Author Topic: noobs with clan tags on  (Read 2051 times)

vLaD

• Autococker
noobs with clan tags on
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:36:01 PM »
hey  jits i was wondering how we can eliminate noobs wearing clan tags when they are not in it.
theres a noob called john wearing nofear tags and all he did was.. instead of [NOFEAR] he put (NOFEAR).

i was wondering if we could register multiple clan tags or make the filter not case sensitive so it would only read the actual clan name and not check the icons around the clan tag like () ][ [].

b00nlander

• Autococker
Re: noobs with clan tags on
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
+1

I bet this will come up a lot as soon as the database is reset.  I think it would be good if you could add several clantags as "reserved", once you register your own clantag. Probably by jitspoe's approval only, to prevent reservation-spam ;)

BliZzaRd

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 04:26:25 PM »
Jits already said he'll be lookin for noobs stealin clan tags and such when the new build is out but yeah if someone steals my name or clan tag ill be pretty mad.

-<VQ>BliZz

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
In my opinion, this is just one more reason to make clan tags alphanumeric ONLY, like the names. This'll just happen more and more as people discover they can do it.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 04:35:17 PM »

Alpha

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 04:35:57 PM »
And I'm still waiting for resetting the database,so that i can register my darn name...

but those )MeMi([insertmerrynoobnamehere] guys are annoying as well...

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:31:36 PM »
I'm waiting for the database reset to see how many names I can steal.

* Cobo adds 'Alpha' to his list.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 10:04:40 PM »
 ;D lmao, nice one Cobo, high-five.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »
if your so worried about name stealing, try putting your names, and for clan leaders, clan tags in your forum signatures, that way you can tell jitspoe if sumone has stolen your name, and it will be on your forum profile, which hopefully will not be reset :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 06:31:53 PM »
In my opinion, this is just one more reason to make clan tags alphanumeric ONLY, like the names. This'll just happen more and more as people discover they can do it.
This isn't feasible.  What if somebody had a clan tag of "e"?  Then you couldn't use your name, since it starts with "e".  If you're referring to just clan registration, then the check is already in there.  If somebody registered [e], another clan couldn't register (e).

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »
So what if I have a clan named Executioners. I cant have (E) because some other team has [E]. If this game grows, then youll have to deal with duplicate clan names. In the game that I came from, there were several clans using very similar tags, or even same tag, and same name. When they ran into each other it was interesting but nothing either of them really could do. It's not like you have a copyright to your clan names or personal gamer tag. Bottom line if this game gets popular then there will be similar tags and names.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 08:00:10 PM »
This isn't feasible.  What if somebody had a clan tag of "e"?  Then you couldn't use your name, since it starts with "e".  If you're referring to just clan registration, then the check is already in there.  If somebody registered [e], another clan couldn't register (e).

Sorry, I should have been more specific. This is what I'd like to see for clan tags:
Alphanumeric-ONLY clan name. This would be how each clan would be identified. For example, "i", "20ID", etc, etc.
'Padding'. This would be what 'separates' the tag from the name. No alphanumeric characters (perhaps even just a couple predefined characters you could choose from). When entering, an 'O' would indicate where the name would go. For example, "-O-", "(O)", ")O(", "]]O[[", etc.

Putting it all together, newbie's has the name 'omg' and padding '-]O[-'. His name in-game would be "-]omg[- newbie".
This system gives clans a decent amount of flexibility in how their tag appears without the confusion of (E) vs [E].

EDIT: BBcode screwed up my post. Had to make minor changes.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:38:31 PM »
eiii: I honestly don't think it would make that much of a difference.  I think ultimately what I'm going to have to do is add clan tag variations to a reserved list upon request.

$hooter: I can change tags by request; they just can't be registered if there's a conflict.  Naturally, clans with the exact same clan tags and/or names won't be able to co-exist.