Author Topic: My "bombsaway" problem  (Read 2318 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
My "bombsaway" problem
« on: May 11, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
I made a map a while ago, and I decided that the water parts were going to be paint.. thus people get eliminated when they come into contact.

I downloaded the source for Bombsaway (much thanks) and recreated the paint-lake effect.

Now much like bombsaway, in which wpoly reaches 1500 a ttimes, my map averages 10,000 wpoly at all times that I look at the paint.

I know I'm using the new build for r_speeds in which reflective water counts, but it's just obnoxious to have 100-200 frames per second, since I know for some that translates to 5-10.

Any ideas on how I could fix it?

Also: I did find it odd that no matter what the paint isn't clear and reflective like water unless I select the 'warp' flag.

I won't be offended if you assume I overlooked something obvious to lower the r_speeds, so ask away!

Thanks,
y00tz

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: Bombsaway
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
Water always murders r_speeds. especially large pools of water in large areas. I cannot remember what map Bombsaway is, my memory is horrendous, but maybe you can add stuff to seclude the water or block it from large areas. Or possibly use less water. If there is something I'm missing or wrong, I'm sure Jits will correct me.

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: My "bombsaway" problem
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:24:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply Zorchenhimer.

For reference this is bombsaway:

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
In short, the current map format isn't designed to have water like paintball2 does.  There's no visibility sets for reflections.  It just takes its best guess as to what to draw.  Also, the reflection and ripples are triggered by the "warp" flag.  That's really all there is to work with.  You have to figure that reflective water is going to at least double your polygon count, plus the water polygons are broken up to create the wavy effect.  If you scale the texture up, it won't be subdivided as much and will reduce the polygon count some.

Bottom line:  Water is going to make your r_speeds explode.  Use it carefully.

On a side note, you need to fix your grass texture.  The original was very green, and yours has like no color at all.  I'd hate to have to ban you.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 04:18:34 PM »
Wait, what grass?

Edit:
Jits I downloaded your bombsaway1a.map and compiled that so Zorch could see what the map is. The texture where I replaced ground1_1 is an hr version of GRAVE03_4.

Below: lo-res w/ default texture

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »
Ah, nevermind.  I thought that was a shot of the original bombsaway with some funky highres grass texture.  You did say, "For reference this is bombsaway:".

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »
Now I remember what map it is! Thanks. Now only if Jits would let me put map pics into my menus, I could remember allot more maps. ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »
Now I remember what map it is! Thanks. Now only if Jits would let me put map pics into my menus, I could remember allot more maps. ;)
That would be hell to code, using the menu system. >_>

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 08:44:12 PM »
I beg to differ. If I could use variables in filenames I could then use one menu text file for the A-Z, 1-0, "Inprogress", "Beta", and "All" categories. Thus making working on my menus much simpler and less time consuming.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:59:07 PM »
I should have said using the current menu system.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 09:05:58 PM »
Haha. Ok, yes, for the current menu system that would be a living Hell to code. But why would I do that to my self?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »
Anyway :P
I think I'll scrap the map. I could post some screens of what I was doing with the bombsaway source if you'd guys like,  but it looks like the 90% FPS drop killed the idea.