Author Topic: FastBreak Beta3...  (Read 4607 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
FastBreak Beta3...
« on: April 13, 2007, 11:25:40 AM »
Fast, fun, CTF, DM, Pong (if I can figure out how the heck to add a ball and goals).

http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/fastbreak_beta2.zip

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:27:09 PM by S8NSSON »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
Re: FastBreak Beta2...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
Looks good S8N, yet another good map.

stigma

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 11:40:05 PM »
nice looking map

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
Fast, fun, CTF, DM, Pong (if I can figure out how the heck to add a ball and goals).

i'm not exactly sure this would work out well if it was set to pong but I could be wrong.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
It doesnt start pong and ctf together if thats what you mean :D. To play pong mode you need to "newmap fastbreak pong"

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:54:03 AM »
i have to set the ball and goals for pong yet.
The colored archn things would be the goals. Ball will start in the middle with an initial race for the ball from base spawns

the layout should have pong working great

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 02:54:25 AM »
Pong mode is pretty simple to set up -- it's just like 1flag ctf except you use a gamemode of 64, so add that gamemode to your bases and a "flag" entity in the middle of the map with gamemode 64, and you're good.

Some things you might want to tweak:

- Don't really like the flag placement.  It looks way too easy to defend, plus the flags aren't in a very obvious place.  I was running around on the map for a few minutes before I even noticed they were there.  Thought I had the map loaded in the wrong game mode.  Once you grab the flag, you're forced to trudge through the water, under the bridge, and up one of two small exits, both of which would be very easy to defend.  Unless there's nobody at the base defending, I imagine getting out of there alive would be very difficult (without having to eliminate all of the defense).  I think it would be a lot more straightforward to just put the flags on the bridge.
- The walls next to the bridge are kind of annoying as they force you to trek completely to the other side of the hill (as mentioned above).  I'd leave just enough room to squeeze through them.
- The walls need to be a bit higher.  There are a number of areas in the map where you can see over the walls and you can see random pieces or other parts of the map (you can see part of the blue arch in your second shot).  Looks like weird artifacts -- something you'd want to avoid.
- Texturing is inconsistent.  Some areas have dirt on the slopes and grass on the top.  Others have dirt on the top with grass on the slopes (looks weird).  The blue base has a large area of dirt which is grass in the red base.  The posts for the red bridge are made out of the rock wall texture instead of stone like the blue bridge.
- If you're going to have a center flag, you need to make it more accessible (I assume that's just where you're planning to put the pong ball?).
- Lots of little areas that it seems like you should be able to fit through but just aren't quite big enough (stuff like that is annoying in the heat of battle -- should be a quick fix with a couple clipping planes, though).

I can put together a demo to point some of those things out if you want.  I've uploaded the map to the beta server for testing (you remember the login pass?).

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 07:08:16 PM »
um i don't quite remember the pass.

A demo would be nice.

I actually planned the flag area like it is to offset the ability to traverse the map very quickly.
If it is thought the flags would be better up on the bridge, I can do that.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »
first loaded up the map and then i was like "wow how can this be fast??" nice map though it does flow very fast until you need to get that flag. Overall i'd give it an 8/10 ;P

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: FastBreak Beta3...
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:29:30 PM »
Fixed stuff
moved flag and cap up onto bridge
the color entrances to bridges are the goals for pong
removed white flag from middle
added pong ball in middle on ground
reworked the box blocking area on either side of mid

http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/fastbreak_beta3.zip

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:36:50 AM »
Anyone test this yet????
Should I release it????

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 08:05:40 AM »
I played this with 5 more ppl. Its quit dificult to just camp flag wich is a good thing but its way to quick to go from one base to the other...
But release it, there have been clearly worst maps being released.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
I haven't playtested it yet, but doubt that you can get to the flags too fast from what I've seen jumping through it.
There is (at least) one bad spawnpoint:
- red team, between the red and blue base under an arch near a wall. You should just move it a little bit away from the wall to fix it, because this way it's almost like getting stuck (but not really stuck, just weird)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 08:54:27 AM »
boon is that in DM mode right?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »
boon that's the info_player_deathmatch spawn
I always place a single spawn as the first thing in any map.
It has no game mode and so shouldn't ever span anyone there in game.
It got half placed in a brush during tweaking.
If someone actually spawns there in DM mode it could be an issue, but I don't think that will happen.

I have to do a final compile anyways and will move it for the final.

The CTF & Pong spawns in the base under the bridge were designed to slow the initial charge at the round's start.
This puts all spawns in one place and allows easy spawn camping. But I figured there really should be too many respawns going on in this map. But, of course, I think that on Rally21 or Airtime3 or Nightfactor also and the pub n00bs prove me wrong time and time again.

I expect the two outer paths could easily be locked down by cover fire forcing a center path flanking. The center path doesn't seem that accessible, but I haven't had a chance to play test it and see.

A strong rushing team will quickly overwhelm side path defenses. But I hope I made the main conflict areas with enough angles and cover to allow interesting battles.

I will do a INF file if someone can link me to how to do it.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 09:46:04 AM »
Wait until my LAN has playtested it, that should be a good test, it will be on sunday. Also, PLEASE make a .loc file for it!

http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Loc+Files

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »
boon is that in DM mode right?
yeah it was elim-mode (I guess TDM uses DM-spawns as well ^^)
and as I said, that was the only negative I could find without playtesting it :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »
I made a demo of some things that could use tweaking.  Forgot to attach it yesterday.

There are a lot of obstacles that make pong mode pretty difficult.  Sometimes you can spend quite a while trying to get it up and over the boxes and stuff.  One time I got it in the goal with one shot... unfortunately it was my goal, haha.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 02:51:18 PM »
There are a lot of obstacles that make pong mode pretty difficult.

Is there a way to have a brush present only in specified game modes? I know you can do this with entities (ie DM spawns vs CtF spawns), but can you do it with a regular brush?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
You can't do it with world brushes, but you can convert them to func_walls and use those.