Author Topic: New Map: Discovery  (Read 26748 times)

MosEz

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Discovery
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 01:47:41 PM »

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Probably talking about propaint2

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »
Nah, he means propaint3. It's still in beta stage, but it has that feel

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 06:32:32 PM »
Oh cool Crash is putting out a third :)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2007, 08:18:15 AM »
I finished the next beta. Very thanks for the suggestions.

discovery_b5.bsp
discovery_b5.rar

But there left a few things, i can't realy handle.

1. The r_speeds. I fixed and added hints (is it true that they must go into the wall 8 units?) in the outdoor area, changed the the things you said and scaled up the water. I think there isn't much to do with vis blocker without distroying the map :(. But what can i do more for lower r_speeds?

2. The part where you can see through the walls. I made the wall higher, but there are still parts of the map, where you can see through it. Are there any other possibilities to change that? Or have i to do a more higher wall, wich looks bad, i think.

3. A 3. way to the 2. flag.

In the mapfile ot this beta i have added a new way, but i have closed it with brushes, so you can't see it in the map. If i delete the brushes without adding light, there comes a max_patches error. With light of course also. I tried to scale up different textures, some textures to 10x10 just for testing, but i couldn't find a way, that the compile works (hope that in a new map format are higher or no limits :)). Are here any possibilities, that the way works? Maybe an other compiler?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »
<33333333333333333333333333333333333

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 08:05:09 AM »
ya try this its an alternative to my way ;)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:45 AM »
Propaint3

Oh cool Crash is putting out a third :)

Crash is going to have me finish the propaint 3 map... but ive got a few im working on i dont see it being released for quite some time

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »
Propaint3 should be good, i seen some screenshots and it looks tight.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2007, 01:29:15 PM »
Hint brushes will only do so much.  They actually create more polygons, but in doing so, if placed correctly, will break the map up so that the visibility of certain areas is removed (and thus creating fewer visible polygons).  I don't think they have to be 8 units into the wall.  The best way to test the effectiveness of them is to set deathmatch 0, then load the map and set gl_showtris 1.  You will be able to see outlines of all the polygons drawn.

Unfortunately in your map, you've got the two biggest r_speed increasing factors combined: large, open areas and water.  There's also a lot of detail, to boot.   I'm not sure if there's a way to reduce them much without a major restructuring.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »
Now i finished the next beta.

discovery_b6.bsp
discovery_b6.rar

I changed the walls where you were able to see through.
Then i changed some textures back to size 1.0.
I also talked to sort because of the limits of the compiler. He told me how I can add the new way without getting an error, so there is the new way in this beta.
But i had to reduce the light quality a bit, I have attached screenshots with the old light and with the new light. I think it is almost the same ;)

The only thing I am not happy about are the r_speeds, but there aren't any ways to reduce them more without making a new map :-\.

This could be the final version of discovery. So please test the map ;)

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »
It's looking really good, the barrel plants look a little weird and unnatural though, other than that and some weird alignments, keep working on it.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »
Looking pretty good I don't see much of a difference by the way how do you get past the error I hate that thing.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2007, 01:35:37 PM »
Wow, I hadn't played it since beta4, sheesh I love this map.  What was your inspiration for it?

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
Oh, I want to make a big map (sorry, i don't want to make a map with high r_speeds :P) with two flags for each team. Then i looked for nice maps and tried to make this map from the good parts/ideas of the other maps :D

TinMan, i just know about a misaligned texture of the barrels infront of the base. Can you make a demo or screenshots of the weird looking textures, please?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »
Looking good.  Shame there's not much you can do to help the r_speeds without significantly changing the map.  There are still some sections that look bad from the roof where you can see through parts of the wall and things flicker and and out of view (see attached shot).  One small suggestion I have is to put something on the jump pads to make it more obvious.  Like those arrows you have at the base entrance would work pretty well -- just put a smaller version of them on the top of the jump pad in the direction it launches you.

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but you can't walk through the doors while in observer like you should be able to.  What entity did you use for those?  Also, you might be able to use a func_areaportal on those to help cut down on the r_speeds while they're closed, but it's really hard to get those to play nice and do what you want.

I've put the map up on the beta server for testing.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »
Thanks, I have to look how the func_areaportals work, but i will try to make them working.

For the doors i used func_doors targeted with trigger_multiples, that they opened earlier.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »
Ah.  They seem to open later than normal doors, but maybe that's just because they move slowly.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
Today and tomorrow i have time to map at this map.

So i fixed some textures and tried to add the
areaportals. But they don't work. There comes a warning, that there aren't 2 areas. I think it is because of the windows left and right of the doors. Couldn't I make them working now?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2007, 02:32:19 PM »
The two 'areas' you put the area portals between have to have no way to see each other except through the areaportals. So, windows, second paths, will kill it for you.