Author Topic: FAQ  (Read 17354 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
FAQ
« on: December 20, 2004, 01:21:55 AM »
Well, I need to get some FAQ's in the documentation, I think.  Time to brainstorm on some questions that are frequently asked...

How do I download and install Paintball2?
How do I start a server?
Why aren't any servers showing up on the serverlist?
How do I make a map?
How do I put colors in my name?
Why do servers keep playing blitz.bsp? That map sucks! (I wish that was a FAQ;))
Are there any bots?  How do I use them?
What's OpenGL?
How do I tell what video card I have?
Where do I download drivers?
I made my screen smaller -- how do I make it larger again?
Can you add [insert gun name here] to the game?
The game crashes, what's going on?

Feel free to add more questions that are likely to be asked.  This is probably going to be a brainstorm/dumping ground for stuff before I put it in actual html files for the documentation area.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:26:34 PM by jitspoe »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: FAQ
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 06:20:41 PM »
How do I install/reinstall/uninstall the game?
Install: Simply extract the zip to c:\games (or wherever you want).  A paintball2 folder is created automatically.  Click here for a full installation guide.
Reinstall: Usually just deleting paintball2\pball\configs\config.cfg will effectively "reinstall" the game as it will reset all your settings.  Otherwise you can delete the paintball2 directory and re-extract it from the zip file.
Uninstall:  Delete the paintball2 directory.  That's it.

What's OpenGL?  Where do I get it?
OpenGL, short for Open Graphics Library, is used for rendering the 3D graphics in Paintball2.  While OpenGL comes installed on recent versions of Windows, often times the default video card drivers won't support it.  Some older hardware won't support OpenGL at all.  In order to play Paintball2, you will need to install video drivers that support OpenGL.

How do I tell what video card I have?
WindowsXP/2000:
Right-click on "My Computer."  Go to "Properties."  Click on the "Hardware" tab.  Click "Device Manager."  Click the [ + ] next to "Display Adaptors."

Where do I download drivers?
This depends on the card you have.  If your card has an nVidia chipset, go to nvidia.com and click on "Download Drivers."  Select "Graphics driver" and chose the appropriate one for your card.

If you have an ATi card, visit ati.com and click on "Drivers & Software."  Select your OS, then "Graphic Driver" and select the appropriate one for your card.

If you have another card, search google for the name displayed in Device Manager (see "How do I tell what video card I have?").  You may need to add "drivers" to your query in order to find a place to download drivers.  If you're having trouble finding a place to download drivers, contact us and we'll try to help you out.

Why do I get this error about pics/colormap.pcx?
Ten times out of ten, this means you installed the game incorrectly.  Either you tried to run an update/patch by itself, without having previously installed a full version, or you extracted it to the wrong directory.  For more information, see the Installation Guide.

Are there any bots?
There is a crude ACEBot implementation, but the bots just wander around and shoot for now (no CTF/weapon strategy yet).  To add a bot to your game, type "sv addbot", or if you're remotely logged in, simply "addbot".  To control the bots, use "sv botcommand <all/botname> <command>".  For example, "sv botcommand all join red" or "sv botcommand ACEBot_1 say hi".  To remove bots, type "sv removebot <all/botname>".

Do you make money off of this game?
Nope.  Some people have donated some cash, but there's not much profit to be made from a free game.

I made my screen smaller.  How do I make it larger again? / How do I get rid of the border around the screen?
Go to the console (hit ~) and type: viewsize 100
Also, to stop from accidentally shrinking the view again, type: bind "-" ""

Why aren't any servers showing up on the serverlist?
If you aren't using the latest version, you NEED to update in order for the serverlist to work properly.  If you are using build 13, try deleting paintball2\pball\serverlist.dat then load the game back up and hit "update."  If you still don't get any servers showing up, look at the console (hit ~) for any connection errors.  Make sure you don't have any firewalls/virus protection programs blocking Paintball2's internet access.  ZoneAlarm and Norton can often cause problems.

How do I start a server?
If you just want to start a quick LAN game, simply go to Play/Start Game.  If you want to set up a dedicated server, we have a handy little guide here.

Can you add [insert gun name here] to the game?
Maybe, but it will be a while before we add any new weapons, if we even do.  The current set of weapons is designed to provide a broad range of firing rates, from pumps to full autos.  Adding anything else would just be redundant, not to mention make it more confusing to the newbies.  Since there isn't really anything to be gained, we're focusing our development time elsewhere for now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:09:11 AM by jitspoe »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 02:35:13 AM »
"Why the crap do I suck so much? How do i get better?"

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:23:34 PM »
rofl nice thanks for making me spit my soda out me nose..funny

not boasting this is acutally sad but i have logged more time playing pb than anyone

My screen is small(among other things) How do I make my screen bigger?

