Author Topic: Beach Siege -- VERY early stage.  (Read 3678 times)

SkateR

• Autococker
Beach Siege -- VERY early stage.
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »
Hey, the only reason I'm posting this is for ideas. The main idea is going to be like that d-day style thing. This is just the basic design of the beach area. I did a lot of work on the cliffs, no more of that zig zag crap.

That's all I've done so far. It takes forever to make walls and crap out of wedges, but whatever.

ideas please.

Edit:

better picture of the wall work I've done.

Not that amazing, but better than I've always done

Spook

• Autococker
Re: Beach Siege -- VERY early stage.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »
Make it bigger? it's alittle hard to tell how big that would be, but it looks nice. Make an underwater passage way, that would be kinda cool. Other then that, idk clutter it with a building of some sort and some crates and barrels

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »
Right now it's actually pretty big. That is just the spawn area, its going to be a lot bigger.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:16:17 PM »
looks good...dont intercourse it up

make the shore line not so perfectly straight, a minor detail but it would look good.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:19:04 PM »
Rofl, nice sentiment, if that's just the spawn it should be good, just add more paths and make it different then the whole D-day thing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:44:23 PM »
That's all I've done so far. It takes forever to make walls and crap out of wedges, but whatever
That's exactly why you need to quit using WC and learn clipping planes in BSP.  Glad to see you at least moving up from flat vertical walls, though.

You need to be careful about open areas and water.  I suggest checking r_speeds with build 17 as they will give a more accurate representation of how many polygons are used.  Previous versions don't take into account water polygons or reflections.  You'll want to find a way to mask the rest of the map off from the water areas to minimize this.

As for ideas, maybe some kind of beach house?  Like the type you'd have parties or maybe concerts and other events at.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:54:52 PM »
We'll see. I'll have to think of some stuff. I know how to use bsp, but clipping planes is no different from taking a wedge and manipulating it in wc. It's too hard for me to move around fast in Bsp

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:56:54 PM »
Oh, is there a way to simulate a tide?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »
that would be awesome, but i doubt you would be able to get something realistic, all i would be able to think of is a func train that would be just one motion and would probably look like excrement.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
Actually, Quake2 does have a special liquid entity that can be used to raise and lower water.  I assume it would work in paintball2, though I've never tested it.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 12:28:55 AM »
I'll see what I can do.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 07:33:47 AM »
Actually, Quake2 does have a special liquid entity that can be used to raise and lower water.  I assume it would work in paintball2, though I've never tested it.

Haha. That one is a pain to get to work right (maybe I'm not doing it right?), but it can look awesome once you have it done.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
Skater when if you figure out the tide stuff, post it here so Zorch, myself, and other DP junkies can use it.... please.

Good map, I would recommend some terrain other than the grass being raised, maybe some low spots? Sand tends to be smooth near water, and  as you go up the shore you'll find buried kids, treasure, dog droppings, etc. 

edit:
Using the func_model entity why not make a DP model buried waste down in the sand? That would look pretty sweet.

Or use Zorch's 'man in ice' idea and have a man encased in ice floating in the water to be used as cover... Much like you see cavemen in ice floating in movies.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
Or use Zorch's 'man in ice' idea and have a man encased in ice floating in the water to be used as cover... Much like you see cavemen in ice floating in movies.

Now that would be awesome! :D

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 04:46:13 PM »
Get some originalilty in some of these maps. That would be an awesome thing, even if you made a "sandtrap" and people walk over it and get pushed through an elaborate maze and launched back out to sea.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 05:02:07 PM »
Get some originalilty in some of these maps. That would be an awesome thing, even if you made a "sandtrap" and people walk over it and get pushed through an elaborate maze and launched back out to sea.

Haha that doesn't stike you as the least bit annoying?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 05:34:42 PM »
To me it sounds like an anti seige idea, kinda like GTFO it's my flag!

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:05:04 PM »
I'm too lazy to finish this

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »
I'm too lazy to finish this

I'll take it. ;)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »
Off: Zorch, to the best of my knowledge I've yet to play any of your maps, mind zipping them to me?
On: I think it could be a good start... you ought to finish it..