Author Topic: Community Texture Pack (56k Warning)  (Read 78603 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Community Texture & Model Pack (56K =()
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2007, 11:42:16 PM »
The only thing I can see wrong with that is that it looks too smooth, I guess. Looks fake. >_<

I'll agree with ya there.
The problem lies in trying to balance a pseudo-3d look with a realistic look. 

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2007, 12:00:38 AM »
they look paper thin...i could bend those bars with my fingers

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2007, 12:10:19 AM »
they look paper thin...i could bend those bars with my fingers

?
They're just a texture....  they have no depth at all...

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
have my babies?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2007, 08:07:44 AM »
that fence is awesome
I have a bunch of textures to add if you want them...or did I already offer them?

http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/textures/

in the base folder are a bunch of large JPGs and some directories.

In the base directory are the unmodified source JPG files.
In the subdirectories are processed JPGs as follows.

wal

I believe they are self explanatory.
The only confusion may be in what two sized I chose to use for the corresponding WAL file (normal & h4r).

Most of these textures are being, or going to be, used for my Karkand map. So they are mostly Karkandish looking.

I have a nice set of replacement barrel textures also. They might require some tweaking.

here's some old SShots with some of the textures:
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot026.jpg
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot028.jpg
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot030.jpg
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot031.jpg
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot033.jpg
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot036.jpg
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/sshot039.jpg

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2007, 08:57:55 AM »
S8NSSON:  I noticed some of these textures are watermarked with www.mayang.com/textures/, did you take any of these pictures?  If not it's fine because we can probably produce most of them ourselves.  If we used these we couldn't release the pack under the GPL, which would also mean it would definitely never be bundled with Paintball2.  Thanks for the help though :) :) :D

So far, everything has been made from pictures taken by Nitroboy, ViciouZ, and myself.   On a side note, if you have a digital camera and know of some cool textures are your place, take some snapshots for me :)

Also, I read earlier that you release all your .map files, and I was wondering if I get a hold of one just to replace the textures with the ones that we've made for the community texture pack, as sort of a demo.  Is that possible?

Cheers and thanks,
y00tz

*edit - maybe we could use some of these and make our own from them, I'll check.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2007, 09:32:16 AM »
A lot of the images were obtained from mayang.
Personally, I don't care about this license crap, and I have no care about including anything with DP officially.

If you are operating under the assumption these textures are going to be placed in the game you may end up being frustrated at best. Jitspoe is very particular on what he will include in the game.

My advice is to make the texture pack without any association with DP. Anyone and everyone can use them to create maps and play maps without concern.

It's a free game under GPL. It's not bringing in revenue. I believe my obtained textures (some bought, some obtained legally free, none stolen) are perfectly fine to use in the game, although they may not legally be placed under a GPL license, that I know of.

From Mayang:
Q) What can I use the textures for?

A)You can use the textures in your school projects, to make CD sleeves, posters, in movies, in videogames etc - anything where you have added your own artistic effort.

You cannot use the textures for anything that directly competes with us.  This includes, putting the textures on your own website, selling them, or giving them away.  This restriction includes the textures themselves, as well as any minor modifications, for example, you may not make our texture seamless or tileable and then sell them.

Doesn't matter to me. Do what you will.
I will use them whether anyone likes it or not.
Or until the texture police come knocking at my door...oh nooooooes!

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2007, 09:38:33 AM »
LOLZ!

I like your textures, they are really nice.

Crap, I have to get to school now. I'm going to bring my camera and get some textures there. I host them when I get them on my computer.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2007, 09:55:25 AM »
A lot of the images were obtained from mayang.
Personally, I don't care about this license crap, and I have no care about including anything with DP officially.

If you are operating under the assumption these textures are going to be placed in the game you may end up being frustrated at best. Jitspoe is very particular on what he will include in the game.

My advice is to make the texture pack without any association with DP. Anyone and everyone can use them to create maps and play maps without concern.

It's a free game under GPL. It's not bringing in revenue. I believe my obtained textures (some bought, some obtained legally free, none stolen) are perfectly fine to use in the game, although they may not legally be placed under a GPL license, that I know of.

From Mayang:

A)You can use the textures in your school projects, to make CD sleeves, posters, in movies, in videogames etc - anything where you have added your own artistic effort.

You cannot use the textures for anything that directly competes with us.  This includes, putting the textures on your own website, selling them, or giving them away.  This restriction includes the textures themselves, as well as any minor modifications, for example, you may not make our texture seamless or tileable and then sell them.

