35 (55.6%)
30 Seconds
17 (27%)
10 Seconds
9 (14.3%)
None
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Respawn Time?  (Read 15568 times)

WarWulf

• Autococker
Re: Respawn Time?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 09:26:42 PM »
I still think the elim time should be set by the level designer, maybe like have a public_spawntime & match_spawntime in the worldspawn, but some people are scared that this will be abused even though most of the people that would try to abuse this wouldnt even be able to make a 1 path map ;)

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
default standards are the best...this respawn time has worked forever, why are people questioning it now?  I think the moral of the story is "newbies dont like to wait 60 seconds to respawn because they all die within 5 seconds of the rounds start" so they set a low respawn time to give the illusion that they're actually good players.  DONT DIE

Sharp

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 05:27:51 AM »
TBH if ur lookin for some quick fun, then 30seconds is better and more intense. Who knows maybe it will atract new gamers?

But Most if not all of OTB servers have 30 second spawn so i dont think we need another server like that...60 will do.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 05:29:14 AM »
What is the respawn time for items set to?

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »
TBH if ur lookin for some quick fun, then 30seconds is better and more intense. Who knows maybe it will atract new gamers?

But Most if not all of OTB servers have 30 second spawn so i dont think we need another server like that...60 will do.

this is like exactly a point i wanted to make, new european gamers play on the OTB servers mostly and get used to the 30second respawn, then when they match its default 60 seconds and people get upset/confused i just think changing respawn is a bad idea in general

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 01:31:27 PM »
i'm telling you, 45 is the way to go.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 01:36:03 PM »
What is the respawn time for items set to?

items respawn a few seconds after they are used up (bullets) or dropped and not picked back up (e.g. after a player died). I don't know the delay, but can't be more than 3-5 seconds.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »
items respawn a few seconds after they are used up (bullets) or dropped and not picked back up (e.g. after a player died). I don't know the delay, but can't be more than 3-5 seconds.
i think it is a bit more

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »
Tek pp1 for example.  If you respawn in less than 60 seconds, you just stand around with your manhood in your hand waiting for a gun.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 02:21:45 PM »
Tek pp1 for example.  If you respawn in less than 60 seconds, you just stand around with your manhood in your hand waiting for a gun.
with 45 that almost never happens

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »
well that is bullexcrement.  with 45 seconds you would end up waiting a lot more often, but as those short spawntimes are where the newbies play, they die more often, letting items respawn more often as well^^

{appy Hamper

• VM-68
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 06:30:23 PM »
I personally do not prefer long elim times excepting scenario maps, or just when there's a ton of people playing.  I'm used to 2v2, 3v3, and occasionally 4v4 games in a window of playing opportunity that only lasts an hour or so.  I would much rather spend the whole time playing then watching.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »
I often wonder how counter-strike became so popular when it had no respawns at all, while some people here struggle waiting a whole minute.

KnacK: I think items are set to respawn relative to the elim setting (with a minimum of 5-10 seconds and a max of 60-70).  It's been years since I've looked at that code, though, so I don't remember for certain.

On a map like propaint with the spawn rooms, you might be spawning in a different room than your equipment did, so you're stuck waiting for somebody else's to spawn.

ALE

• PGP
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »
in MY opinion, 60 seconds is too long, if ure playing againsta good players and get killed in for example: 25seconds u would be spending 60 seconds waiting and only 25 playing
booooooooooooooring

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
in MY opinion, 60 seconds is too long, if ure playing againsta good players and get killed in for example: 25seconds u would be spending 60 seconds waiting and only 25 playing
booooooooooooooring
So is respawning after 5 seconds.
With low respawns you dont care too much about getting killed and might jsut rush and spray every round.
With high respawns you might have even to THINK while your playing to not get killed quickly.

That might just work for real matches for now, but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time when match respawns are also lowered to shorter times.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
booooooooooooooring
With low respawns you dont care too much about getting killed and might jsut rush and spray every round.
With high respawns you might have even to THINK while your playing to not get killed quickly.

Good reasoning there Matze

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 05:02:14 PM »
I often wonder how counter-strike became so popular when it had no respawns at all, while some people here struggle waiting a whole minute.

I wouldn't say I wonder as much as I analyze, but when we started playing CS... first-person shooters weren't big online, and it was basically a free game for what everyone already owned (HL)... I'd imagine that if CS weren't released before, and CS:Source was released today, things might be different.  Everyone played CS, it's all some know, why stop?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »
Paintball2 was a free game for everybody owning Quake2 as well, and came out before counter-strike.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 05:33:37 PM »

I wouldn't say I wonder as much as I analyze, but when we started playing CS... first-person shooters weren't big online, and it was basically a free game for what everyone already owned (HL)... I'd imagine that if CS weren't released before, and CS:Source was released today, things might be different.  Everyone played CS, it's all some know, why stop?

People like CS because it was the first REALISTIC FPS game out there, and it was free.

That might just work for real matches for now, but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time when match respawns are also lowered to shorter times.

great point matze, i knew we kept you around for a reason.  Its plain and simple people, if you dont like the 60sec respawn its because you arent good enough to stay alive.  Getting eliminated is like punishment or jail if you will, but you get to go back and play after the time is up. Abstract: Get good and quit complaining about dying after you get 10ft out of your base

Sharp

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 09:43:36 AM »
matze, i knew we kept you around for a reason.  Its plain and simple people, if you dont like the 60sec respawn its because you arent good enough to stay alive.  Getting eliminated is like punishment or jail if you will, but you get to go back and play after the time is up. Abstract: Get good and quit complaining about dying after you get 10ft out of your base

Thats not gonna exactly help in inviting new gamers, inevitable they will die quickly...But we have enough OTB servers to cater for their needs =]

Also the poll isnt very fair since its the more established players who are registered to the forums, so they will most likely vote for 60 seconds. But if the newbies knew of the DP Forums 30 seconds would win by a landslide victory.