1v1 disclaimer in the !match trigger and in the topic of #eR33t-Servers.  Whenever we caught people 1v1ing in the servers we just banned them from using the trigger.  It worked out rather well.

After re-reading my post I thought about a great idea.  What would be really cool would be a dropdown to select different configuration options when requesting a server on the website.  This could be as simple as Classic vs. Current configuration or as dynamic as specifying different options for flagmustbeathome, flagcapendsround, observerblackout, guntemp, etc.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
you mean, like a script that is executed upon getting login/pw (from the GT website), which then alters the current server settings? good idea :)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  I am inclined to agree with all of you as far as the match servers are concerned.

I won't have any time until this weekend but I'll talk with Snipen about it and see if he'll let me make only ONE server with all the newer settings and then I'll make the other 3 with classic settings?  I'll also see about adding on more classic server so that we have 4 classic style servers.  Then I'll set 2 of those with noobserverblackout ON and 2 with it OFF.  The one newr settings server will also have it ON.

I love Bain's idea as well but would definately need help implementing such an idea.

I hope that works for everyone and as always I am open for suggestions.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 06:53:04 PM »
I suggest that all match servers should have observerblackout on, especially the classic servers.  I don't understand why anyone would want a match server with observer blackout off, but thats just me..Then again they're your servers  :D

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 07:00:26 PM »
Casso, how come you flipped out on me when i said basically the same thing as everyone else? have a bad day or something?

BLONDIE

• Stingray
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »
I think it was the Jimmy BB talking :)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 07:07:23 PM »
Casso, how come you flipped out on me when i said basically the same thing as everyone else? have a bad day or something?

Your approach struck a nerve Spook...

SHHhhhhh Blondie!! Jimmy BB was not supposed to be visiting last night!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 10:41:24 PM »
The reason he 'flipped out' is because Olbaid, the original poster, was kind of enough to make a cordial 'plea' (see post title) as opposed to just a rant/beg...

All in all, who cares?

+1 for both of you for being so entertaining.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 07:00:37 AM »
Casso, if you wanna make mostly everyone happy then just make all classic match servers with obsblackout on and guntemp off. That would be great. Thanks.

btw +1 for yo yootz.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
I like bain's idea.  A nice little page with check boxes or edit boxes for all the common options would be a good idea: ffire, flagcapendsround, flagmustbeatbase, chasecamonly, obsereverblackout, elim, guntemp_inc, etc.  Since the script is already setting the password, it would be easy to set the rest of the stuff as well.  Then you could just have 3 or 4 generic match servers and people could use whatever settings they wanted.