Author Topic: Guide: General BSP stuff I  (Read 107134 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: BSP Editing Tips, aka "How to make a map."
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »
Yes, apart from included models for plants or other items. You can make tables by changing the grid size down, so you can make smaller brushes.

Pajama-Sam

• Stingray
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
Hey I downloaded the thing I needed off this site and then I unzipped everything. Now what do I do??? I followed what it said at the top, but it doesn't work.  HELP because I have some great Ideas for some maps that will be COOL.  But I need this first!!!

did you click on the bsp file that has the bsp logo thingy madgig next to it? or, did you click on the right link?

oops, dont read this, i didnt look at the date of the post before i answered it lol srry oops,

dang 2005... i answered a question 4 years late lol

SubZero

• PGP
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »
i have a question on how to make walls you can walk through i belive u need to use the "s" key to bring up the window and check something off to make it work but what?

P!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:46:28 AM by P!nk »

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »
I have a problem, because my computer looks to slow for Final compile (High quality)  (2GB ram; 2,5 2-cores processor) !!! That computer too slow?!? I look on ram usage .... up to 2GB ,and then error: Can not Allocation memory.... man! Where is optimization!?!

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
Don't use high quality, i think it doesn't work too well. Just use the normal one and you'll be fine

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
So for what is High quality .... When i compile on this very small map (just room) ,it works very slow, but looks small nicer .... and when i compile not very big map, it's crash .... i think i must have "just" 6GB - 8GB ram to make it works .... lol , thanks JeeJee ,i never use High(? not high-ram-usage) quality :D

PS. why spell check have words: loll and lo ,but not lol :D ?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »
Compilers aren't very RAM heavy, they put all the needs on your processor. My computer is only at 100% CPU usage when I compile, and I have a Intel Core 2 Quad q9450 at 3.65 Ghz

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Spook, you SAID "they put all the needs on your processor" . What ARE you thinking?? It puts needs on the L3 or L2 memory (I don't think so Cheesy ) ?? Or ARE you thinking about "It using processor a lot" ? When i compile A map i have 100% processor usage (Intel Core 2 Duo 5200 at 2.50 Ghz). But when i compile at high quality (DO you compile map on same ??) processor usage is ALSO on 100% and that'S noT bad, but ram usage is going up: 512Mb .... 1GB .... 2GB ,and error (with progress on 3-4 ) because i have 2GB of ram, and THE compiler can't alloc any more! But WHY DOES it alloc 2GB of ram!?! Spook you SAID "Compilers aren't very RAM heavy." So what DO you say now (TELL me how much of ram you have, i think 4GB )?? Oh, and TELL me what map you ARE compilING?

EDIT: Repaired some mistakes .... (Thanks S8NSSON)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:54:25 AM by payl »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
I run 8 GB's of RAM and I use the non-high quality final compiler. From what I've seen, all the strain is on your processor.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2009, 05:29:22 AM »
Spook, you say "they put all the needs on your processor" . What you thinking about?? It putting needs to L3 or L2 memory (I don't think so :D ) ?? Or you thinking about "It using processor a lot" ? When i compile map, i have 100% processor usage (Intel Core 2 Duo 5200 at 2.50 Ghz). But when i compile at high quality (You compile map on same ??) processor usage is too on 100% and that no bad, but ram usage is going up: 512Mb .... 1GB .... 2GB ,and error (on progress is on 3-4 ) because i have 2GB of ram, and compiler can't alloc any more! But WHY it alloc 2GB of ram!?! Spook you say "Compilers aren't very RAM heavy" ,and what you say now (say me how much of ram you have, i think 4GB )?? Oh, and say me what map you compiles?

Is this run through a translator? Seriously?

FIXED:: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop learning English from a web translator. It's so painful to read.
Spook, you SAID "they put all the needs on your processor" . What ARE you thinking?? It puts needs on the L3 or L2 memory (I don't think so Cheesy ) ?? Or ARE you thinking about "It using processor a lot" ? When i compile A map i have 100% processor usage (Intel Core 2 Duo 5200 at 2.50 Ghz). But when i compile at high quality (DO you compile map on same ??) processor usage is ALSO on 100% and that'S noT bad, but ram usage is going up: 512Mb .... 1GB .... 2GB ,and error (with progress on 3-4 ) because i have 2GB of ram, and THE compiler can't alloc any more! But WHY DOES it alloc 2GB of ram!?! Spook you SAID "Compilers aren't very RAM heavy." So what DO you say now (TELL me how much of ram you have, i think 4GB )?? Oh, and TELL me what map you ARE compilING?[\quote]

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »
Spook: When i run on non-high quality ,and it's ok. Problem is witch high quality!!

S8NSSON: Sorry for my bad english :D ,no it isn't run by translator :D ... heh it's just my english xD (and thanks for help me in learning it)

EDIT: I write it moment before i sleep, and now i see some of my mistakes :D ("say me how much of ram you have" - oops)

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
Does the highquality one even work properly? And what's the difference anyways?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »
Just ran the High Quality on my map Gateway, didn't notice any changes, and still, my RAM usage was at the constant rate of 17%. CPU at 100 though, so I conclude that the BSP compilers are heavy on CPU usage and don't rely on the RAM as much.

Fuzz Ball

• VM-68
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
Just ran the High Quality on my map Gateway, didn't notice any changes, and still, my RAM usage was at the constant rate of 17%. CPU at 100 though, so I conclude that the BSP compilers are heavy on CPU usage and don't rely on the RAM as much.

Yep but remember smaller PCs unlike your ultimate one need a decent RAM (e.g. 1GB) to run it properly. Anything else will probably lag regardless of the processor.

payl

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2009, 04:48:37 AM »
Spook: You ram usage is 17% ?? This is 1.36 GB ... :D . Try compile really big map :D

JeeJee: Yeah, on my computer i compile small map good, but for bigger... i have just 2GB ram ... . Difference is witch lights, high quality- better lighting .

Fuzz Ball: You don't understood i think: To run map at high quality i think you need 128Mb of ram ...

Oh, and remember my question: Why RAM usage is big on high quality ?? Where is code optimization???

Pajama-Sam

• Stingray
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
i have a question on how to make walls you can walk through i belive u need to use the "s" key to bring up the window and check something off to make it work but what?

yes, you do

and you use the 'mist' option in the surface properties window

=] happy mapping =]

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »
yes, you do

and you use the 'mist' option in the surface properties window

=] happy mapping =]

Didn't care to read the post from P!nk?

Pajama-Sam

• Stingray
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
how do you add a model, where are the model files to put the path/model thing in, and what do you put in place of path/model?

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2009, 02:16:49 AM »
func_model

"model" "path to the model, for example models/plants/bigleaf2.md2"