Author Topic: Computer help please  (Read 2409 times)

JiGSaW

• Autococker
Computer help please
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:03:08 PM »
Alright, I have a little story here.  I have a pretty badass gaming computer right.  Well over the past month or so, it's been acting up, my hard drive would start clicking then it'd freeze up.  Then, it would get maybe...20 seconds into it after I'd turn it on, then shut down, just crap out on me, not go through the normal shutting down process.  Now, I just bought a new power supply and I just stuck it in my computer, it boots up for about 10 seconds still.  Then shuts down.  Anyone know what could be causing the problem?

Much help would be very appreciated.

lekky

• Autococker
Re: Computer help please
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »
try turning the hacks off? ???

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
Virus/spyware/malware or corrupt harddrive I'd think.
Try safe mode, press F8 before the windows boot screen, but after the BIOS one. Once you're in safemode scan for malware with some kind anti-virus program, some free ones are: AVG Free, ClamAV, Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, etc... Go to download.com if you're having trouble finding any of these.

Then, go to My Computer, right click your HDD, properties, and somewhere in there you can scan the disk for errors, do that.
In Windows it's also good to defragment your harddrive like once a month, but if you do it too often it isn't good, I think you're not supposed to do it more than once a week...you'd have to look that up though.

If your HDD is corrupt then re-install to see if it's just the partition messed up or if the actual HDD is...and if you have a lot of malware you might just want to re-install windows anyways...or some other OS.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
My computer doesn't even boot to get to any screens.  It won't even boot, my hard drive is already clear.  So it's not that.

Lekky - Act your age, not your detective size.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 03:36:12 PM »
Are there any beeps? And do you get any video on your monitor at all? Like some have a light that will be yellow when nothing is happening, and then go green when the video card is using it.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:17:01 PM »
Same thing was happening to me, and I have sent it to get fixed like 3 times for the same error, they tell me its an error in the memory.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »
If your hard drive was clicking, more than likely your hard drive is failing.

Restart your pc, get in to the system bios, and make sure that S.M.A.R.T is enabled for the harddrive.  You will get messages if/when the hard drive fails.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 04:51:48 PM »
Again, I can't get into Bios because my computer will not start up.  Nothing comes up on the screen, the monitor won't even turn on.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:15:29 PM »
so are you saying that you can hear the fan, but niothing else? So the fan starts up, but the pc doesnt.

That could mean a fried mobo. Of course if there is beeping you could be lucky. So tell us exactly what you see/hear and we can diagnose further.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 05:18:23 PM »
Try unplugging ALL the non essentials and then try to get into the BIOS as Knack has stated.  I also agree that if your HD is clicking, it may be crapping out on you as well.

I just got done having these same issues with mine....  What sucks is that the first brand new power supply I was trying to use turned out to be bad as well.   My "clicking" HD was bad and my MOBO was fried.

After I finally got all the new hardware, I had the same shutting down issues and found that the BIOS settings have to be precise for my processor and a really funny thing was that I had an outdated keyboard that would NOT let me install an OS.

What was wrong with your old PS?  Did you try getting into the BIOS with it as well?

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
My old ps was screwed.  Rusted inside and everything.  Not sure how.

I unplugged all non essentials and it still did the same thing.

My hard drive doesn't "Click" it clicks one time just to signal it's booting up.  Then the screen button (usually orange of course) turns green for about a second, then my system shuts down. 

I made a 50 second video of it earlier, i'll upload it and post it.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 07:04:11 PM »
PS? Do you mean PSU?  =P

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
I'm leaning towards the new PS being bad and/or possibly the mobo but that's just a guess.

Tinman, he knows what I mean.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »
I don't think my brand new power supply is bad.

How much do motherboards run in the price range.

I think it has a Asus in it.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 07:19:32 PM »
I didn't think mine was either.  The fan came on and it was brand new but the giveaway was a high pitched sound that my old ears could not hear.  Had it not been for my young friends good ears I never would have noticed it.   I just happened to have an old 250W power supply which I hooked to the mobo to test with only the video card hooked up and one HD.  Sure enough, it worked and the "brand new power supply" was bad.   

Snipen actually got me an ASUS mobo (A7V600-X) through EBAY.  I think it was around $30 or $40.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »
Ah, well my power supply sounds good.  I'm gonna take it down to the local computer shop tomorrow and see what they say is wrong with it.  I hope it's nothing more than my pocket has. :[

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:25:46 PM »
I hope so too...   It was definately frustrating trying to troubleshoot and get mine up and running again.

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »
Yeah, and I forgot to mention, my comp would get a lot of BSoD's before.  And, i'd leave it on for months straight.  Which is why I think it died.  I still don't know why i'd get BSoD's.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 05:06:57 AM »
compatibility issues i bet.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 08:13:08 AM »
compatibility issues i bet.

chair to keyboard interface??

j/k

Can you get in to the system bios at all?