Author Topic: Community Texture Pack (Discussion)  (Read 11412 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Community Texture Pack (Discussion)
« on: June 02, 2007, 02:14:04 PM »
The other thread is simply for releasing material, and this is where all the discussion will be.

I'm looking for input on the community texture pack.  If you'd like, feel free to tell me what you think about the things on the list.  (Post as often as you want, it's Other Stuff & I'll update the list a lot)

1.  Nomenclature
2.  What kind of textures would you like, and conversely, what do dislike?
3.  Is there any textures you NEED?

For the nomenclature I was thinking about this:

MATERIAL_COLOR_SPECIFIC.

So..
metal_red_rusted
wood_blue_planks
light_yellow_fluorescent

I'm still undecided..

Thanks for the feedback,
y00tz

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 12:08:25 AM by y00tz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Community Texture Pack (Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
Currently the first letter of the color is used, followed by the texture type: r_metal, r_wood, etc. so that textures for a particular team are grouped together.  Don't know that it really makes much of a difference, though.  You will want to avoid long texture names if possible, as there are a lot of limitations.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
You will want to avoid long texture names if possible, as there are a lot of limitations.
Thanks, noted.

I considered using the current naming system, but for duplicates, I'd have to increment, so if you had r_metal, and I made r_metal2, there could be a chance that in the future you'll create another red metal, and it would replace mine, or mine would replace it.

I may do  ctp_FIRST LETTER OF COLOR_MATERIAL_INCREMENT.. which is the current one, with CTP in front.

*edit wow you were 20 seconds away from replying to my post exactly 48 hours later.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:25:34 PM »
23 seconds.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:27:48 PM »
Don't put the textures in "pball" and you'll be OK.  You could have something like textures/ctp/r_metal1 and it wouldn't conflict with textures/pball/r_metal1.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »
How about having the same types of textures(ie MATERIAL_SPECIFIC), but different colors in pak files?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 07:16:03 PM »
I think I like it.

When we get closer to packaging and renaming, I'll PM you Cobo.

This is a dumb question, but in BSP my textures are all black and white.  I assume I have to load a pallete in Wally, but I don't know.  How can I fix that? 

Found it in 'creating custom textures' 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:23:26 PM by y00tz »

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 05:00:32 AM »
If you wanted, I can give you some webspace for them to be uploaded, and have a .zip/.tarball created so you don't have to repackage it every day.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »
If you wanted, I can give you some webspace for them to be uploaded, and have a .zip/.tarball created so you don't have to repackage it every day.

Thanks, I'll PM you when we get closer to the release.

Here is my current plan for the CTP.
I plan on releasing CTP 0.8 very soon.  This is a pre-release of CTP 1.0, and CTP 1.0 will be backwards compatible with CTP 0.8.
CTP 1.0 is basically going to be resizing, bugs, and a few more textures.

My plan for CTP 0.8 is to simultaneously release:
-4-5 new maps I have created. (Mostly DM, TDM, and CTF)
-4-5 existing maps with the textures replaced with the new CTP textures (assuming I get permission in time)
-The CTP end-user files.
-The CTP 0.8 MDK (will work with CTP 1.0)

Once the bugs (repeating anomalies, seams, etc.) are worked out, I'll add a few more textures to the package and release the CTP 1.0 package, along with the CTP 1.0 MDK.

Here is my plan for naming maps.
Maps using the CTP 0.8 or 1.0 will have ctp1_ in front of the map name.
(e.g. ctp1_newmap.bsp)

Pros:
+ Players will know what CTP they need in the likely event we release an update
+ Existing maps ported to the CTP textures merely need to add ctp1_(filename) and will not overwrite the previous copy
+ People can easily identify CTP maps before they download them.

Cons:
- If some mappers do not conform, it will be very confusing.

thoughts?

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »
Well first off you'll have one map made just using CTP textures by the end of the coming week as long as my computer gets back up soon. 2nd I like the basic layout you've got down. 3rd please PM the link of those textures and even if my computer isn't back up I'll do it on this computer.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 10:41:28 PM »
Sounds good so far. Just one thing, what does MDK stand for? I don't feel like Googling it right now. :P

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
Map development kit? I dont know :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 11:22:22 PM »

You got it.

Apocalypse, I'll give you the files the same time as everyone else so that you can get your map included with the 1.0 release.  :D

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 06:29:51 AM »
Alright thanks y00tz how long till it comes out since I've now seen this
Once its 56k I think Termin8or.

Haha, the 56k thing is a warning to the guys with dial-up.  I used to have a 14.4 yeaaaaaars ago and I feel for those guys.
I'll probably put a release out soon, but I got a new job which means less time working on them, but the amount of beautiful textures I have available for me (it's at a hospital) are endless.

Here's a quicky from my cliff work as of late.

*edit - not my rock/ground texture, I got it from this site somewhere - and it's not going in the CTP.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 09:09:29 AM »

Oh. Thanks.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
Don't know if this was asked before, or if it's even possible to be answered.  When will the CTP be released, and what will be included?  Is it just like brand new custom textures, or high-res versions of "old" textures as well?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
Don't know if this was asked before, or if it's even possible to be answered.  When will the CTP be released, and what will be included?  Is it just like brand new custom textures, or high-res versions of "old" textures as well?

Good questions. 
The first release of the CTP is actually coming very soon.  Unfortunately I'm leaving to Costa Rica for 10 days with the girlfriend, but I'll try to have a release before then, and if not, expect one the first week I'm back.

For the contents... I'm packing together brand new textures to be used in game.  All of the textures are original and come from source images provided by users on this forum.  Out of respect, I won't be touching any of Jitspoe's textures, but some of mine are similar and may be considered a high-resolution port.  (e.g. bricks are pretty similar) 

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 10:56:20 AM »
So they are NEW, and users must replace their old ones with them to see them ingame, or what?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »
So they are NEW, and users must replace their old ones with them to see them ingame, or what?

No, these are a completely new pack that is used WITH the old ones.  It's just like, more textures.  It's to give mappers the ability to create things they couldn't before. 

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
But they won't be used with any old map, right?
You have to replace old textures to make maps (like castle1) look better...