Author Topic: Cheat by Disconnect  (Read 16332 times)

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
Re: Cheat by Disconnect
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2007, 09:17:59 PM »
Several of the big clans have people who have been caught cheating in the past, but Ij easily has the record for the number of their members who were previous hackers, on multiple occasions.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2007, 04:57:36 AM »
OK ....

Let's keep the discussion back on cheating by disconnecting.

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2007, 08:46:48 AM »
You know there is an easy way to prevent this. Make the rules of the matches, to where the flag has to be at the base to cap. This would prevent disconnecters, and nothing has to be updated in the game.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »
Make the rules of the matches, to where the flag has to be at the base to cap.
Thats a terrible config in my opinion.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2007, 09:30:03 AM »
You know there is an easy way to prevent this. Make the rules of the matches, to where the flag has to be at the base to cap. This would prevent disconnecters, and nothing has to be updated in the game.
A couple problems with this:
- There is no standard written set of match rules
- Flag must be at base is a huge change to the CTF dynamics.  Flag trading has been an important strategy for top-tier teams for almost a decade.
- If a team has a clear shot at a cap with their own flag(s) at base, they are still susceptible to having their opponents disconnect to prevent points.

jitspoe's suggestions have made the most sense.  I'm still upset at the change that was made which allowed players joining a team to spawn in after 60s rather than the next round.  Sometimes teams abuse this by subbing players mid-round or going observer and rejoining to prevent respawns.

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2007, 10:27:28 AM »
Yeah but this is the simplest way of preventing it without having to add a feature to the game and waiting on a new build. Yeah I see what your saying about the disconnect in a sure cap situation for the other team. They do not get 5 pts before the disconnect, and the other team still gets 3pts., while they get 0 pts. If your team had the flag as well as the other team having the flag, why would you disconnect to take your chances away to get 3 or 5 pts, its just not logical to give the other team 3 pts. unless its in a tight game and you already have the lead with a min or 2 to go. Which then would you really want your team trashed on the forums for disconnecting in a tight game? Its really not a huge change to the CTF dynamic as the object is still to cap the flag. I also think it adds more skill to the game. As no longer can you just strategize getting the caps the fastest, you have to strategize to protect your flag and also get the other teams flag at the same time. Though if we combine this feature with password changes at the start of the match, this would let the team in control of the server have the ability to tell the members the new pass.

So there is really no quick fix, we could come up with a hall of shame for these clans that do this. I mean you couldnt just go by someones word. I mean if they had a demo or a screenshot of the offense, as this poster does, then the clans would be added to the list. It is not right that clans do not get punished for such behavior, even if atm there is no way to prevent it from happening.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
I basically agree with shooter. I think having the flag-must-be-at-base thing would be good for matches.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:55 PM »
no it wouldnt. So many occasions when your flag is not home because you know your enemy is there and you wont send it and in this case you wont be able to cap on him...
or when you are losing and both you and your enemy grab its obvious that your enemy will try to evade you so both cap...
I've been matching like this for 10 months and i've always liked it.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »
Its really not a huge change to the CTF dynamic as the object is still to cap the flag. I also think it adds more skill to the game. As no longer can you just strategize getting the caps the fastest, you have to strategize to protect your flag and also get the other teams flag at the same time.
I will admit that flag must be at base is usually a rule in most other CTF variations (q2, q3, q4, etc.), but the other thing to keep in mind is that they usually have instant or 2-3s respawns.  If people are going to hate on campers and "liners" as much as they do now, then flag must be at base is just going to escalate the whining to a whole new level.  Defensive strategies are accepted, but camping at flags with the way most bases are designed is really frowned upon.  If this flag must be at base setting is changed, most maps wouldn't work and new maps would need to be changed such that flags are placed well ahead of the spawns and very accessible by multiple routes.

Though if we combine this feature with password changes at the start of the match, this would let the team in control of the server have the ability to tell the members the new pass.
I believe mid-match password change is a horrible idea.  It creates an opportunity for abuse by the team that controls or has reserved the server.  The match environment that exists now is very casual in the way that matches are started on the fly, teammate spectators are allowed and mid-match substitutes have become part of the game.  Since I've started playing this is how the competitive scene has been, and they've always been very resistant to change.

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »
Let them adapt or whine....

Yeah i thought that was implied on the second part. Where I said one team would have control over the pass

And about changing the matching scene in this game. Its just about dead....,

When I match with my clan there are no spectators, thats just stupid.

To Mag:
Thats why you dont let the other team start winning. If your never losing you dont have to worry about this lol. Comebacks shouldnt be easy.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
OMG OMG this is so funny that u guys get this worked up over an online game. Yes JiGSaW was wrong by disconnecting, but he made a mistake. ToMas Vendetta also tryed the idea of "dOnTT MattCHH iJ!!111" didnt work too well, just shows that they arent on the same skill level.

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2007, 03:24:36 PM »
Who wants to match with an unsportmanship clan, yes I know this sounds stupid but Im in a good mood today...

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2007, 03:26:05 PM »
Much less fun wothout comebacks ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »
I'm still upset at the change that was made which allowed players joining a team to spawn in after 60s rather than the next round.  Sometimes teams abuse this by subbing players mid-round or going observer and rejoining to prevent respawns.
I don't really remember that change, but I think the good outweighs the bad.  Some rounds never end, or go on for 10-15 minutes, so a new player connecting would be stuck not being able to play during that time.  (I really think flagcapendsround should be set on pub servers to cut down on the endless rounds/capfests, but that's another issue).  Even during matches, players may legitimately disconnect due to connection issues or whatever, and the team would be forced to play the remainder of the round one man down.  I'm not sure why mid-round subbing would be considered abuse.

... and new maps would need to be changed such that flags are placed well ahead of the spawns and very accessible by multiple routes.
That's the way maps should be anyway, regardless of settings, otherwise teams tend to use the "pull ahead then stay in the base" tactic, preventing the enemy team from being able to grab the flag without first killing all of the defense.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
Here's something funny I had this exact scenario happen to me today in a scrim with j4f.

Here's a screenshot:

Money

• PGP
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2007, 12:15:25 AM »
actually kilo i was lagging so bad i wanted to reconnect to see if it would help. as u can see in this demo i do lag alot and if im ever completely still im most likely lagging out.
(i love the part when kilo calls out Aimbot and Wallhack=] )
and dont ask how i play with uBer lag and 70 fps

http://rapidshare.com/files/40910622/auto_20070703_174355_propaint1.dm2.html

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2007, 12:52:16 AM »
wow what kind of textures are those? my dp doesnt look nearly as good as that does.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2007, 03:22:12 AM »
wow what kind of textures are those? my dp doesnt look nearly as good as that does.
If you are talking about mine, they are high-res textures.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2007, 08:31:07 AM »
Here's something funny I had this exact scenario happen to me today in a scrim with j4f.

Here's a screenshot:

and since I was sitting next to MONEY as he was matching and our dialup was crapping out, I'll vouch for him.

<off-topic>

and don't get me started on all the hacking accusations since I saw the whole match...
* KnacK glares @ Kilo

</off-topic>

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »
If you are talking about mine, they are high-res textures.

And tile terribly