Author Topic: New Map: Discovery  (Read 26749 times)

MosEz

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Discovery
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 01:23:10 AM »
We have played 2 matches on it and its awesome.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 02:59:08 AM »
very hard for teams who doesnt use ts. We played it against darkness without ts (3v3) and lost 2 times pretty badly :(.

So how many ways to go to roof atm? I counted 5 jumps + ways from base using tunnels.

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 03:29:26 AM »
but it was a good game for the first time

and then i have a question. Is it possible if u can do this?
It would be nice if there is a 3rd way to get the 2nd flag.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:04:59 AM by MosEz »

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 04:00:09 AM »
K, I have some suggestions now.

http://www.zone.ee/scythe/sshot036.jpg?2

Isnt the glass a bit too thick?

http://www.zone.ee/scythe/sshot037.jpg?2

that pole im pointing. Should be made a bit higher, so 1 jump to roof becomes possible.

6 jumps to roof atm, if that pole gets lifted, then 7 ^.^
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:57:31 AM by KnacK »

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 04:32:37 AM »
If this is impossible then maybe that?

Viper

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 09:00:35 AM »

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 09:34:54 AM »
One of these was in the jump videos, but I'm not sure. Are you meant to be able to do this? (demo)

edit: ignore filename

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
What's the file name?

Steve.taking.skaters.mom.anal.UK.DVD-RiP.XXX.XviD

;D  :o

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »
Again to my picutres. It Would be nice If both would work so u can come from the ice grab the 2nd and jump high out. This would be awesome and more fun

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »
MosEz, I don't think I like that idea. If he put in your suggestion, then that would become the only traveled path being that is the quickest.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »
I agree with Zorchenhimer.  2nd Flag is out of the way already (and thus hard to defend), so it is already easy to get there and to get out as well. There are like 3-4 paths to the 2nd flag, if I remember correctly, so adding another, faster way would not make much sense.
On the other hand, I'd first playtest this current version extensively before making any changes.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 11:44:12 AM »
A 3. way to the second flag might be useful, but how zorch and pure said, the ways shouldn't be to easy or to fast. I will have a look, where i maybe can add a way (not faster than an other excist way), but i will never add ways, that you can go to the 1. flag direct, then direct to the 2. and then direct outside. I think that wouldn't make fun.

Yeah blaa, the glass is a bit too thick. I will change it for b5.

But the pole idea of you is horrible ;D. It was possible on an earlier beta, but it was soo boring, because it was also to easy and to fast. Lots of jumps loose their sence, if it would be soo easy to get high. So i decided to make this jump impossible.

One of these was in the jump videos, but I'm not sure. Are you meant to be able to do this? (demo)
To get in is easy, to get out is more hard. Maybe i will make this jump easier, but i thought, if you are low, you can come high very fast about the stone.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 08:38:34 PM »
http://www.zone.ee/scythe/sshot037.jpg?2

that pole im pointing. Should be made a bit higher, so 1 jump to roof becomes possible.

It is possible to jump from that pole to the roof with a little speed (demo attached).  I'm not sure if that's what you meant, though.  I do agree it could be made a little more accessible, though.  I don't quite understand why it was made "impossible" when there are things like the barrel just to the left of it that you can jump up (also in the demo).

As pretty much everybody has said, you really need to work on the r_speeds.  The framerate pretty rough on one of my machines, and I know it would be unplayable for a lot of people.

I see you've already scaled up the water texture, which should help with the r_speeds some.  It has kind of an interesting effect when reflective water is disabled.

Things that need tweaking:
- When you get up on some of the high areas, you can see through parts of the wall, which looks bad (discovery_seethroughwalls.jpg)
- The sky you're using is copyrighted material from Quake2.  I don't believe it's legal to use it.
- Several crate textures are misaligned (discovery_boxalignment.jpg).  The light boards should be on the edges.
- When the elevator lifts up out of the ground (discovery_elevatoringround.jpg), it looks like it's still there.  Shouldn't there be a hole in the ground where it came out of?
- I didn't even notice this for a long time, but there's a really thin strip of metal texture that goes along the top and bottom edge of the ledge (dicovery_thinmetal.jpg).  I don't think anybody would notice if you removed these polygons to help cut down your r_speeds a little.

Great work, though.  Keep it up.  I'll upload it to the beta server shortly.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2007, 08:39:50 PM »
Couldn't fit that last attachment on.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 01:53:47 AM »
you haven't even found the spot with 5200 wpoly? :P

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 11:16:54 AM »
It is possible to jump from that pole to the roof with a little speed (demo attached).  I'm not sure if that's what you meant, though.  I do agree it could be made a little more accessible, though.  I don't quite understand why it was made "impossible" when there are things like the barrel just to the left of it that you can jump up (also in the demo).
I am to stupid for this jump :). In the earlier beta it was soo easy, that almost everyone would go this fast direct way (that's the horrible point of the idea :D). That was just boring. But i also would say it is ok, if the jump is possible, but hard(er?), like in this beta.

The sky you're using is copyrighted material from Quake2.  I don't believe it's legal to use it.
The sky was in some pack i get from this forum (i believe sth. of stigma). But if you say, it isn't legal, i will change it for b5 :'(

The r_speeds . . . I should make smaller maps :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2007, 12:53:16 PM »
But i also would say it is ok, if the jump is possible, but hard(er?), like in this beta.
After watching the jump video, it looks like it's possible to ramp directly off of the rock onto the roof, which would be faster and more direct than using the pole.

To be honest, I'm really not a fan of the "hard" jumps.  They just widen the skill gap between players and make the game less fun with a mixed skill level crowd.  Is it even possible to get on the roof from the outdoor area without using some kind of trick jump?

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »
Yap, see the demo.

Maybe the first jump isn't easy for all players, but the second way is very easy without a hard jump.

There is also the way about the ice, then about the ramp, then to the side i closed the demo, but this way goes through the other base.

And there are lots of "harder" jumps to get high, but i know, you want to see the easy ways :)

http://otbclan.ot.funpic.de/otb/Maps/Discovery/discovery_b4_easyroof.dm2

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 12:52:30 PM »
Wow your map looks amazing.  It sort of has a Propaint3/Midnight/Mirror2 feel to it.

The only thing I can say is, it is humongous.  There are so many paths, that it seems like you will rarely ever see anyone.  If used in a match, it's probably going to be one of those maps that people just keep capping flags and it is over in like 2 minutes.

MsH

• PGP
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2007, 01:24:51 PM »
nice and funny map :D