Author Topic: Lowering User Limit on Servers  (Read 15111 times)

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 06:12:16 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:16:10 AM by P!nk »

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Lowering User Limit on Servers
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 06:19:08 PM »
LOL

I dont like playing against too many enemies.

If you dont like the 32 ports.....psst dont play on them.

Good day.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
Problem is, no one plays on the 16. A lot of the time, you don't really have a choice.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »
That is a public decision.

How about a formal request instead of a formal complaint. :)

I am game.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 10:27:26 AM »
tell me one map that is unplayable 4v4
palace
crimethink
carpathian
brainstorm
nhb
anubis
tlc
mirror2
sphouse
darkages

They certainly aren't unplayable 4v4, but they end up feeling kind of barren, and people with short attention spans start dropping off the server.  Soon 4v4 becomes 3v2...then a couple more drop off...

Heh, I remember a short time where my friends and I used to do 1 on 1's in some of those maps... good times. also, long games XD.

There is only one server that should be allowed to have more than 20 players max, and thats [OTB] Speed. For the players that love explosive action and WWI-like trench fighting (i.e. people using good cover skills with the barrels and ramps on ub_cliffs) and not just endless suicide runs kinda enjoy Speed. I know I do :) !

But, if the limit was capped, there would inevitably be people who couldnt get into any server during peak playing time, so there would have to be more servers running paintball than before, so it would cost more... so whats worse, paintball having too many players in one server, or having to give "donations" to the server ops to have new servers?

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 11:20:55 AM »
there are plenty servers to support all players if the 32 maxclient-servers would be converted to 16 maxclient-servers, as most servers are currently emtpy

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 12:40:57 PM »
There is only one server that should be allowed to have more than 20 players max, and thats [OTB] Speed.
I couldn't disagree more.  The speed server is the one that needs lower player limits the most.  With short respawns, the crowd never thins out.  If there are 25 players, at least 20 of them are alive, and it's practically impossible to get the round to end.  On servers with a sensible respawn time, even crowded servers thin out pretty quickly at the beginning of the round.

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 12:55:08 PM »
I'm glad to see the support for this. And I completely agree with b00nlander, there would still be plenty of space if the servers were lowered to 16, and wouldn't it be possible to add another server since they were all lowered in limit?

And as far as the speed server goes, i dont think anyone cares about the score on that server, just their own personal stats.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 01:03:37 PM »
There is only one server that should be allowed to have more than 20 players max, and thats [OTB] Speed.
I couldn't disagree more.  The speed server is the one that needs lower player limits the most.  With short respawns, the crowd never thins out.  If there are 25 players, at least 20 of them are alive, and it's practically impossible to get the round to end.  On servers with a sensible respawn time, even crowded servers thin out pretty quickly at the beginning of the round.

The short respawn, endless rounds and overtime play are what make the Speed server one of the most insane servers in the game. when there's 15 guys on the other team firing at you when you are respawning, you have to be quick on your feet, (or fingers) to survive. Hence, Speed.

I think I spelled hence right...

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 01:04:34 PM »
I'm glad to see the support for this.
Sadly that doesnt matter if the server admins dont like the idea...

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
Speed just teaches newbies the wrong idea they need to learn to play without 30 people alive at one time and without 5 second respawn. It would also help OTB get some better people in there a lot more skilled players would want to go if there was only 16 players or less in it.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
Speed just teaches newbies the wrong idea they need to learn to play without 30 people alive at one time and without 5 second respawn. It would also help OTB get some better people in there a lot more skilled players would want to go if there was only 16 players or less in it.

thats insane. saying that Speed is the wrong way to play is like saying that playing real paintball in anything other than woods is wrong. I think its good that theres more than one way to play the game (lots of people, low respawn vs. a few people and waiting your brains out if you die) and that the server player limits aren't controlled by the makers of the game, and that server admins CAN SET THEIR OWN LIMITS. You should all be glad that ALL servers aren't capped at 16 players, because what happens if you want to play Speed? Even if you don't like Speed, what if you decide to give it another try, only to discover that you got it taken away. And Even if Speed isn't taken away, it wouldn't be the same if you only had 8v8 and you could actually tell what you were doing :)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 05:09:01 PM »
The only people who enjoy speed servers are those that don't know any better.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 05:13:31 PM »
I enjoy Speed because of the variety it adds to the game and I don't like playing the same CTF games over and over again.

You just hate Speed cuz its German :P

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 05:14:21 PM »
lekky, they try other servers and they dont like them...

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 05:16:06 PM »
i'm all for keeping a speed server, people do enjoy it. But it shouldnt be the case that a speed server is the only server with players in.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »
Well if thats what players want to play, so be it.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »
I agree with lekky on that. Thats why i like this idea/topic

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 05:20:57 PM »
But the whole POINT of the Speed server is that there is way too many people playing at one time. Thats what makes it different. And as anyone in business knows, Every person/thing/idea needs a gimmick.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »
saying that Speed is the wrong way to play is like saying that playing real paintball in anything other than woods is wrong. I think its good that theres more than one way to play the game (lots of people, low respawn vs. a few people and waiting your brains out if you die) and that the server player limits aren't controlled by the makers of the game, and that server admins CAN SET THEIR OWN LIMITS. You should all be glad that ALL servers aren't capped at 16 players, because what happens if you want to play Speed? Even if you don't like Speed, what if you decide to give it another try, only to discover that you got it taken away. And Even if Speed isn't taken away, it wouldn't be the same if you only had 8v8 and you could actually tell what you were doing
Actually, it's more like saying playing real paintball where you don't have to leave the field when you get hit is wrong.  8v8 on ub_cliff is still way too many.  That map becomes crowded with anything over 2v2.

Back on topic: Shouldn't this issue really be self-correcting?  I mean, if  the majority of people feel the way Y2J does, then when a server becomes too crowded, they will disconnect and find a less crowded server.