Author Topic: picking an irc network  (Read 10882 times)

Smokey

• Autococker
Re: picking an irc network
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
I like the guys at gg-center, but I just don't see that network growing very quickly.  ETG seems kind of dead now, too.

Smokey: Why are those bigger networks "garbage"?
Quakenet: Netsplits are so bad there...and the services are lacking so badly..
Gamesurge: A bunch of 12 year old CS kiddies, more channel advertising goes on there than actual chatting.

But gamesurge > quakenet

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
But gamesurge > quakenet

GlobalGamers > ETG > Gamesurge > QNet

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
For reasons of chan services and personal service its:

ETG > GlobalGamers  > QNet > Gamesurge

For reasons of wanting to help this game expand its:

QNet > Gamesurge > ETG > GlobalGamers

There is the crucial difference, all those who want to stay at GGC are being selfish to say the least. On Quakenet i am not effected by netsplits. If i split, im straight back on. I am more effected by netsplits on GGC where I can't get back into the server for ages. Please think of the effect netsplits have on each server, rather than the number of them.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »
I didn't split in ages on both GGC and QNet. (You have to pick the right server... lol)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 12:19:03 PM »
Exactly, I wouldn't know if i have split from QNet or not, which is weird as im quite active on it and have never noticed anything :/

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 02:37:20 PM »
For reasons of chan services and personal service its:

ETG > GlobalGamers  > QNet > Gamesurge

For reasons of wanting to help this game expand its:

QNet > Gamesurge > ETG > GlobalGamers
You mean, ETG is the worst for all of them, right? Do you seriously think ETG was good for our expansion or services-wise? You had to wait a week to register a darn channel.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »
Our community on IRC seems to be pretty dead lately.  There are plenty of people, but no activity.  There are, what, 50 people in #paintball on gg-c?  I come home from work and scroll through like 5 pages of joins/parts and there are maybe 2 lines of actual chat, and that's usually bob making fun of somebody.  There are less than 20 left on ETG, and there's still more conversation going on there, but not by much.

Smokey: are you implying netsplits are any better on gg-c?  It seems they happen pretty frequently, especially considering there are only a couple servers on the network.  And what do you want from services?  I mean, really.  It's IRC.  You join a channel and talk.  If you need anything more than that, it's easy enough to write scripts or a bot.  I haven't really noticed any difference going from ETG to GGC in that respect.  What services do you actually make use of on a regular basis that QNet lacks?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »
Our community on IRC seems to be pretty dead lately.  There are plenty of people, but no activity.  There are, what, 50 people in #paintball on gg-c?  I come home from work and scroll through like 5 pages of joins/parts and there are maybe 2 lines of actual chat, and that's usually bob making fun of somebody.  There are less than 20 left on ETG, and there's still more conversation going on there, but not by much.

Smokey: are you implying netsplits are any better on gg-c?  It seems they happen pretty frequently, especially considering there are only a couple servers on the network.  And what do you want from services?  I mean, really.  It's IRC.  You join a channel and talk.  If you need anything more than that, it's easy enough to write scripts or a bot.  I haven't really noticed any difference going from ETG to GGC in that respect.  What services do you actually make use of on a regular basis that QNet lacks?
Many, namely a Chanserv like service that actually works.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »
Well L on QNet works perfectly, i have no complaints whatsoever about that.

And like I have previously mentioned, the fact that you cannot register a channel on the fly may help the clan scene. If you can't register a channel in an instant it might discourage the 1 week (or even 1 day clans i have seen) clans from emerging, instead forcing people to actually plan out a new clan creation.

Smokey do you actually play this game anymore? Or do you have ulterior motives for not making a valid argument?

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 04:58:07 PM »
What services do you actually make use of on a regular basis that QNet lacks?
Don't know if L/Q has that feature, but !scrim is used quite frequently on GGC.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2007, 09:10:15 PM »
There are less than 20 left on ETG, and there's still more conversation going on there, but not by much.
70% of that conversation is done by me :P

2PAC

• PGP
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
Im with smokey on Gamesurge in the channel #sourceringer its all the ppl spamming  abt how they need a clan and stuff

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2007, 11:08:18 PM »
Smokey do you actually play this game anymore? Or do you have ulterior motives for not making a valid argument?
I don't play. I don't play any games really, no idea why I even stick around, but I'm just not wasting my time elaborating on something to someone who refuses to acknowledge opposing viewpoints.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2007, 02:49:32 AM »
When have I ever refused to acknowledge opposing viewpoints? I encourage people to bring forward arguments opposing my suggestions as that gives me the opportunity to explain the reasons behind my conclusions.

You talk about netsplits, I have tried to give you a valid response. You talk about a lack of services, which I believe I have previously given a valid response to.

There are also many places to get 24/7 bots that either have clan specific commands, or allow you to define your own commands.

To re-iterate on my point. Their are a lack of clan-specific services provided by Q and L (QNet equivalent to Chanserv), however there are many places that offer a bot which you can customise with your own commands and that will idle your channel 24/7. To see this in action you can visit #qehs on QNet and do a !members command (customised more than is allowed on GGC with multiple lines for each squad). Therefore a lack of clan specific functions provided natively by QNet is easily overridden through secondary services.