How do i make my screen brighter (include how to turn up gamma from desktop)

the most asked questions however, on the servers are

"How the hell do you guys jump so high and go so fast?" 

"Whats the command to cap fps/ and or rate"

"How do i disable vsync"

critical questions all 

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 03:33:25 PM »
"How do I change my crosshair?"
"How do I take a 'clean' screenshot?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 10:37:48 PM »
What are you referring to by "clean" screenshot?  One without the HUD?

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 08:24:57 PM »
I've seen them all... including lioalaia asking them when he started.  A few come to mind but may not be FAQ worthy:

How do I throw a grenade?
How do I change my name?
How do I pick up a gun?
How do I change guns?
What's the best gun, barrel, etc.
Why does loial run around and take all the stuff?

Thx

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 02:30:45 PM »
First of all its My Lord not loial

And as you already know it is  cause i do all the work  MR. Hoboto  >:(

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 09:35:15 PM »
Jits- Yes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 01:17:25 AM »
Oops.  Exceeded maximum message length...

The game locks up or crashes.  How do I fix it?
There are a number of possible causes for this.  The first step would be to update all of your drivers to the most recent versions.  If you are still having problems, it might be a bug in the game itself.  Let us know about it by posting in the bugs forum.

How do I change my crosshair?
Go to the console (hit ~) and type "crosshair 0" through "crosshair 7" (without the quotes).  There will be a menu option for this later.  To add custom crosshairs, create an image in the paintball2\pball\pics directory called "ch#.tga" or "ch#.pcx" then type "crosshair #" in the console (where # is any number).

How do I change the font size?
Currently everything is tied together with cl_hudscale.  You can type something like "cl_hudscale 3" at the console or go into the layout settings and adjust it there.

How do I take a 'clean' screenshot?
If you want to remove everything from the HUD, type "cl_drawhud 0" at the console, take your screenshot (default key is F12), and set cl_drawhud back to 1.

How do I pick up/change weapons?
You can only hold one weapon at a time.  In order to pick up a new weapon, you need to drop your current one.  The default key to drop a gun is 1.  This holds true for most of the items.  You can select keys for dropping each item from within the setup menu.

What's the best gun?
The weapons, in order of firing rate are: PGP, Trracer, Stingray, VM-68, Spyder SE, 68 Carbine, Autococker, Automag.  Generally the Autococker is preferred because of its firing range and accuracy.

What do barrels do, and which is best?
Barrels improve distance and accuracy.  Steel is the best.  Brass is the worst.

How do you move so fast and jump so high?
Strafe jumping (also known as bunny hopping) is a key part of the game.  You can build your velocity while you're in the air by strafing sideways and moving forward at the same time, especially if you turn slightly in the direction you're strafing.  Touching the ground will slow you down, so keep jumping!  Ramping off hills and double jumping off of boxes and other things will boost your jump height and distance.  Use them to your advantage.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 01:54:52 AM by jitspoe »

rooflez

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 12:42:59 AM »
Are there like toggle aliases?

i.e. one button that turns off cl_drawhud and turns it back on when pressed again?

TuxAttack

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 11:13:33 AM »
Why is there only one server?

I fired up pball in wine the other day and noticed all the servers had zero players.  I thought maybe there are new servers, so I did a clear and update and refresh and all that, but now my list only has the official server in it.  Looking at http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/servers.txt the list seems a little short.  What's up?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 12:23:13 PM »
Um... whoa... good question.  I don't know what happened there.  Looks like the list got seriously fubarred.  I'll fix it when I get back from work.

Edit: oops.  I see what I did.  I uploaded the file from the wrong directory.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 12:35:36 PM by jitspoe »

matt

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 05:52:40 AM »
umm i have a question now, i tried downloading it, i did it the right way and an error messege came up making sure i had an open gl or somthing else, my video card is NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro (microsoft corporation  i know my dad wont let me change the drivers so is there anyway to play this with my computer, and if you need to know more please ask.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 11:59:55 AM »
The Microsoft drivers will not work with OpenGL.  You HAVE to install the nVidia drivers (or get your dad to do it).  The game will work on a TNT2, though.

matt

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 04:23:27 PM »
sorry im a little confused, the game wont work with my computer?  that means i cant play becasue my drivers arnt right? is that the reason why or is there another reason.  is the only way to fix it is to install new drivers?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 04:52:49 PM »
The game WILL work on your computer if you install new drivers.  It WON'T work with the Microsoft drivers.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 06:17:31 PM »
what are you trying to say ? do be so cryptic  :P :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 06:22:42 PM »
what are you trying to say ? do be so cryptic  :P :P
You're one to talk! :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 06:35:04 PM »
Agreed. What jit's said was clear anyway.
But just to further clairify:

You have to install the new drivers.