Author Topic: The sad sad state of DP's servers  (Read 17048 times)

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
The sad sad state of DP's servers
« on: November 21, 2004, 07:24:58 AM »
This seems to be my yearly rant on the subject.

Was playing on Apex recently, which seems to be the main place to play DP these days.

Was having a nice fun game on KOTH (albiet with "caps end round" rules ON, which is trash and should be removed from the game because that rule sucks).  Then Dye32 comes in.  Admittedly I thought he wasn't such a n00b, guess my opinion about him was wrong though.  He says he's changing the map because KOTH sucks.

Of course I point out that KOTH is a decent map and it would more than likely be changed to something worse.

I say "if you're changing it, change it to Midnight".

He responds, "Midnight sux"

"Midnight sux?"  MIDNIGHT SUX?  IF YOU DISLIKE MIDNIGHT, YOU'RE AN IDIOT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, BECAUSE YOU CAN"T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF A MAP THAT HAS TWO PATHS.  GET THE intercourse OUT OF MY GAME YOU meddling 13-YEAR OLD intercourseTARD YOU'RE RUINING IT BECAUSE YOUR PURGING IT OF THE meddling GOOD CLASSIC MAPS LIKE MIDNIGHT

He switches the map to Icewar.  ICEWAR.  Godawful map.

Jit, please please PLEASE remove the ability for admins to change maps (and even for rcon to change maps).  The responsibility is clearly beyond what these morons can handle.

...Icewar?  Come on.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: The sad sad state of DP's servers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:43:30 AM »
I agree! The servers are becoming over-crowded sprayfests. We need to teach the admins and everyone around us that TATICS is a part of this game too. And i think that 14 people on ub_cliff is crazy. ub_cliff is a 3v3, 4v4 map. I think there should be a mexumim of 6-8 people per server. That seems to work well with all maps.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 12:43:13 PM »
Well, the new rotation code has min and max player requirements, but I guess that does nothing if the admin manually changes the map.  I can't just remove those admin commands, though.  They are kind of necessary, especially with matches.  I think the problem lies in the admins, not the commands.  Why is Dye32 an admin on Apex?  You can always play on apex test -- no admins there to mess with it. :)

As for the cap ends round rule, why do you think it sucks?  I think it's good for a few reasons.

1)  Stops cap-on-the-newbie fests.  I'm sure you've seen it.  One newbie is left alive, hiding off in a corner somewhere, meanwhile the other team runs 5 or 6 caps before someone respawns or someone has mercy and kills the newbie.
2)  Promotes teamwork -- it used to be one person would grab the flag and try to cap it, while everyone else would just sit in the enemy base and wait for the flag to return and make no attempt to protect the carrier -- he's on his own!  Well, if the flag is unlikely to return to the enemy base, it basically forces people to provide support for the flag carrier.
3)  Stops repeated 1v1 flag cap exchanges.  Frequent on maps like arenaball -- the game boils down to two people running cap after cap until someone gets lucky and hits the other guy or someone forgoes the cap points and just goes for the kill.
4)  Reduces spawn kills.  As pointed out in #2, it's less likely that there are going to be hoards of enemy players in your base when you respawn.  There is little less frustratrating than being killed the second you spawn because there are like 6 enemy players sitting around in your base waiting for the flag to return from the fifth cap  run in a row.

Obviously it must be paired with the "flag must be at base" rule so it's not just the fastest runner who gets the cap.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 12:52:52 PM by jitspoe »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 03:43:17 PM »
I Would Gladly Help Some To Run New DP Servers After I Buy A New Vid Card... But Untill then I cant help you, Sorry

P.S. Lets Get New Servers Orther Then Graffiti Cause They Suck... Apex Rock!

KICK A-S-S Apex!

-Termin8oR

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 04:09:03 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:01:47 PM by IronFist »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 04:39:54 PM »
Yeah.... I Hate american servers cause i get suchpoor ping so any canadian who is interested in helping me set up canadian public server(s) that would be nice

it costs money to run i hear unless you have a server already...

Contact Me: Dicerman_69er@hotmail.com   or  post it on a topic cause i check Forums more then twice a day  ( boring life! :D )

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 05:01:01 PM »
zimbu 2 things
 1st .......u just dont like maps where the enemy can see you coming ...as far as apex goes or graph
thanks hosting
......my suggestion is shut up and kill somone..it will make u feel better :)...or go back 2 hl2  ........
2nd btw thanks zimbu for the dp hand book u took the time to write ....to anwser your question about game spy ....use game spy arcade (you will need q2 w/no cd crack) and enter in q2 lobby  .. search by gametpye ...under "paintball"   you should be good to go
i dont think it was dye that changed the zimbu ..i was there

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:02:19 PM »
Another problem i've seen...

There's no team work. At all. Sometimes one person follows another, but that's hardly teamwork. "Teamwork" is when one person tosses a smoke grenade in teh entrance to a base where people are camping, and everyone charges in. That actually happened to me once! Fun as hell. But it doesn't happen anymore. We need to think of ways to promote teamwork. Like, having two guns complementing each other, or maybe just better maps.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 07:20:11 PM »
or hows   a  boot writing a friend fire limit ...on turn of ff on servers ....:( sadly saying

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 11:29:44 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:21:05 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 04:58:01 PM »
Quake2 Version Sucks For DP Anyways....
I Wish I Didnt Have To Use It At All

-Termin8oR

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 08:28:40 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:39:54 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 09:08:29 PM »
why taco ?
" Now all we need is quake2 or any alpha lower than 10 not be able to be used and we'll be in business"

i dont get any advantage at all from it other than being able to reconnect to any q2 server ....plus i can take my q2 no cd crack .exe and then zip it to my usb and without having to install can play right then and there anywhere that has internet connection
...i will stop there and await your responce ......

ingnorantly yours
L

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 09:56:41 PM »
Why are you still using Q2 again?

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 10:39:52 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:20:59 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Delirious

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 10:07:32 AM »
Well hopefuly soon, we will be able to offer a new hosting server that can manage personal matches and open games.

I'm currently working on a new bot, much like paintbot. which will be able to setup and manage many paint ball servers with selectable configurations. You will be able to access the configurations from a web page or irc client. It will also record the statistics of the game play and report it back in a web page. This will be really handy for keeping track of matches and personal stats. Much like er33t used to do.

You can idle in our irc channel for daily updates and general chat

irc.enterthegame.com:6667 #apexgameservers
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 10:08:59 AM by Delirious »

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 10:18:57 AM »
Thats Good News Delirious. Keep Up The Good Work! :D

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 04:42:37 PM »
what is frkq2?

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 06:11:22 PM »
Frkq2 is a wallhack/speedhack/aimbot for quake2 that does work on teh graffiti servers......

It is a seperate program that needs quake2 installed and acts like your normal everyday quake2 but it has the hacks built into it...

Its a CopyRight And A Hack

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 08:16:59 PM »
oh dear!!!  
...i can understand your concern ..during matches which i have never been in by the way ..that will change

aside from that  is this true?
with alpha haveing no bot protection it does not really matter what version the offender is using stand-alone or q2 ...both have bots and ways to oversize packets I assume .....christ im ingnorant
......cheaters suck and they know it .......jesus i will never undstand why they do what they do .......where is the fun you freaking morons .....

dear delirious......great news will apply to public servers :)???? i miss showing off the most ppg kills over 5000 :) most kills over all 40000+ (for a while (mut u suck)) and my horriable k/d ratio :) a whopping .97 ...god i suck
btw .97 k/d ratio rofl if cheated it didn't show there ..then there are those with 3.00 k/d ratio with over 10,000 kills ......hmmm  ill end there