Thats not a way to get over the lack of a !scrim command however. There is no way that I know of to currently replicate this exactly, but QNet has lots of clans that do actually get matches so it should not have an impact on us, we just need to pick up another method on searching for matches. But, and this is a nice but, the !scrim command is barely effective anyway. I know the majority of my clans matches are not actually gained through !scrim, but by asking clans individually if they can match, which gets rid of the lack of a !scrim command argument.

(I can also say whats the point of a !scrim command when there are only 3 other clans to match? We need more clans to make a !scrim command worthwhile, and one of the best ways to do that in my mind is to move to a larger network, which I have proven brings more players to the game).

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 08:33:28 AM »
When have I ever refused to acknowledge opposing viewpoints? I encourage people to bring forward arguments opposing my suggestions as that gives me the opportunity to explain the reasons behind my conclusions.

You talk about netsplits, I have tried to give you a valid response. You talk about a lack of services, which I believe I have previously given a valid response to.

There are also many places to get 24/7 bots that either have clan specific commands, or allow you to define your own commands.

To re-iterate on my point. Their are a lack of clan-specific services provided by Q and L (QNet equivalent to Chanserv), however there are many places that offer a bot which you can customise with your own commands and that will idle your channel 24/7. To see this in action you can visit #qehs on QNet and do a !members command (customised more than is allowed on GGC with multiple lines for each squad). Therefore a lack of clan specific functions provided natively by QNet is easily overridden through secondary services.

Thats not a way to get over the lack of a !scrim command however. There is no way that I know of to currently replicate this exactly, but QNet has lots of clans that do actually get matches so it should not have an impact on us, we just need to pick up another method on searching for matches. But, and this is a nice but, the !scrim command is barely effective anyway. I know the majority of my clans matches are not actually gained through !scrim, but by asking clans individually if they can match, which gets rid of the lack of a !scrim command argument.

(I can also say whats the point of a !scrim command when there are only 3 other clans to match? We need more clans to make a !scrim command worthwhile, and one of the best ways to do that in my mind is to move to a larger network, which I have proven brings more players to the game).
Ok, then stop crying and complaining that people arn't doing it, do it yourself and prove to us it works. Get more clans, not newbie pub players.

Moe_Lester

• Stingray
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 09:45:49 PM »
Those newby pub players turn out to become dps finest players in the game. LYKE ME .Ij.FTW

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »
darn 3 pages already. wasnt thinking this was going to be a popular thread.

yeah unfortunetly we only have a few users on our irc server at the moment. the day i started this topic is the day the irc server actually started. yesterday we actually had a user join and offer us a shell account for a new server :P soo we got 2 servers in our network now.
i didnt mean to make it sound like we are counting on the dp community to make our server grow. i just thought it would be a nice act to let you guys know about the irc server since it recently has been a hot topic lately.

we are also working on a gaming league for our irc server

basicly its a database\website for clans and people who like to 1v1. basicly you set matches up threw the bot. and the bot records the info after the match. and uploads it to the webspace we provide each clan with

(ive actually have offered the gaming league to dp more then once in the past)

Our community on IRC seems to be pretty dead lately.  There are plenty of people, but no activity.  There are, what, 50 people in #paintball on gg-c?  I come home from work and scroll through like 5 pages of joins/parts and there are maybe 2 lines of actual chat, and that's usually bob making fun of somebody.  There are less than 20 left on ETG, and there's still more conversation going on there, but not by much.

lol thats cause if someone says something friendly in #paintball.. you got like 10 people in there that are going to eventually make fun of that person. DUUUH, you refuse to get rid of the few rotten eggs that have plagued this community from the start. something that will not change now.. everyones to defensive of everything now you cant have a simple conversation with soemone, always thinking its like some sort of competition.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2007, 02:40:58 PM »
lol thats cause if someone says something friendly in #paintball.. you got like 10 people in there that are going to eventually make fun of that person. DUUUH, you refuse to get rid of the few rotten eggs that have plagued this community from the start. something that will not change now.. everyones to defensive of everything now you cant have a simple conversation with soemone, always thinking its like some sort of competition.
I have to agree with uni on this.
Im actually afraid of typing something on any channel this days cause even if i type something like: "sup guys?" there are only 3 things that can happen : -nobody says nothing
                   -someone shouts: "be quiet MEGELHES" (cause im still waiting for someone to type my name right)
                   -get kicked with the msg "WHO CARES!!!!"

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
Ok, then stop crying and complaining that people arn't doing it, do it yourself and prove to us it works. Get more clans, not newbie pub players.

Do you read threads relevant to your posts before you post, or are you just ignorant? I have managed to get some clans playing this game through having a channel on QNet already. I have, and am doing it myself, and have already proved that it works, as i have said over and over and over to you.

However, what significant effect do you expect 1 clan do have? Again, I have posted this before, that in order for this to work the whole community must support it. When they ask where is the games channel what do i say? "Oh we don't have one here". That won't work smokey.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »

Do you read threads relevant to your posts before you post, or are you just ignorant? I have managed to get some clans playing this game through having a channel on QNet already. I have, and am doing it myself, and have already proved that it works, as i have said over and over and over to you.

However, what significant effect do you expect 1 clan do have? Again, I have posted this before, that in order for this to work the whole community must support it. When they ask where is the games channel what do i say? "Oh we don't have one here". That won't work smokey.
I don't see this clan being active in the clan community, and why would you expect us to move to that network without this proof? Yes, its a vicious cycle that eats itself, I know.

Also, nice insults in that post, I think it deserves a temp ban.