Author Topic: y00tz's .plan (I kid :P)  (Read 11240 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
y00tz's .plan (I kid :P)
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »
After I wrap up the community texture package v1.0 I'd like to start some new stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas for 3rd-party GPL (created by me, vic, zorch, and a few others at best) content that they'd like to see in game?

I'd love to make additional skins and finish the vweps (Jit's wrote a guide for it somewhere that I have)  but be realistic here... that's probably considered cheating.

I'm not sure about the HUD though.. I did have an idea for it, but can we modify the HUD without getting banned?

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Re: y00tz's .plan
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:29:05 PM »
but can we modify the HUD without getting banned?

Pics, yes. (includes the scripts)
Code, no.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
Re: y00tz's .plan (I kid :P)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »
Hehe, Love the topic!! heh

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »
i got *puts pinky up to lips and gets wide eyed* one hundred billion textures

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »
I'd love to make additional skins and finish the vweps (Jit's wrote a guide for it somewhere that I have)  but be realistic here... that's probably considered cheating.
As long as you do the development and testing offline it's fine.  Using demos is great for this kind of testing.

I'm not sure about the HUD though.. I did have an idea for it, but can we modify the HUD without getting banned?
I was working on porting the scriptable hud code from Warsow into DP, but I was running into tons of problems scripting the default HUD and I could pretty discouraged.  Same thing as mentioned above, demos work well for offline testing.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »
As long as you do the development and testing offline it's fine.  Using demos is great for this kind of testing.

I was working on porting the scriptable hud code from Warsow into DP, but I was running into tons of problems scripting the default HUD and I could pretty discouraged.  Same thing as mentioned above, demos work well for offline testing.

Wow, thanks XtremeBain :D  I had no idea I could do that, and I appreciate you letting me know! :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:10:25 PM »
Unfortunately, the vwep tutorial no longer applies as the player models are now in the .skm format.  Fortunately, all it means is you have to place a bone tag in the proper location and the gun will automatically have the player animations.  Of course, the weapons either need to be re-done in or converted to skm models.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 09:14:51 PM »
Jitspoe forgive my ignorance, but a Google and Wikipedia search for SKM yields nothing useful...  I know of SKD but what's SKM (obviously a 3d format) and what do you use to open it?  Must be something new in 3DS.

-y00tz

edit - take your time in replying, My girlfriend and I are driving to Chicago in 10 minutes to pick up my passport at 9 am, then driving to Tulsa for our 10 day trip to Costa Rica...

Cheers :D :D

Later guys  :o

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 09:38:24 PM »
Jitspoe forgive my ignorance, but a Google and Wikipedia search for SKM yields nothing useful...  I know of SKD but what's SKM (obviously a 3d format) and what do you use to open it?  Must be something new in 3DS.

-y00tz

edit - take your time in replying, My girlfriend and I are driving to Chicago in 10 minutes to pick up my passport at 9 am, then driving to Tulsa for our 10 day trip to Costa Rica...

Cheers :D :D

Later guys  :o

Tulsa, Oklahoma?  If so you'll be 2 hours west of me! :)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 09:48:45 PM »
* KnacK locks and loads just to make sure he doesn't travel across the border.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 06:05:06 AM »
* KnacK locks and loads just to make sure he doesn't travel across the border.

Hah!  Free steak dinner at my house Knackerz.... Bring tha Mrs.!!

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 06:10:17 AM »

-y00tz

http://jal.quakedev.com/stuff/skelmod/Skeletal%20models%20doc.rtf

found with Google ;)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:39:44 PM »
I tried making scriptable HUD's once, they basicly loaded the same way menus did, and had the same syntax menus did. Altough I never got past printing data on the screen with text, having conditional pics(eg. if you have a smoke gren), and team specific pics.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »
I think I put an article in the wiki about how to convert them.  Maybe not.  You need the HL2 format models (SMD?), then you compile them with some special tools.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
I think I put an article in the wiki about how to convert them.  Maybe not.  You need the HL2 format models (SMD?), then you compile them with some special tools.

No success as of yet, I'll keep looking.

Quote from: PiCaSSo
Tulsa, Oklahoma?  If so you'll be 2 hours west of me! :)

Tulsa, OK is 2.5 hours west of me... Where do you live?

Edit1:
I noticed the sound-request list in the wiki.  I can get a lot of those, what's the best way to capture them?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
what's the best way to capture them?
With a microphone. :)

I just have a decent quality mic (I think it ran ~$100) hooked up to my laptop.  I typically record at 16 bit 48khz.  I'm not quite sure if this is the best thing to do, though.  Most people probably play at 44khz, so the sound quality may actually be worse downconverting it.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »
Ahhhh found what I wanted.  http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=819.0 

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 10:55:33 PM »
Looks like that link is dead.  I believe it's up somewhere on dplogin.com, just under a different path.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:33 PM »
Looks like that link is dead.  I believe it's up somewhere on dplogin.com, just under a different path.

Yeah, my bad, it's this: http://dplogin.com/files/mediasource/models/dpchar/export/Copy%20of%20smd_export.ms. I did go rummaging through dplogin.com/files/ ... are we cool? heh.

Edit:

On the topic of my trees:

If blender has an SMD exporter, you could create SKM models (what's used for the players).   I don't think those have a hard limit on vertices.   Still not a good idea to be using thousands of them, though, for a single tree.

I've made my first SKM file :D unfortunately it's unskinned, does the SMD include the skin file?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:12:27 AM by y00tz »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »
Bump (I edited the previous post..)

Jit:  Do you have any of the .3DS source files from the weapons?

Thanks,
y00tz

edit:  Grr, the SKM works fine in the viewer, but it irks the game

ERROR: Could not find pose file for models/CTP/test.skm
==== ShutdownGame ====

edit again:
http://svn.icculus.org/teu/trunk/source/ref_gl/r_skm.c?rev=2&view=auto
Is this code in the game?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:25:54 PM by y00tz »