Author Topic: IRC Server Discussion  (Read 13392 times)

AsThor

• Autococker
Re: IRC Server Discussion
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 10:43:53 AM »
Why should we go to quakenet?
I like it as well as it is here on GGC.
Quakenet is excrement, we may have only 5 operators per channel with this L bot.
Then are already awarded channel names like #paintball or #darkness
I don't like this idea.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »
Asthor no, you may only have 5 operators maximum to originally register a channel. Once registered you can have as many as you like. I actually like the process of registering channels. Together with the global login it should help make the clanning scene more structured. No more clans being made on the spot then dying 5 minutes later, only to reform again under a different name.

Major

• Stingray
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
is what your saying that you need 5 people to register a channel? bad idea say people new to the game want to start channel and not all of them have irc yet.. than they cant start channel or if there is 5 people there is obviously going to be fights over the channel plus community channels dont need 5 people pretty sure shud only be jitspoe n 1 or 2 more or pbcup also pretty sure bain doesnt want to share his channel

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 05:30:22 PM »
Thats not it either. To register a channel, you must have at least 1, and at most 5 moderators.Once the channel is registered you can have as many as you like.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »
It might be useful to review some previous discussion on the issue: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=3939.0

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 06:44:05 PM »
Let me remind you about how many netsplits quakenet has, the lack of good services,  and overall terribleness.
Stick with GGC.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 06:49:51 PM »
We are GGC. We need to move to a larger server to open up the community. True there are more netsplits than GGC, but to be honest its hard to notice as you're back on straight away.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
Being on a different network is not going to help the game.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »
It seems GGC has more netsplits than ETG, not that it's really much of an issue on either network.

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 01:36:12 AM »
and on quakenet theres no support for clans like
!members or !lastmatch
Skater is right. if we move then to gamesurge

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41:17 AM »
Well, the good outcome for this could be: That we get more players to the community, and that DPball becomes more known.

1.do u really think ppl who play quake 4, counterstrike, aa would play a quake 2 mod? lmao
2. Quakenet is horrible to use. (amo - am what ever i hate the levels for OPs in quakenet.
3. No scrim Reguests, No Member-script, No lastmatch-script. Its not for dp made.

Hatecrew

• Stingray
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 02:59:41 AM »
It isnt made 4 clans...
Sure u can go to 20n2 and find a cs match but QN isnt supporting gamers like gamesurge or ggc.

And mZ is right...who the intercourse cares about a quake2 mod..if he plays cs:source...dod:source or Quake 4 or Americas Army ?!

frozi

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 03:16:34 AM »
i like ggc its very friendly there and all but i understand that you want to move to a bigger network because dpball could be more popular.

BUT quakenet is the wrong choice in my opinion.
-the network is not really made for clans
-noone will care about dp
-commands are terrible
-ggc is better but smaller

the only point for Qnet is they have more then 1000 people idling there.

so why should we move there :(

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 03:34:05 AM »
- actually there are a bunch of q2 and q2-mod communities on Quakenet.  And probably nowhere else.
- I agree on the !scrim command, all others are quite useless and could be coded for your own channel without much effort
- GGC-admins grant paintball-users a lot of attention, but that is simply because they'd have nobody to pay attention to when paintball is gone, as we probably make up 1/2 of their users

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 04:23:34 AM »
For your interest, UT makes up a big part of GGC's network... irc.UTchat.com is even forwarding to GGC. ;)

- GGC-admins grant paintball-users a lot of attention, but that is simply because they'd have nobody to pay attention to when paintball is gone, as we probably make up 1/2 of their users
Right on that point, though :)
1/2 dp, 1/2 UT and a few who are related to some of the admins.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 04:43:36 AM »
1.do u really think ppl who play quake 4, counterstrike, aa would play a quake 2 mod? lmao

And mZ is right...who the intercourse cares about a quake2 mod..if he plays cs:source...dod:source or Quake 4 or Americas Army ?!

you guys should learn to read the threads you post in.

and in quakenet the ppl aren't really interested in "old" games like pb2... they play battlefield2 counterstrike and other games like that

I have to disagree with that. I've spent the last couple of days going around clan sites that play games like BF2 and CS:S, and alot of them have shown interest in this game with one having a clan match on the same day i let them know about it. Like i've been saying, there is alot of potential for the game even if its just down to the quality gameplay.

ETG was fine, we didn't own the top 20 channels there. But lets make a move really worthwhile, Quakenet will add new players, of that I have no doubt.

frozi

• PGP
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 07:12:39 AM »
i mean guys its not important if someone is right or wrong in some points.
you see in this threat that like the half of the community dont want to move away or dont want to move to QNet.
so if we move now we will move again and again.
paintball is not that small because we are on ggc you also could advertise the game in messengers or on homepages.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 07:29:20 AM »
My basic argument in this thread is that we should move to a larger server in order to help the game grow. I've been idling on Quakenet for quite a while and so i put that forward as a viable option. I think most of the people in this community who want the game to grow, rather than keep it for themselves, are in agreement that a larger server would be best for us.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 07:45:02 AM »
Growing ftw.

frozi

• PGP
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »
there are some problems in finding a large network + the great support we know from ggc.
i checked gamesurge for this and there are also no clan commands and nothing but gamesurge is using
mostly the same commands as ggc uses. and there is a userbase with 25000 registerd users an admin told me.
its better then quakenet but isnt supporting as good as ggc !