Author Topic: Community Texture Pack (Discussion)  (Read 11406 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Community Texture Pack (Discussion)
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 09:49:52 PM »
Anyway, what's the point of releasing the same textures twice? >_>

There isn't one, why would anyone do that?

the ctp2 = ctp1 ADDON.

there will be a ctp2 folder, with only ctp2 textures, that goes right next to your ctp1 folder with all the ctp1 textures.

Anyone who has the ctp2 could play all ctp1 textures IF they have ctp1, which wil be bundled with ctp2 for those who don't have it.

The ctp*_ prefix is there for 2 very good reason.
1.  Mappers can re-release existing maps with each new ctp if they'd like, without ever risking over-writing previous maps.
2.  Players will know immediately before they even join a game, whether or not the map needs the ctp, and if so, what version.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2007, 10:14:52 PM »
1.  Mappers can re-release existing maps with each new ctp if they'd like, without ever risking over-writing previous maps.
2.  Players will know immediately before they even join a game, whether or not the map needs the ctp, and if so, what version.
1. Come on, how many times have you seen someone re-release a map to change the textures? Only way that would happen is if its in a beta state, and in that case, the maker would just change the textures for the next beta release.
2. When a person joins a server that needs ctp, it will either download them from the server, or tell them that he doesnt have them and he will see the map with no textures. Eventually, he'll find out about the ctp.

And what would happen if a map uses both 1 and 2?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »
Whatever man, you have your techniques, I have mine.  Mine are perfectly valid, so just leave them be.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
:-\ I'm just trying to help...
I mean, I like your idea about having a system to let people know that the map uses ctp* but I guess I wouldnt like to see a lot of maps have a ctp prefix on the map list, or having to figure out the name of the name whenever I wanted to play it through the console.

\o \o  \o  \o  \o
  \o  \o  \o  \o
\o  \o  \o  \o
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:16:09 AM by Cobo »

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
You could just put the ctp as a suffix. Using y00tz'a example something like this: ponies_ctp1.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »
The thing is, your techniques will affect a pretty good number of maps. Anyway, you're going to have to take into consideration that a good number of mappers (maybe all of them) won't want to dirty up their map names with the ctp.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 10:27:35 PM »
You could just put the ctp as a suffix. Using y00tz'a example something like this: ponies_ctp1.
It thought about that, but I'm stubborn like that :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 10:38:02 PM »
The thing is, your techniques will affect a pretty good number of maps. Anyway, you're going to have to take into consideration that a good number of mappers (maybe all of them) won't want to dirty up their map names with the ctp.

Too be perfectly frank, in this game it won't be up to the mappers either way.  If there's admins who don't want the ctp1_ muck, they'll take it off, and there's good admins who'll add it to maps that need the prefix.  Too be honest, the ctp1_ prefix is a safety next, but in reality if the name is changed, then people will see that ctp1/lol.jpg is missing..

A person could use a suffix too, it doesn't matter.  I AM trying to standardize it NOW so that we don't have to worry about this later.

Just to let everyone know before more criticism comes my way...

The plan for 1.0 is to use an installer so all the installation problem will be fixed. And 2.0 will include an installer that will check for /ctp1/ and if it's not found, it will copy it.  I wonder if there's a way with NSIS to check to see if the files have been modified and to change them back if they have...

For 2.0, think of it as 'a stand-alone expansion-pack' in a sense.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 10:42:36 PM »
I wonder if there's a way with NSIS to check to see if the files have been modified and to change them back if they have...

Not sure if NSIS can do md5 checks, but that would probably be the way to do that. It would be a tedious task to get the md5 of every file and add it to the script tho.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 10:43:52 PM »
Quote from: Cobo
It would be a tedious task to get the md5 of every file and add it to the script tho.

It would.  It's no big deal.  Besides, in reality, a number of tweaks will be made to ctp1 over time, that ctp2 should just install ctp1 AND ctp2.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »
It's probably a bad idea to tweak textures once you've released them, especially if it's something people would align stuff with. Also, it's poor form.

