Author Topic: New Map: Chambord2  (Read 7442 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New Map: Chambord2
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 05:46:13 PM »
Why is the map called Chambord2 when Chambord was never finished?  Just because the first map was scrapped doesn't mean the name had to be, too.  Just seems kind of strange, but your call.

The brushwork seems really haphazard, though it looks like beta2 cleaned that up a lot.  I'd look into using clipping planes for the rocks.  You can create pretty decent stuff with minimal effort that way.

There are some areas where you can see through the sky to other parts of the map, which looks bad.  Need to do something about that.

The spiral staircase really needs to be re-done.  There are a bunch of floating boards and it just looks sloppy.  BSP has a function to create spiral staircases, so this should be trivial to fix.

(First screenshot) With the changes in beta 2, the r_speeds shot through the roof.  At its current state, the map will be unplayable on many computers.  (2nd shot) Even under the base where there's not much of anything visible, the r_speeds are pretty high.  I'd suggest doing away with the reflective water there.  Perhaps bring the water level all the way up to the ceiling so that the water surface isn't visible, or find a way to block that area off from the outside so it's not trying to render reflections of the whole map.

(3rd screenshot)  Something weird is going on inside the base.  I'm not sure if you just used a whole bunch of little brushes somewhere or what, but it's split to hell.  This is part of what's hurting your r_speeds.

The rungs of the ladders need to be made less thick, and the texture needs to be rotated to go along the length of them.  Wouldn't hurt to make the sides of the ladders less thick, too.

I don't really like the wood with haphazard nails textures, especially covering a large surface area since it doesn't tile well.  I'd suggest using something different.

There's not anything supporting the upper floors -- just a thin layer of bricks jutting out from a wall.  There's no way a structure like this could stay upright.  It needs some arch supports or something to help the believability.

I've put the map up in rotation on the beta server for testing.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 06:34:23 PM »
There's a mis-aligned brush in the circular structure that contains the spiral stair case.  If you have trouble finding it I can provide a screenshot.. it's 1 pixel.

Quote from: jitspoe
There are some areas where you can see through the sky to other parts of the map, which looks bad.  Need to do something about that.
  If you're having trouble finding these areas, get on a wall, or a castle side and they stick out. 

The cellar has box-lights.  Need I say more? :P  I feel so claustrophobic in the cellar, that I'll probably never go in there in-game.

It's a fun map, and overall I think it's a good siege map (is that saying much? I kid I kid), I can't wait for the next map. 

Oh and about the name, Chambord2, Jitspoe is correct, so maybe you should finish Chambord someday, and make it really good?

Cheers,
y00tz

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »
I think it's done on purpose (at least on the first shot).

Once the offensive team is in the tower, they should be able to shoot into the base, without being hit easily.
For the second shot, it's vice versa, the defensive team is able to kill the offensive in the tower.

Just my thought...
Ok we'll just wait and see what Viciouz says I just thought it was a bit odd thats all.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »
I know why there is high wpoly now, so I'll try and fix that.
Jitspoe, that IS the BSP spiral staircase tool...

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
Took you long enough to reply :P

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »
Yeah, got annoyed at BSP, my keyboard and coffee in general when a combination of the three turned every brush in beta3 into a func_wall entity.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
Yeah, got annoyed at BSP, my keyboard and coffee in general when a combination of the three turned every brush in beta3 into a func_wall entity.
Lol :P maybe you shouldn't drink coffee at the computer.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
In case you didn't know, there's a "revert to world" option.

Jitspoe, that IS the BSP spiral staircase tool...
Hm, in that case, do this: make a cylinder with the outside radius matching the inside radius of the tower, and the inside radius matching radius of the center pole.  Make it like 8 or 16 units tall, and only 1 segment.  Now you have essentially a flattened ring of stairs.  Elevate each one above the other all the way around, then just copy the whole thing and paste as many times as you need to get to the top.  I think this is the method I used for the towers in siegecastle.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »
Well, I deleted the old beta3. Here is the new beta3. Basically all I did was redo the stairway as jitspoe suggested. The wpoly is up on b1 but down from b2. I think adding the basement somehow added a lot on. I also think I need to redo the basement section. Anyway, here's the new beta3.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 09:20:37 PM »
Look good. I like the spiral stairs much better now. I Just found two small issues in the map. First pic, not sure if you can see it too good, but you used two different water textures here (one reflects, the other doesn't). Second pic, you might want to rotate those textures.

Also, for that little triangle in the water in front of the castle, that looks... odd. Try putting a rock there or something similar.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »
I made a demo of things that need revising.  The map is also in rotation on the beta server.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
So how am I meant to stop stuff showing through the cliffs?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 02:31:08 PM »
So how am I meant to stop stuff showing through the cliffs?

Maybe raise them?  It makes sense to me, but maybe it won't work.  IDK.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »
Or make the walls thicker, and move the sky further out to the side.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »
I love you map man.  Played it on the Beta server and was amazed.  Good work man.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 12:27:08 PM »
I need to finish this :-/

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »
Do it man, its a very simple yet fun map.  I enjoyed it on the Beta server.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 08:32:30 AM »
Server owners please remove this map if it's on your servers as I finally found a good floor plan and I'm going to have a third attemp at getting it done. Prepare the r_speedometer as this is going to be pretty big :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
Server owners please remove this map if it's on your servers
Heh, I should probably just clear the beta server rotation considering there are still maps like this on there that haven't been touched since 2007.  I've removed it now.  I'll go ahead and post some feedback in case you  still plan to work on it:
- Sometimes a defending player spawns with the offense.  Forget to set the teamnumber on one of the spawns?
- It's really annoying if you fall off into the water and get pushed back under the base and can't do anything in time to stop somebody from grabbing the flag.
- Walls need a lot of work, both to look more natural, and get rid of the black areas (glitched lighting?).
- Need to put some clip brushes around the ladders so you don't end up climbing up where you can hit your head on the ceiling/next floor.