Author Topic: Segmentation fault - Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)  (Read 2301 times)

PLazTiC

• PGP
Segmentation fault - Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
« on: June 25, 2007, 04:51:05 AM »
Bug: Starting paintball2 with ./paintball2 gives segmentation fault

HW: VMware ESX 3.01

Any ideas? It's been a while (v1.6x) since I ran a dp2 server in Linux. Lots have changed, is there any new docs to read?

\plaztic

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Segmentation fault - Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:45:40 AM »
Are you starting it in dedicated mode?  If you're not than it might be trying to load the OpenGL library, which might be segfaulting since you're running in a Linux VM.

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »
.. yeah .. but as my momma never taught me not to run things as root  ::) ... But that was after I ended up upgrading it to release 19.

I'm going to revert back to release 18 to see if there were any problems or if it was me ..  :-[

\plaz

PainKe

• Stingray
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:32:27 PM »
I had same problem...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:01:07 PM »
If you're running a dedicated server, you need to be starting it like:

./paintball2 +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg +map midnight

Not just "./paintball2"

Edit: Are you familiar with gdb?  If you type "gdb paintball2" then "run +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg +map midnight" then (after it crashes) type "up" a few times, it should tell you what function it crashed in.

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »

Edit: Are you familiar with gdb?  If you type "gdb paintball2" then "run +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg +map midnight" then (after it crashes) type "up" a few times, it should tell you what function it crashed in.

Nope, but a wild guess would be gnu debug or something?

@painkE
Don't do the misstake I did and try to run the game as root, wont start .. think I issued ./paintball --help or something and it told me big no no.

@jitspoe
Maybe you could add a function that if you try to run the game as root with all the arguments it would tell you it's not allowed.

I've reread my reply and I admit it's a bit fuzzy. It did work when I ran it as a normal user .. so I dont think anything were wrong with the software :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »
So running the game as root was your problem?  Didn't know that didn't work.  I guess I never tried it.  Is everything good now?

PLazTiC

• PGP
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 09:47:33 AM »
Yupp, everything seems nice and dandy. About the root problem, could be that this distro (ubuntu) has some automatic checks if you run programs as root (which generally is a bad idea). Would be good if you could verify this on your system (Is Sad still around?) and make a pointer in the faq / docs.

\plaz