Open, outdoor, bright - Ex. UB_Cliff
11 (21.2%)
Closed, indoor, dark - Like this http://www.alientrap.org/media/zymshot1.jpg
14 (26.9%)
Indoor/Outdoor, varying - Probably like Renoir or something
27 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: June 19, 2007, 06:27:40 PM

Author Topic: What type of map style do you prefer?  (Read 7066 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: What type of map style do you prefer?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 04:39:44 PM »
I tend to prefer maps that have multiple small paths with lots of ways to strategically position yourself and outsmart your enemy (routez, for example), as opposed to large, open outdoor areas that rely on strafe jumping speed and longballing (such as brainstorm).

From your post, though, that's not really the question you're asking.  It seems you're interested in a particular theme of map so you can put a texture pack together.  In all honesty, I think this is the wrong approach.  That's basically how Paintball2 as we know it came about -- collected a bunch of textures and just started randomly slapping them on things to make maps.

The way texturing needs to be done is to have a final theme in mind and create both the map and the textures together to fit that theme.  Take a look at any modern game and you'll see what I mean.  That's what we need to aim for.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
I tend to prefer maps that have multiple small paths with lots of ways to strategically position yourself and outsmart your enemy (routez, for example), as opposed to large, open outdoor areas that rely on strafe jumping speed and longballing (such as brainstorm).

Why did you make brainstorm then Jits?
I prefer dark outdoor example night factor also castle 1 and also mixed such as renoir.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:21:58 PM by Apocalypse »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 09:25:25 PM »
I do prefer multiple path maps, but sometimes the 2nd or 3rd path just feels forced.  I wish I had a good example, or even a bad one :P but sometimes it feels like the mapper just wanted to add a second path so they cop out and just made something random and ridiculous.

This game lives on barrels and crates and I know it's a paintball game and that's a big part of it, I just want people to think outside of the box (or crate, rather :P) and maybe get mappers to make what people like, with some textures that could support it.

I guess the question would be asked better as  'What theme do you like?' but I still think when you look beyond paths, you notice that gameplay varies by map.

Indoor maps don't typically allow for a lot of "strafe jumping speed and longballing" as Jitspoe put it, and I tend to prefer that (the hiding aspect).  Maybe if we had more outdoor textures (I can't think of anything specific, and if you have an idea, please hop on over to the Community Texture Package thread in the Mapping board and post it) then we could have less strafe jumping and longballing in those maps.  Obviously jumping and lines are a big part of the game, and hence large outdoor maps exist... Not a bad thing. 

You know, the unique part about having a one hit elimination system, is that people can't react and win a firefight when they're shot, and that may be the reason that people prefer outdoor theatre, again, I don't know, I'm just out to find out what you guys think.

Jitspoe:

The way texturing needs to be done is to have a final theme in mind and create both the map and the textures together to fit that theme.

That's how the texture pack came to be... I made custom textures that looked better in Terminal than what was available.  I sat down, picked the theme for Terminal, drew some concept, then made the map & textures simultaneously.

Right now, Atmays needs a texture or model for a jail... I created the texture, and it's going to go in the pack. But after that I begin to think...
Maybe he needs cement bricks, like in a jail?  So then I begin working on it.  If I know what kind of maps people like, then I'll know what textures to develop for and what maps to develop.

I'm not saying that you aren't right, I'm saying I just want to make maps better, and doing a little bit of polling first was the only intention here.

Thanks for the feedback.

Apocalypse:

I never really look at Castle1 as an outdoor map, it feels so closed in... 

Cheers and thanks for all the feedback,
y00tz

*Editted for a y00tzism
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 12:03:03 PM by y00tz »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
I do prefer multiple path maps, but sometimes the 2nd or 3rd path just feels forced.  I wish I had a good example, or even a bad one :P but sometimes it feels like the mapper just wanted to add a second path so they cop out and just made something random and ridiculous.

I hate to say, the secondary path it jit's pbcup map feels really out of place. >_>

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
I wish I had a good example
docks2

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
*memory flood*
Heh, that map is never played anymore, but it's a good example.

soldier

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 05:19:35 PM »
Both varrying and outdoor and bright are good, but I didn't know which to pick, and most of my favourite maps are outdoor and bright, so I picked that one. One of the few completely indoor maps I like is pb2dm1. Mainly I like the ones that are battlefield like (like battlefield and battlefield2 obviously). I don't know why, they just rock !

twistdid

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »
= Well this is the first game that i ever really played online where the object was shooting the other team. So in that i learned that strafing was fun. I mean who doesn't like to go fast. I had never played a game where you would sit and shoot. [ex. Socom,Counter Strike, or Unreal tournament]. So when I got into playing this game I didn't really think of strategy like all these kids coming from games where strategy was a big deal.

= So with that said I am partial to maps like shazz33, ProPaint, Airtime, ect. The only part I don't like about those maps is that people will sit where people run and try to camp them. I think Kriss Kross aka Jump is a good map. Can't just spray where everyone comes out at as easily. I think more maps should be made like that. Thanks

- Twistdid -

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 10:25:28 PM »
Haha you chose bad examples for sitting and shooting, but I got ya.

soldier

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
Partial is alright, but I think the main problem is that too many of them are just bad maps, not so much because of the style, but beace the bad maps just happen to mostly be varrying. However, if done correctly, varrying maps can be awesome !

DaVo

• Stingray
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 08:47:30 AM »
best map is and best map will be only shock xD

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »
No there are way better maps then shock.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2007, 05:43:50 AM »
I think (hope) he was kidding

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2007, 10:28:27 AM »
I think (hope) he was kidding

Read his other posts: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=2378;sa=showPosts

And you will see he is not.  :P

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »
:P lol y00tz. (notice the bad grammer)

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »
Anything original.
Something new and fresh, never done before, fancy, awe inspiring.

what he said

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »
Try making "nitefactor" to "dayfactor" if know what I mean. Multiple paths but brighter.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2007, 09:24:35 AM »
There already is a version like this it is called speedfactor I believe.

EDIT: Yep that is the name. And I attached the map.

EDIT2: Noticed lots of misaligned brushes.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2007, 09:36:48 AM »
Speedfactor was the original map, nitefactor was made after speedfactor, thus the misaligned brushes in speedfactor.

Moe_Lester

• Stingray
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2007, 10:15:13 AM »
I like open maps with variety of paths to get the flag if not its turns to be one giant campfest.