Author Topic: Community Texture Pack (Discussion)  (Read 11407 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Community Texture Pack (Discussion)
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2007, 12:31:04 AM »
Haha, good stuff :D

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2007, 12:40:50 AM »
intercourse that!!! If I named my files like that says I would go crazy.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2007, 01:06:02 AM »
Yet, Eiii chose only to make one pointless, off-topic, 2-digit post.  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=6746.msg74904#msg74904.

THE SCANDAL IS UNCOVERED. I AM DEFEATED, GOOD SIR.

Oh, wait. Before I posted, that thread has exactly nothing to do with what I'm debating with you here. Let's review:
My points:
  • Changing textures after you've released them could mess up maps and stuff. We've already resolved this.
  • Adding the ctp1 prefix/suffix is just a bad idea. A lot of people won't do it or won't know to do it, so we'll have a handful of maps that to have the ctp and a ton that don't. That'll only cause confusion.
    SITUATION TWO:
    I don't want one hundred maps in my directory with ctp in the front. That'd make it pretty hard to find a specific map, yes? Yes.

The points of discussion that I replied (haha) to:
  • How to name the textures.
  • Uhh... new textures

You cannot say I didn't oppose your proposal when I had never even seen it.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2007, 01:16:08 AM »
My proposal? If by that you mean, the prefix stuff?  That has been in front of you for weeks now.  All you ever had to do was click "Show new replies to your posts." .. read the post, think, comment.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:39 AM »
I'm not sure how I missed that. I was, at one point not too long ago, gone for a couple days. Might have been then. Sorry for not catching up, but it's not as if with that post huge plans that took months to plan were put into motion. You're talking about recommending a prefix. I don't think it cause anything but confusion.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:18 AM »
All you ever had to do was click "Show new replies to your posts." .. read the post, think, comment.
That's all I do ever do lol :)  by the way why are all you guys against modifying the textures after releasing them he can just call them something else and then tadah your done!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »
For all the pub newbies, ctp_ could mean Crucify The Penguins. Like a game mode, in stuff like CS:S

*ViciouZ goes to vote for that game mode.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
That's all I do ever do lol :)  by the way why are all you guys against modifying the textures after releasing them he can just call them something else and then tadah your done!

And have 100 textures that are the same but with little tweaks?
Only way I think that could happen is that they make a high res version.
They simply shouldnt be modified, they are supposed to be done

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »
Nothing is ever "done", really.  Things can always stand to be tweaked and improved.  I don't see why it would be a big deal if a blurry/unrealistic/poorly tiling texture was polished up a bit more to be cleaner/shaper/better looking.  It's not like he's going to be replacing the old textures with something completely different.

I don't think the map names fall under the category of the texture pack.  Those are up to the mapper.  The ctp1_ prefix might be good for "tech demo" maps showing off the textures, but for the average user/admin loading a map, that's just 5 more characters to type.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31:08 PM »
I was thinking Jits, will the next release be a major re-write to the GLS problem (the 20 second logins)?  If so, that puts the faster in-game downloading back a build or two...  which is perfect, because I'll be glad to opt out of the prefix if the user can download the textures instantly via fast downloads, rather than realize they need a texture pack - exit game - and run to the downloads section.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2007, 01:05:15 AM »
I might be able to resolve the login issues with a quick hack to cache the reverse DNS names in the database.  In any case, it will be a global login server side fix and not require any new game releases.

As for the prefix, I don't think most people will even know what "ctp" means, let alone know that they need to go somewhere else to download the files.  In fact, a lot of people probably just stare at the "Loading" screen and aren't aware that files are even being downloaded.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2007, 01:23:42 AM »
Exactly.. :(
But faster downloading will apply to all files, not just maps right?  At any rate, users who don't have the ctp, should be able to get it quickly with the faster in-game downloads..

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2007, 06:21:46 PM »
Correct.