Too be perfectly frank, in this game it won't be up to the mappers either way.  If there's admins who don't want the ctp1_ muck, they'll take it off, and there's good admins who'll add it to maps that need the prefix.  Too be honest, the ctp1_ prefix is a safety next, but in reality if the name is changed, then people will see that ctp1/lol.jpg is missing..

A person could use a suffix too, it doesn't matter.  I AM trying to standardize it NOW so that we don't have to worry about this later.

Just to let everyone know before more criticism comes my way...

The plan for 1.0 is to use an installer so all the installation problem will be fixed. And 2.0 will include an installer that will check for /ctp1/ and if it's not found, it will copy it.  I wonder if there's a way with NSIS to check to see if the files have been modified and to change them back if they have...

For 2.0, think of it as 'a stand-alone expansion-pack' in a sense.
Modifying map names is a really bad idea. I don't think any good admin would do that.
Also, the 'standardization' you're striving for kinda assumes that only your texture pack will ever exist. I certainly wouldn't want a map name like ctp4_hr4_omgwtf_mapname, if/when mapping/texture packs pick up.
And as I've said before, there's no real reason for the prefix. If they're missing the textures, they'll download them. Maybe they'll even look on the forums to see if anything has happened that would cause them to lose so many textures. Then, they'd probably see it, and download it.

Also, I don't want ctp in mah map names. :|

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 11:45:17 PM »
It's probably a bad idea to tweak textures once you've released them, especially if it's something people would align stuff with. Also, it's poor form.

Too bad.  If I can scale grass textures better, or clean up a repeating anomaly, I'll do it.

Also, I don't want ctp in mah map names. :|

Cool.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2007, 11:56:09 PM »
Grass is okay. I don't think much could be aligned to grass. But, some of the more orderly metals or any of the brick textures shouldn't be majorly changed.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2007, 12:00:37 AM »
Grass is okay. I don't think much could be aligned to grass. But, some of the more orderly metals or any of the brick textures shouldn't be majorly changed.
Umm, yeah I realize this....

And really, I find it quite funny, before I released this, I had a discussion thread for the release planning, that way people like Cobo and Eiii would post there about how bad my system is, before I released it.  Yet, Eiii chose only to make one pointless, off-topic, 2-digit post.  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=6746.msg74904#msg74904.

If you guys had actually cared about this project at all, you would have offered to help, submitted images, or at the very least, supplied constructive criticism during the planning part.  Only now do you feel the need to criticize. 

Thanks

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2007, 12:05:38 AM »
I did make a constructive post in there to help your 'bad system.'

I stopped reading after the seventh post or so tho, was the naming of maps ever discussed there?

I'm not against you, y00tz.
You seem to think that we are just trying to be against everything you say.

EDIT:
Yep, map naming is there.
Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:17:10 AM by Cobo »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2007, 12:07:06 AM »
Y00tz, i would have taken pictures of some turazno tiles and dirty tiles and bricks, but i don't have a camera. I tried to provide criticism, but what can one man do while sitting on his ass watching other people work their asses off to help this community?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2007, 12:09:20 AM »
Umm, exactly what you did?  Suggest stuff, etc.  I listed you in the credits because you helped, and really, you probably have no idea how much, but you did.  I saw your request for a fence, and it made me start thinking in a whole different direction... it's not just simple textures were talking about... now it's about building a world.  Simple stuff like the suggestions and ideas that were thrown around, is what's going to make this pack strive to be more than it is now.

EDIT:
Yep, map naming is there.
Sorry.

And nobody was against it THEN.  See my position?

I'm really glad I made this pre-release.

Anyway guys, anything that doesn't directly apply to the announcement of this release, please post in the discussion thread (as I posted in the first post)  And I'll move these posts over there tomorrow, in the mean time, good night.

Cobo

• Autococker

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2007, 12:27:24 AM »
I see a problem right when i open the link

Champter 1: MP3s

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2007, 12:28:15 AM »