Doesn't matter to me. Do what you will.
I will use them whether anyone likes it or not.
Or until the texture police come knocking at my door...oh nooooooes!

No argument here :)
I realize that these have probably a 10% chance of making it into the game.  What I'm more interested in is having them hosted here so that more players have them.  If we don't stick with the GPL we have a 0% chance of getting them in game.  Also, if we can use the GPL, then other open-source projects can benefit from the project as well.

From that quote:

Giving them away is entirely what the plan is here.

I'm not trying to be a punk or a GPL fanboy, I'm just thinking that so far we have done great on our own, maybe we can finish it. 

Thanks a lot S8NSSON for helping and putting such effort in to this :) :D 

Also, do you mind posting one of your .maps?  Something like AirTime, that everyone is familiar with?

And I think you're completely allowed to use the texture in a map, because the textures are a supplement, and you're not just giving them away

Thanks so much,
y00tz

p.s. I can't wait for Karkand :D

LOLZ!

I like your textures, they are really nice.

Crap, I have to get to school now. I'm going to bring my camera and get some textures there. I host them when I get them on my computer.

Cool, thanks for more pictures.  Did you notice your bricks under the fence in those screenies?

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
If we don't stick with the GPL we have a 0% chance of getting them in game.

That's not entirely true. You can create a map with any textures you like, including company logos or whatever, and have them included with your map. Maybe Jitspoe's "official" servers may block them, but they would definitely be able to be placed on other servers.

Abiding by the GPL would indeed allow you to "give" the textures away to anyone under the sun. I don't much care about these other goons in other GPL mods anyways. I make maps for DP. That's all I care about. These other mods can get their own, or use the ones I have, I could care less.

I think I'll make a corporations of America map that is 100% illegal textures just because I can. That's what I think about GPL & this copyright crap in this "free" game.

Here's a bunch of my maps (every map I still have, that I have done). They are all GPL approved (except Karkand with the non-GPL textures in it).
Check out blackhawk.map...pretty cool helo! Planned to be the extraction base for my reverse siege mode Karkand idea.
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/mapfiles/
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/mapfiles/home/

There may be a map or two in there that isn't mine.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »
Wow, I gave Blitz a whole new look and feel. :)  Is Blitzkrieg on these forums anymore? I'd love to have him play CTP_Blitz and approve it for release.

Anyways, here's your pic of the day, or hour is it? Whatever.  It's a sign in the revamped/CTP_Blitz which I don't have permission to even start :P  Much less release.

it reads:
Todo
-change light
-sod grass
-pwn y00tz

:P

Cheers

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
Todo
-change light
-sod grass
-pwn y00tz
LOL :D I'll make a map just using the community textures as soon as I get my other computer working again.
Edit: Nice fence work but maybe get them a bit thicker.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »
I can't make the fence thicker... it's just a texture with an alpha channel.  What I need is for someone to model it.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
Oh well it's still better than nothing.
Edit: For the Community texture map I'll PM you to post the link that way I can get most updated when I start after my computer gets back up and running.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2007, 02:23:18 PM »
Exactly.  By the way, I have something that might look good for your maze ground, it's a cracked dirt texture.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Oh very good it would really help especially since KiLo still hasn't got me that vines on rock wall texture yet ::)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »
Good work, y00tz.  A couple things you need to keep in mind are tiling and scale.  In that grass texture, for example, there is a single leaf (or similar light-colored object) in the texture and you can see it repeating multiple times.  The clone tool is really handy for fixing things like that.  I find for grass, a small brush with a hard edge works best.

As for scale, that picture you posted with trracer... the leaves look big compared to the trracer, which is already way oversized, so you're going to end up with leaves that are like 2-3 feet wide.  1 foot =~ 9.3 units.  With HR4 textures, that's about 37 pixels.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2007, 05:35:55 PM »

I'm usually self-conscious about repeating anomalies, but as I play ArmA, a very well-done, professional game.  I notice more and more the anomalies, but as I play, and run, I never see them.  Only when I'm spectating or sniping. 

Also, the ground with the leaves was tough to even get them that small.  I subdivided them 4 times! :)  I think I'll just go take a picture with smaller leaves. 

* this post presented by: ViciouZ's garage door

eww jpeg compression killed the door :/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 07:14:16 PM by y00tz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »
Nice.  If I had to guess, though, I'd say that garage is about 20 feet tall in-game. :D

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »
Nice.  If I had to guess, though, I'd say that garage is about 30 feet tall in-game. :D

Yeah I always forget how small the player models are when I map..  I should really test these with players :P

* - eek!