Author Topic: Windows Home Server  (Read 3557 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Windows Home Server
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »
Is anyone else beta testing this? It's still downloading right now but it looks great

TinMan

• Autococker
Re: Windows Home Server
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 06:28:01 PM »
Got it earlier this month, ran it for a couple days, laughed a lot, went back to Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:28:31 PM »
From the MSDN site? If so, could I get a link to the login site, I can't seem to find it. :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
Yet another version of vista?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:34:51 PM »
Ha. Just what I don't need.

...Bloody Micro$oft...

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
From the MSDN site? If so, could I get a link to the login site, I can't seem to find it. :P
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

Yet another version of vista?
Yeah it has the Vista UI and runs like Server 2003 from what I've seen.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:39:20 PM »
It's based off of Server 2003, doesn't mean it runs like it. Server 2003 ran smooth without using resources, kinda like Win2K runs fine on most stuff, I use it because it runs better than XP for me and I don't like to deal with some of the stuff in XP. They ruined it by making it Vista-like. lol

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »
Server 2003 ran smooth without using resources, kinda like Win2K runs fine on most stuff,

I had an old P3 600 Mhz 32 Mb Ram, and Win2k ran much better than the Win98 that came with it. And I say 'had', because it was completely submerged in water Monday morning.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:19:54 PM »
And I say 'had', because it was completely submerged in water Monday morning.

Hahaha, what's the story there Z?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
Eww Waste of perfectly good home-servers.

Install ubuntu server and you're all set, less bloat,  better performance and  better stability :)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 09:10:03 PM »

Install ubuntu server and you're all set, less bloat,  better performance and  better stability :)

I have a large assortment of servers in my farm, some do run x64 Ubuntu.  I don't see why you had to flame here when I was asking about other beta testers...

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 09:18:06 PM »
Hahaha, what's the story there Z?

***Super Off-Topicnessish***

Well, Monday morning I woke up to my father saying "Get up! The basements flooded!". It had only 'flooded' once and it only got half of the floor wet (it isn't that level), so that doesn't really count. I thought thats what it was this time too. However, when I opened the basement door, I saw one foot of water on the floor. Then I looked over to where my stuff was, and my GameCube was completely submerged (I had it on the floor the night before playing it). I then looked over to my desk, and saw my computer also completely submerged. I had it on the ground because there wasn't enough room on the desk. I also had one of my sound systems (I had two) was half under water, and plugged in (makes for very dangerous water). You might be wondering why all of this stuff on the ground. Well, this is the second time water has ever been on that floor in over 13 years, and the first time barely counts. So, I figured that I wouldn't be able to save most of my computer and I removed my DVD burner. I dismantled it and brought it up stairs to dry (the boards haven't warped, yet) so it might still work. My GameCube is sitting on my bed on its side till I go home in another 2 weeks. I don't want anyone touching it until it is thoroughly dry, and hopefully it will still work.

Wow, that story is almost as long as the "where did your name come from" one.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 09:39:23 PM »
GC should work, dropped my Palm in a swimming pool once, the only time I think the battery was ever dead (hadn't charged for a week) waited a good week turned it on and it still work.   Good luck with it though.

I've considered several times asking you where your name came from, even going so far as to Google it.  (I even browsed your empty blog at Gamedesign.net :/) to no avail.  I searched the forum too, but who knows, maybe one of these days I'll find out.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »
I've considered several times asking you where your name came from, even going so far as to Google it.  (I even browsed your empty blog at Gamedesign.net :/) to no avail.  I searched the forum too, but who knows, maybe one of these days I'll find out.

Well, it was on the forums. It was in that month of lost data. I might get around to putting it up again. :)

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 10:25:02 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:20:28 AM by P!nk »

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 05:32:39 AM »

Smokey, try running a FreeBSD server, much more stable and requires less messing and updating. If you run an Ubuntu server I'd say stick to LTS.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 07:07:42 AM »
omg that's right, Chex Quest right? Where your ammo was Zorch? How could I forget that!

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 07:50:16 AM »

Smokey, try running a FreeBSD server, much more stable and requires less messing and updating. If you run an Ubuntu server I'd say stick to LTS.
Yea, I did stick with LTS. I haven't had any problems with it really, I run a couple eggdrops, some stats programs and AMP.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 07:58:18 AM »
Think I found it:
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=418.msg43971#msg43971

Haha. And thats the short version. :)

(sorry for the off-topicness)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 08:04:13 AM »
Are you kidding? Between the Computer being drowned, the Linux discussion, and your name.. I was going to post screens of Windows Server Home, but I thought that would be inappropriate since it's ON-Topic :-/  Haha I kid, screenshot on next page.