Author Topic: IRC Server Discussion  (Read 13398 times)

lekky

• Autococker
IRC Server Discussion
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
Ok so, im starting this thread as a discussion in which I feel we can increase the size of this community.

I really feel we should move to Quakenet, rather than stay at GGC as we are now. I think joining a large network would go massive lengths to getting more people to play this game.

At the moment we are stuck in a tiny server all to ourselves, just do a /list and you'll see exactly what i mean. Sometimes it feels like some members of this community want to keep it for themselves, there own little secret game where they can be king. The game has a lot more potential than we are allowing it to have. New clans that might play this game, wont because they will not come to our server, and cannot be involved in our community. Im absolutely certain this wouldn't be the case on a server like Quakenet.

I've been idling in Quakenet for a fair while now, and I honestly see no problem with aving our community on there. This game cannot bring in new gamers on its own, we need to actively help it do this if we really want to increase the popularity of the game.

On a side note I have been told that we were once on the Quakenet server, and left for some reason?

Lets discuss this without bias, and for the good of this game and our community.

Holo

• VM-68
Re: IRC Server Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:31 PM »
Well, the good outcome for this could be: That we get more players to the community, and that DPball becomes more known.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
I think it's a good idea, and worth trying.. not like it's very hard to switch servers..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
I was never keen on the move to gg-center to begin with.  I haven't scoped out QuakeNet, but between ETG and GlobalGamers, I still think ETG is the better of the two.  Even with half the people #paintball still has more activity on ETG.

ETG did shoot themselves in the foot, though when they started banning people for "advertising" the other network.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »
+1 for QuakeNet for the reasons Lekky mentioned.  Although I won't be able to be there very often, as people behind my proxy seem to get banned from there fairly often :D

inFamOus

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:43:20 PM »
Hey what IRC channel is Dp on?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »
Hey what IRC channel is Dp on?

I believe you mean server.

And it is on irc.gg-center.net

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 06:26:30 PM »
ETG was fine but they were too much of a hassle. GGc is a very friendly community and easy to use server, although its small and has frequent netsplits. I think it's fine for now. If we move anywhere it should be Gamesurge

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »
Not gamesurge because of the terribleness, and NOT quakenet

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 10:27:04 PM »
QuakeNet FTW, I grew up there. =/

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 12:18:15 AM »
i cant connect to gg-center with my irc identd and i use to use quakenet for qwtf but enterthegame has allways been a good community.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:02:24 AM »
Global Gamers is a great network. Stop the hate.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 06:04:02 AM »
Joe I have nothing against GGC, I think the admins are a great bunch tbh. But its not helping this game being stuck on there one little bit. Like I said we need to put the community first if we want to help the game reach its potential audience.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 11:20:12 AM »
the game is growing...its bigger than its ever been, it has more clans that it ever has..i dont know what more you want? Its a game based on the Quake2 engine and to be honest so many gamers are going to pass DP up because of that

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 11:47:53 AM »
Don't you see, thats exactly my point.

Its hard enough getting new players as it is, new players will not go out of their way to start playing this game. Being on, what is like our own hideaway server, is out of their way. We need to make it easier for people to come in and integrate themselves with us as a community, not add extra ways to block them from doing so.

Sharp

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »
QuakeNet Ftw, I didnt bother reading it all, but its lekky...So must be all good. Unless he just came from the pub. :P

k3y

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »
quakenet sucks. stay @ ggc! opers in quakenet are the most ugliest ppl i've ever seen and nobody cares of 50 new chans of the pb2 community!

k3y

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 08:17:05 AM »
and in quakenet the ppl aren't really interested in "old" games like pb2... they play battlefield2 counterstrike and other games like that

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »
As long as we don't go back to ETG, my ban doesn't end for I think 5 more months.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »
and in quakenet the ppl aren't really interested in "old" games like pb2... they play battlefield2 counterstrike and other games like that

I have to disagree with that. I've spent the last couple of days going around clan sites that play games like BF2 and CS:S, and alot of them have shown interest in this game with one having a clan match on the same day i let them know about it. Like i've been saying, there is alot of potential for the game even if its just down to the quality gameplay.

ETG was fine, we didn't own the top 20 channels there. But lets make a move really worthwhile, Quakenet will add new players, of that I have no doubt.