Author Topic: Useful Mapping Tool  (Read 3856 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Useful Mapping Tool
« on: June 23, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
I made this texture (below) for determining realistic measurements of other objects in games.  I've found if very useful in mapping and in texture creation.

Each mark is 1 foot.  I assumed the player model to be between 5'10" (average for US) and 6 foot.

I'm sure some people will find this very useful, and others very confusing.

Note in the 2nd picture, the concrete brick/tiles look normal, but in reality are 12 foot x 12 foot each.

Cheers,
y00tz

edit - I forgot this, but I have a tga file of the ruler with the white part transparent.  Available on request.

In the third screenshot, you'll see that the room is 12 foot tall.  This is very tall for a room, but don't be alarmed.. paintball2 game play dictates it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:10:39 PM by y00tz »

sudo

• PGP
Re: Useful Mapping Tool
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:19 PM »
Handy.  I had a really crappy quad-tile texture to try to do stuff like this.  It was reminiscent of the Legend of Zelda: Windwaker Action Replay levels.  とにかく...

Thanks much!

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »
Ooooh. This could come in handy. Thanks. And could you PM/Email me a link/zip for the tga?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
Along the same lines, something I've thought would be pretty useful and haven't gotten around to making yet is a simple dialog box app where you can enter in the player height (default being around 6 feet) and length in any unit of measurement and it would convert it to all other units: feet, inches, meters, game units.  It would also be handy to have a special value that "rounds" to the closest "nice" game unit.  So if you entered something like 1 foot, it would be a little over 9 units, but 8 units would lead to better texture alignment, so it would suggest that.  If you entered something like 50 yards, it would be 1400 units, but 1408 is the closest multiple of 128, so it would suggest that.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:28:13 PM »
Along the same lines, something I've thought would be pretty useful and haven't gotten around to making yet is a simple dialog box app where you can enter in the player height (default being around 6 feet) and length in any unit of measurement and it would convert it to all other units: feet, inches, meters, game units.  It would also be handy to have a special value that "rounds" to the closest "nice" game unit.  So if you entered something like 1 foot, it would be a little over 9 units, but 8 units would lead to better texture alignment, so it would suggest that.  If you entered something like 50 yards, it would be 1400 units, but 1408 is the closest multiple of 128, so it would suggest that.

I like the idea of it, I whipped up a little something...
It serves a purpose, just doesn't determine the closest one, merely rounds down.

Is it worth releasing?

Edit - made a slight adjustment ... 3rd screenie
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 09:08:16 PM by y00tz »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 11:01:33 PM »
That looks handy. Link?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:19:14 PM »

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:21:18 PM »
Sweet. Thanks!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 11:40:08 PM »
I got a question in IRC today, and it occured to me not everyone has  Wally, so here is the .Wal and texture files for ruler.tga.

put the "pball2" folder in your bsp directory (e.g. C:/bsp/)
put the "pball" folder in your paintball directory (e.g. C:/games/paintball2/)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »
Not bad.  All it needs is a place to enter the assumed player height in case people want to tweak things a bit.  Also, I'd make it round to the closest value instead of rounding down.  57 should round to 64 instead of 0 at 64 unit multiples.  It would also be handy to auto-populate the values immediately instead of having to click the run button.

What did you write this with?  It's requiring "mscoree.dll".  Hope it doesn't require the .NET framework to be installed...

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
That pic has .net framework written all over it :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
Not bad.  All it needs is a place to enter the assumed player height in case people want to tweak things a bit.
I just did that.

Also, I'd make it round to the closest value instead of rounding down.  57 should round to 64 instead of 0 at 64 unit multiples.  It would also be handy to auto-populate the values immediately instead of having to click the run button.
Yeah, I'm planning on it.  I put that together in 25 minutes.

What did you write this with?  It's requiring "mscoree.dll".  Hope it doesn't require the .NET framework to be installed...
VB.Net.  I didn't "write" it...  Or else it would have taken me a few hours.  I'm not much of a coder :( :(  Probably requires .NET to be installed.  Is .NET not as widespread as I thought it to be?

That pic has .net framework written all over it :P
No kidding :P

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 10:01:39 PM »
Is .NET not as widespread as I thought it to be?

Well, Vista comes pre-packaged with it, and I think there was some update some time ago for XP. So if it isn't widespread, it will be.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:58 PM »
I have it on XP it comes with the dare I say Windows Updates. :o

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 05:13:12 PM »
I have .NET and  nice job on both y00tz that will be very useful for my farm map as well as others I have in store.
Edit I'll have that tga file too.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 03:33:53 AM »
For those without .NET, I compiled it to a library and converted the necessary files to run on ASP.NET, i.e. on a web server.
So you don't have to download it or have .NET .. or Windows for that matter.

Anyway, it's just a straight port, nothing new added.  It's not even a port really, since it's literally the same code in a different environment.

http://michaelnuber.com/aspx/dpconvert/
Enjoy.

Erm, I forgot to mention, just like the original application - this features NO error handling. Will fix in next release of both.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I converted DPConvert (right) to an online application (left)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:10:14 AM by y00tz »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:10 AM »
Umm when  Itry to enter numbers in the boxes they don't work....

:p

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »
@Knack:
Ouch, hmmm weird.

@Anyone else:
Is this working for you guys?

editttt:
Haha, I just realized that I effed this up, Jits said that people could enter assumed height, and I assumed he meant from the discussion of whether the player models was  56 or 57 pixels, and here he meant like, 5'9", 6'1", 6'4" etc.  Will also fix in next release.

Quote from: y00tz
y00tz is a n00b!
^So true.